[net.nlang] Why the vax, but not the Unix??

emery@gypsy.UUCP (06/06/85)

Why is it that some things do not take the definite article?

In particular, why do programs run on THE Vax
			   but run on Unix?  (no article???)

We tried to come up with an explanation, but failed.  I argued that
maybe it's because software is some sort of collective noun, but
this didn't seem to work either.

			Thanks

			Dave Emery
			...princeton!siemens!emery

halle@hou2b.UUCP (J.HALLE) (06/07/85)

Why "the VAX" and not "the UNIX"?
Because using UNIX as a noun is incorrect.  The trademark UNIX
is an adjective which must modify something:
	the UNIX operating system
	the UNIX kernal
etc.
So try using it properly if you want the article included.

ron@brl-tgr.ARPA (06/07/85)

> Why "the VAX" and not "the UNIX"?
> Because using UNIX as a noun is incorrect.  The trademark UNIX
> is an adjective which must modify something:
> 	the UNIX operating system
> 	the UNIX kernal
> etc.
> So try using it properly if you want the article included.

WRONG, VAX is a trademark, also.  They should both be adjectives.
The real reason is probably because a VAX is a single object where
UNIX (as most operating systems) are more intangible things.

runs under UNIX, written in Fortran, written in English, not
written in the English (but, written in the book)

-Ron

nather@utastro.UUCP (Ed Nather) (06/07/85)

> Why is it that some things do not take the definite article?
>
> In particular, why do programs run on THE Vax
> 			   but run on Unix?  (no article???)

Unix is a proper noun (a name), Vax is a *kind* of computer, but not the
name given to one.  I run programs under THE Unix operating system, but
under Unix, the same way I run under THE tree to get out of the rain, but
run under Mabel if that is the tree's given name.

--
Ed Nather
Astronony Dept, U of Texas @ Austin

abc@brl-sem.ARPA (06/07/85)

To add to what Ron said, for whatever reasons, computers seem
to take the article, software in geneal does not.

Thus a probram runs under (VMS, UNIX, RT-11, EXEC-8) on the
(1180, VAX, ENIAC, TRS-80).  The reason may have to do with
the evolution of operating systems as software to support
programing in languages.  Now,that goes 'way back; se never
wrote in The English, The Franch, etc.
Brint

nrh@lzwi.UUCP (N.R.HASLOCK) (06/07/85)

VAX is a machine, UNIX is an operating system which can run on it.
Note the equivalent use of the 3B vs VMS.

	Nigel	Madly Mumbling English into the wilderness

zben@umd5.UUCP (06/08/85)

Why "the VAX" and not "the UNIX"?  There is a problem of collectivization
and physical presence here.  If your installation has only one VAX, it is
probable your people say "the VAX" to refer to that collection of boxes in
the corner.  Since we have several here, more people refer to them as
"the department's machine", CINCOM (sin-comm), or use the network names
like umcp-cs or cvl.  In any case, there is a physically locatable box
or collection of cabinets.  Thus people say "the <object>".

By the way, you don't usually use the "the" when the object is NAMED.
You would say "the network manager", but not "the Bill Smith".  In the same
way we would say "the department's 780" but not "the umcp-cs".  We would
just say "umcp-cs".

Note also that to collectively refer to the many VAX computers out there
a lot of people use the coined term "VAXEN", probably a derivative of
"vixen" or something.  There is probably some language that has contributed
to English that uses a suffix "en" to denote a ploural, and subconscious
memory supplies the usage.  In any case, we say "on vaxen" rather than
"on THE vaxen".

On the other hand, UNIX is a pretty nebulous thing.  You can't exactly
point to memory box 5 and say "the UNIX lives there".  Consider an IBM
virtual system that might have 5 or 10 copies of UNIX running in separate
virtual machines...

You find this "the-less" usage with most software, since it is not locatable.
When I say "in SPSS you ..." I mean that on any computer running the SPSS
program you would "...".  The usage is the same with UNIX.  I mean any system
running the UNIX program.

--
Ben Cranston  ...{seismo!umcp-cs,ihnp4!rlgvax}!cvl!umd5!zben  zben@umd2.ARPA

lambert@boring.UUCP (06/08/85)

> Why "the VAX" and not "the UNIX"?
> Because using UNIX as a noun is incorrect.  The trademark UNIX
> is an adjective which must modify something:
>  the UNIX operating system
>  the UNIX kernal
> etc.
> So try using it properly if you want the article included.

I don't buy this explanation. I have seen "UNIX" used as a noun hundreds of
times. For example, in "man learn" we find:

     "learn - computer aided instruction about UNIX"

     "*Learn* gives Computer Aided Instruction courses and practice
     in the use of UNIX, the C Shell, and the Berkeley text editors."

     "The main strength of *learn*, that it asks the student to use
     the real UNIX, also makes possible baffling mistakes."

If "UNIX" is replaced by an adjective, these sentences become
ungrammatical.  Many more examples can be found on other man pages.

Just like we cannot say "the UNIX", we cannot (normally) say "a UNIX",
whereas "a Vax" is quite normal.  Although there are different types of
Vaxen, in saying "a Vax" we do not indicate a type (like 11/780), but an
instance (like "the Vax in the basement").  So, even though there are many
UN*Xes now, in normal speech "UNIX" stands for the abstraction "the
friendly operating system designed by hackers that changed the world" or
something like that--never mind all the versions.  *All* software names are
used in the same way as names of cities, like "New York": one cannot say
"the New York" (but one *can* say: "the real New York").  Even though this
may not be an *explanation*, it seems at least to be the rule.
--

     Lambert Meertens
     ...!{seismo,okstate,garfield,decvax,philabs}!lambert@mcvax.UUCP

barryg@sdcrdcf.UUCP (Lee Gold) (06/09/85)

Unfortunately, answering that UNIX is an adjective doesn't solve the problem.
In this language, it's perfectly proper to use adjectives as nouns.  It's
called metonymy (I think) in poetics, but my Linguistics prof just called
it function shift to say stuff like "floating in the blue" or "Things are
sunny" or "Black is beautiful."

As you'll notice from the above example, SOME adjectives take "the" and
some don't.  Unfortuntely I only took a couple of classes in Linguistics.
Maybe someone else can summarize which adjectives do/don't and why.

--Lee Gold

keesan@bbnccv.UUCP (Morris M. Keesan) (06/11/85)

In article <561@umd5.UUCP> zben@umd5.UUCP (Ben Cranston) writes:
>Note also that to collectively refer to the many VAX computers out there
>a lot of people use the coined term "VAXEN", probably a derivative of
>"vixen" or something.  There is probably some language that has contributed
>to English that uses a suffix "en" to denote a plural, and subconscious
>memory supplies the usage.

VAXen is probably more akin to "oxen" then "vixen", as far as derivation.
The "en" suffix is a German pluralization, which has leaked over into English
in words such as "oxen".
--
Morris M. Keesan
keesan@bbn-unix.ARPA

In article <561@umd5.UUCP> zben@umd5.UUCP (Ben Cranston) writes:
>Why "the VAX" and not "the UNIX"?  There is a problem of collectivization
>and physical presence here.

	Finally, an explanation I can buy!

>Note also that to collectively refer to the many VAX computers out there
>a lot of people use the coined term "VAXEN", probably a derivative of
>"vixen" or something.  There is probably some language that has contributed
>to English that uses a suffix "en" to denote a ploural, and subconscious
>memory supplies the usage.  In any case, we say "on vaxen" rather than
>"on THE vaxen".

	A small historical note here. The basis for this is words like
ox/oxen and child/children. This is an old remnant, but it is original
to Germanic languages and thus to English. That is in Old English(as
well as modern German) there were(are) several classes of nouns with
different pluralizations, one of which is the '-en' ending. In English
the plural has been progressively regularized to a single form('-s'),
with a *few* exceptions like ox and child, which are now considered
"irregular" plurals.
--

				Sarima (Stanley Friesen)

{trwrb|allegra|cbosgd|hplabs|ihnp4|aero!uscvax!akgua}!sdcrdcf!psivax!friesen
or {ttdica|quad1|bellcore|scgvaxd}!psivax!friesen

allen@osu-eddie.UUCP (John Allen) (06/12/85)

> VAXen is probably more akin to "oxen" then "vixen", as far as derivation.
> The "en" suffix is a German pluralization, which has leaked over into English
> in words such as "oxen".
> --
> Morris M. Keesan
> keesan@bbn-unix.ARPA
> {decvax,ihnp4,etc.}!bbncca!keesan

    The "en" suffix was inherited by both German and English from
Proto-German.  English used to have several noun declensions that had
different endings for the plural.  One of these had the ending "en".  During
the history of English, most of these declensions were lost except for a few
forms that are now considered irregular including "oxen", "geese", "teeth".
So this is not a German plural that has been adopted into English, it has
been there since the beginning of English.

                                        John Allen
					Ohio State University
					(UUCP: cbosgd!osu-eddie!allen)
					(CSNet: allen@ohio-state)

jack@boring.UUCP (06/14/85)

A related question:
Why am I 'in THE editor', but 'in vi'? Or 'using A DBMS' but 'using ingres'?

It seems that program names have become more-or-less like personal
names.....

Also, note that the question isn't restricted to unix/vax:
It's also 'multics', 'nos/be', 'vms', and 'the cyber', 'the pdp', etc.
--
	Jack Jansen, jack@mcvax.UUCP
	The shell is my oyster.

Based on the now-common abuse of the term 'Unix' as a noun, it seems plausible
to use 'the Unix' in a construction like:

"This program will run under the Unix modified at Berkeley but not under the
Unix internally used at AT&T."

Granted, it sounds a bit stilted, but the article 'the' is now justified, refer-
ring as it does to a PARTICULAR item.  But most (including AT&T :-)) would be
happier with 'the Unix operating system' or similar phrase used in place of
plain 'the Unix' in the example.

D. Levy
AT&T Teletype Corp.
^^^^
Skokie, Ill.

Unix is a trademark of AT&T Bell Laboratories (and don't you forget it!).

rob@ptsfa.UUCP (Rob Bernardo) (06/16/85)

>Why "the VAX" and not "the UNIX"?

1. Generally "the" is not used with names in English (except for names
that descriptive, e.g. "the United States").
[The function of "the" along with a description is to make reference
to a specific object for which there is no available name.]

2. Names of authored works are a more complex situation.
This is because the name for the work in the abstract
is often used in making reference to a particular instance.
For example, "Hamlet" is the name of what Shakespeare authored
but I could say

	The "Hamlet" I have is missing act 2; my dog got at it.

in reference to particular physical copy, or

	The "Hamlet" I have is missing act 2; the publisher goofed."

in reference to particular printing or edition.

3. Similarly, "UNIX" is the name of an authored work and as a name without
a 'a' or 'the' refers to the software in the abstract. And if you were
to refer to a particular version or physical copy of UNIX you would
use "UNIX" with a 'a' or 'the', as in:

	The UNIX we have is basically System V with some Berkeley enhancements.o

in reference to a particular version, or

	The UNIX we have is corrupt. We will have to restore the filesystem from	a backup tape.

in reference to a particular physical copy.

4. Names of makes of products are only somewhat similar to names of authored
works. They are similar insofar as when they are used to refer to a particular
physical instance, you use 'a' or  'the'. But they are dissimilar insofar as
the article is preserved even when referring to the product in general.
I do not have time to present examples wiht "VAX". The system is coming
down is a few seconds.
--

Rob Bernardo, San Ramon, California
ihnp4!ptsfa!rob

muffy@lll-crg.ARPA (Muffy Barkocy) (06/17/85)

In article <2061@sdcrdcf.UUCP> barryg@sdcrdcf.UUCP (Lee Gold) writes:
>Unfortunately, answering that UNIX is an adjective doesn't solve the problem.
>In this language, it's perfectly proper to use adjectives as nouns.  It's
>called metonymy (I think) in poetics, but my Linguistics prof just called
>it function shift to say stuff like "floating in the blue" or "Things are
>sunny" or "Black is beautiful."
>
>As you'll notice from the above example, SOME adjectives take "the" and
>some don't.  Unfortuntely I only took a couple of classes in Linguistics.
>Maybe someone else can summarize which adjectives do/don't and why.
>
>--Lee Gold

With the examples you've given, nothing is proven.  "Things are sunny"
has the adjective "sunny" modifying the noun "things," "sunny" does *not*
become a noun.  I believe I was told that it is called a "predicate
adjective."  In the example "floating in the blue,"  I would assume that
this is a truncation of "floating in the blue sea,"  ust as "out of the
blue" is actually "out of the blue sky (out of nowhere)."

I would agree with previous posters, that it is "UNIX" rather than "the
UNIX" because of intangibility.  Just as we say "he has integrity" rather
than "he has the integrity."

                  Muffy

jeff@mit-eddie.UUCP (Jeff Mattson) (06/17/85)

> I would agree with previous posters, that it is "UNIX" rather than "the
> UNIX" because of intangibility.  Just as we say "he has integrity" rather
> than "he has the integrity."

But we would say, "He has the integrity in the family."  This sentence seems
to suppose that integrity is a tangible quantity and there's only so much in
one family.--
			   Don't dream it; BE IT!
			     	Jeff Mattson
			       Jeff@MIT-Eddie
			      497-3980  (work)
			      424-7226  (home)
			    24 Westland Ave. #10
			      Boston, MA 02115

mmt@dciem.UUCP (Martin Taylor) (06/22/85)

>Note also that to collectively refer to the many VAX computers out there
>a lot of people use the coined term "VAXEN", probably a derivative of
>"vixen" or something.  There is probably some language that has contributed
>to English that uses a suffix "en" to denote a ploural, and subconscious
>memory supplies the usage.  In any case, we say "on vaxen" rather than
>"on THE vaxen".

In the early days of the Vax, the plural was "Vaxes".  The first time I
heard "Vaxen", it was used as a deliberate joke, but it sounded OK, and
after a while most people (including me) began to use it without the
joking overtone.  In the not so distant past, lots of English words took
"n" or "en" in the plural (shoe -> shoon, for example).  German normally
does so.
--

Martin Taylor
{allegra,linus,ihnp4,floyd,ubc-vision}!utzoo!dciem!mmt