[net.nlang] of "images" and the like

jordan@ucbvax.ARPA (Jordan Hayes) (06/22/85)

In article <604@umd5.UUCP> z en@umd5.UUCP (Ben Cranston) writes:

> ...I understand on the old TOPS-10 system a running program could write
> a copy of itself out to the file system, which could then later be
> executed and pick up where it had started.  THIS qualifies as an
> "image".

Franz LisP under 4BSD can do this (so you don't have to go setting
up all your atoms and functions again...) with something like

-> (dumplisp)

/jordan
-------
ARPA:	jordan@ucb-vax.BERKELEY.EDU
UUCP:	jordan@ucbvax.UUCP

mff@wuphys.UUCP (Mark Flynn) (06/24/85)

> > ...I understand on the old TOPS-10 system a running program could write
> > a copy of itself out to the file system, which could then later be
> > executed and pick up where it had started.  THIS qualifies as an
> > "image".
>
> Franz LisP under 4BSD can do this (so you don't have to go setting
> up all your atoms and functions again...) with something like
>
> -> (dumplisp)

What a radical concept!  Can't imagine something primitive, like BASIC, having
a feature like that.

						Mark F. Flynn
						Department of Physics
						Washington University
						St. Louis, MO  63130
						ihnp4!wuphys!mff

"There is no dark side of the moon, really.
 Matter of fact, it's all dark."

				P. Floyd