[net.nlang] A norange and a whole nother story.

riddle@ut-sally.UUCP (Prentiss Riddle) (06/19/85)

>> For an interesting side topic, why is it "a whole nother" rather than the
>> more logical "an whole other"?  Perhaps because of the pain it causes to
>> say "an whole", and your amygdalus/angular gyrus rearranges the syllables
>> to shift the "n" from before the "whole" to after it?

If only I could remember all that literary and linguistic terminology that I
learned in high school English!  You see, the switch "an other" <=>
"a nother" is a common and well known one, and there is a standard term for
the process.

The most famous example in English is the word "orange", which I have heard
was once "norange".  The only dictionary I have at hand doesn't concur that
there was ever such a word in English, but the word underwent a similar
transformation somewhere along the line in any case.  The etymology in
front of me at the moment:

	[ME & OFr "orenge"; Pr. "auranja" (with sp. influenced by L.
	"aurum", gold and loss of initial "n" through faulty
	separation of article "une") < Sp. "naranja"; Ar. "naranj";
	Per. "narang"]

The word "another" has undergone/is undergoing a similar process.  One place
you see evidence for it is in phrases like "a whole nother story;" you also
see it in the writings of children and other people who haven't had spelling
conventions throughly pounded into them, as in the epithet, "You're a
nother!"

--- Prentiss Riddle ("Aprendiz de todo, maestro de nada.")
--- {ihnp4,harvard,seismo,gatech,ctvax}!ut-sally!riddle
--- riddle@ut-sally.UUCP, riddle@ut-sally.ARPA, riddle%zotz@ut-sally

cjh@petsd.UUCP (Chris Henrich) (06/26/85)

[]
In article <2136@ut-sally.UUCP> riddle@ut-sally.UUCP (Prentiss Riddle) writes:
>The word "another" has undergone/is undergoing a similar process.  One place
>you see evidence for it is in phrases like "a whole nother story;" you also
>see it in the writings of children and other people who haven't had spelling
>conventions throughly pounded into them, as in the epithet, "You're a
>nother!"

I once heard a mother say, jokingly, to her two rambunctious
little boys, "You're under arrest!"  Pretty soon, they were
using the phrase at each other, varying it with, "You're under
a *real* rest!"

Regards,
Chris

--
Full-Name:  Christopher J. Henrich
UUCP:       ..!(cornell | ariel | ukc | houxz)!vax135!petsd!cjh