[net.nlang] Derivation of O.K.

daa@mhuxj.UUCP (ANSEN) (06/14/85)

I just read that the word "Okay" stems from the
Wolof word "wawkay", which means "by all means",
or "certainly."  The word was brought into American
English by slaves brought over from West Africa.
Does anybody know more about this?  Does anybody
know of any other possible sources of the use
of "O.K." in English?

Debra Ansen
inhp4!mhuxj!daa

mfs@mhuxr.UUCP (SIMON) (06/14/85)

> I just read that the word "Okay" stems from the
> Wolof word "wawkay", which means "by all means",
> or "certainly."  The word was brought into American
> English by slaves brought over from West Africa.
> Does anybody know more about this?  Does anybody
> know of any other possible sources of the use
> of "O.K." in English?
>
> Debra Ansen

I have heard that O.K. comes from the Dutch Oll Korrekt, which means,
well, O.K. and came to America with Northeast Dutch settlers.

Marcel Simon

macrakis@harvard.ARPA (06/15/85)

The etymology of `OK' has been much discussed but, as far as I know,
never resolved to general satisfaction.  It is fairly easy to come up
with speculations for the origins of words; a different matter
entirely to substantiate them.  It is especially hard for non-literary
words since they get into the permanent record (writing) much later
after their introduction into use than do literary words and since
there are often no generally accepted standards for their use.

ccrrick@ucdavis.UUCP (Rick Heli) (06/15/85)

I was under the impression that etymologists had pretty
much given up on this one, but that there was one suggestion
that it stemmed from "Old Kinderhook", a buzz word of Martin
van Buren's presidential campaign.
--
					--rick heli
					(... ucbvax!ucdavis!groucho!ccrrick)

mac@uvacs.UUCP (Alex Colvin) (06/16/85)

> I just read that the word "Okay" stems from the
> Wolof word "wawkay", which means "by all means",

Yes, folks, it's time for our annual discussion of the origins of "O.K.".

gam@amdahl.UUCP (G A Moffett) (06/16/85)

In article <280@mhuxj.UUCP> daa@mhuxj.UUCP (ANSEN) writes:
>I just read that the word "Okay" stems from the
>Wolof word "wawkay", which means "by all means",
>or "certainly."  The word was brought into American
>English by slaves brought over from West Africa.
>Does anybody know more about this?  Does anybody
>know of any other possible sources of the use
>of "O.K." in English?
>
>Debra Ansen
>inhp4!mhuxj!daa

Completely false, just as all the other explanations of "OK" coming
from some foriegn place.  It is an authentic American invention,
from a kind of ``cutesy'' slang popular in the 1920's.  (I would quote
you my Steward Berg Flexner books right now but I can't find them).
--
Gordon A. Moffett               ...!{ihnp4,cbosgd,sun}!amdahl!gam

steiny@idsvax.UUCP (Don Steiny) (06/16/85)

> In article <280@mhuxj.UUCP> daa@mhuxj.UUCP (ANSEN) writes:
> >I just read that the word "Okay" stems from the
> >Wolof word "wawkay", which means "by all means",
> >or "certainly."  The word was brought into American
> >English by slaves brought over from West Africa.
> >Does anybody know more about this?  Does anybody
> >know of any other possible sources of the use
> >of "O.K." in English?
> >
> >Debra Ansen
> >inhp4!mhuxj!daa
>
> Completely false, just as all the other explanations of "OK" coming
> from some foriegn place.  It is an authentic American invention,
> from a kind of ``cutesy'' slang popular in the 1920's.  (I would quote
> you my Steward Berg Flexner books right now but I can't find them).
> --
> Gordon A. Moffett               ...!{ihnp4,cbosgd,sun}!amdahl!gam

	From American Heritage Dictionary of the English Language:

	"O.K., OK, Okay" - Probably popularized by a slogan of the
O.K. club, the Democratic party's political club of 1840; for
*Old Kinderhook*, the nickname of president Martin Van Buren,
who was born in *Kinderhook*, New York; but previously attested
to in the 1830's as a modish slang abbreviation of favorable
but uncertain meaning, possibly connected with another such
abbreviation, *DK*, for "don't know."

pesnta!idsvax!steiny
Don Steiny - Computational Linguistics
109 Torrey Pine Terr.  Santa Cruz, Calif. 95060
(408) 425-0832

dmt@Glacier.ARPA (Mike Thornburg) (06/17/85)

> I just read that the word "Okay" stems from the
> Wolof word "wawkay", which means "by all means",
> or "certainly."  The word was brought into American
> English by slaves brought over from West Africa.
> Does anybody know more about this?  Does anybody
> know of any other possible sources of the use
> of "O.K." in English?
>
> Debra Ansen
> inhp4!mhuxj!daa

All I know about this comes from the book "Our Marvelous Native Tongue,"
by Robert Claiborne (Times Books, New York; 1983).  In chapter 9
(page 205 in my paperback copy) he states:

		Easily the prize Africanism in American English, whence
	it has passed into a dozen tongues around the world, is our
	omnipresent "O.K."  For years, lexicographers grappled with this
	strange term, evolving etymologies that were more ingenious than
	scholarly.  It was termed an abbreviation of the semiliterate
	expression "oll korrect," slanderously ascribed to President
	Andrew Jackson, or of "Old Kinderhook," the supposed nickname of
	another American president, Martin Van Buren (from his birthplace,
	a Dutch settlement on the Hudson).  Eventually, more thoughtful
	scholars established that "O.K." and various similar terms had been
	used as far back as the American Revolution--long before anyone
	had heard of either Jackson or Van Buren.  And its source was
	unquestionably one of various West African expressions such as o-ke
	or waw-ke, meaning O.K.

As this book is written for a popular audience, Mr. Claiborne does not
include references to the scholarly literature for the specific term "O.K."
However, he does mention David Dalby's essay in Thomas Kochman, ed.,
"Rappin' and Stylin' Out" (U. of Illinois, 1972); and Dillard, "All-
American English" (Random House, 1975) and "Black English" (Random House, 1972)
as sources for information on Africanisms in American English.
I have not had a chance to consult any of these references myself, so I do not
know if they contain anything germane to this discussion, but I am passing
their names on in case anyone else is interested in reading them.

				Mike Thornburg

wfi@rti-sel.UUCP (William Ingogly) (06/17/85)

In article <280@mhuxj.UUCP> daa@mhuxj.UUCP (ANSEN) writes:

>I just read that the word "Okay" stems from the
>Wolof word "wawkay", which means "by all means",
>or "certainly."  The word was brought into American
>English by slaves brought over from West Africa.
>Does anybody know more about this?  Does anybody
>know of any other possible sources of the use
>of "O.K." in English?

From Webster's New World Dictionary, 2nd College Edition:

   ... [orig. U.S. colloq.: first known use (March 23, 1839)
       by C. G. Greene, editor, in the Boston Morning Post, as
       if abbrev. for "oll korrect," facetious misspelling of
       all correct ...: popularized by use in name of Democratic
       O. K. Club (1840), in allusion to Old Kinderhook, native
       village of Martin Van Buren, whom the Club supported for
       a 2d term] ...

I also seem to recall reading somewhere when I was a child that
one source thought it had originated somehow with an American
Indian tribe ...

                        -- Cheers, Bill Ingogly

lele@brand.UUCP (Surendra Lele) (06/18/85)

Derivation of O.K. is discussed in some detail in the book
'Our Marvelous Native Tounge' by Robert Hilburn.  According to the book
O.K. came from African languages

colonel@gloria.UUCP (Col. G. L. Sicherman) (06/19/85)

> I just read that the word "Okay" stems from the Wolof word "wawkay",
> which means "by all means", or "certainly."  The word was brought into
> American English by slaves brought over from West Africa.  Does anybody
> know more about this?  Does anybody know of any other possible sources
> of the use of "O.K." in English?
>
> Debra Ansen

Before we revive this futile discussion, tell us: Why do you want to know?
--
Col. G. L. Sicherman
...{rocksvax|decvax}!sunybcs!colonel

michael@brueer.UUCP (Michael Fourman) (06/19/85)

In article <280@mhuxj.UUCP> daa@mhuxj.UUCP writes:
>I just read that the word "Okay" stems from the
>Wolof word "wawkay", which means "by all means",
>or "certainly."  The word was brought into American
>English by slaves brought over from West Africa.
>Does anybody know more about this?  Does anybody
>know of any other possible sources of the use
>of "O.K." in English?
>
>Debra Ansen
>inhp4!mhuxj!daa

The story they tell here is that it dates from WWII radio slang for
 "Orl Korrect".
Of similar vintage (and still current here) is "U.S." meaning terminally
non-functioning (as in "this terminal is U.S., I need a new one). This
is said to derive from the label of origin.
(Please don't take this personally over there. We love y'all - well, most of
you are probably O.K. anyway :-))

mike

scifi@ukc.UUCP (I.P.Gordon) (06/20/85)

I heard that 'U.S.' derives from the word UnServiceable, meaning unfit for
service.
	Ian Gordon  (G6ENU)

	So Long And Thanks For All The Wallabies

drg@rlvd.UUCP (Duncan R. Gibson) (06/21/85)

>Of similar vintage (and still current here) is "U.S." meaning terminally
>non-functioning (as in "this terminal is U.S., I need a new one). This
>is said to derive from the label of origin.

I always thought U/S derived from UnServicable!

gjerawlins@watdaisy.UUCP (Gregory J.E. Rawlins) (06/24/85)

In article <8694@Glacier.ARPA> dmt@Glacier.ARPA (Mike Thornburg) writes:
>> I just read that the word "Okay" stems from the
>> Wolof word "wawkay", which means "by all means",
>> or "certainly."  The word was brought into American
>> English by slaves brought over from West Africa.
>> Does anybody know more about this?  Does anybody
>> know of any other possible sources of the use
>> of "O.K." in English?
>>
>> Debra Ansen
>> inhp4!mhuxj!daa
>
>All I know about this comes from the book "Our Marvelous Native Tongue,"
>by Robert Claiborne (Times Books, New York; 1983).  In chapter 9
>(page 205 in my paperback copy) he states:
>
>		Easily the prize Africanism in American English, whence
>	it has passed into a dozen tongues around the world, is our
>	omnipresent "O.K."  For years, lexicographers grappled with this
>[....]

	The problem with words that enter the language orally rather
than through literature is that the etymologist is sometimes
faced with an embarrassment of riches of possible explanations
for how the word entered the language. This particular book (and
this particular word) was reviewed in "Verbatim" - the language
quarterly (vol 11 no 3 winter 1985) by Philip Howard (pg 22) from
which i quote:
"[....] consider the etymology of O.K. I can see that it is more
romantic to suppose that it is a word from the West African
language, Wolof, brought into the southern states of America by
slaves. But to state unequivocally: 'Its [i.e. O.K.'s] source was
unquestionably one of various West African expressions such as
o-ke or waw-ke' is to go too far. The serious historian and
scholar of language should indicate that there is no form of
acceptable documentation to support the wild conjecture. All
probability points to the jocular alteration 'orl korrect' as the
origin."
	I should point out that the review was on the whole positive
in that Mr. Howard thought Mr. Claiborne was "an enthusiast" etc.
but "He is a journalist, not an academic [...]".
	While i agree with Mr. Howard when he says that "[...] to
state unequivocally [....] is to go too far" i find Mr.
Claiborne's explanation quite captivating (the resemblance between
'o-ke' and 'O.K.'seems rather strong and the derivation is
certainly plausible) and so i submit that
even if no "acceptable documentation" (whatever that is) can be
found to support this "wild conjecture" (using an adjective like
that is straight out of Thouless's "Straight and Crooked Thinking"!)
that it be accepted as yet another _possible_ derivation of O.K.
	Greg.
--
Gregory J.E. Rawlins, Department of Computer Science, U. Waterloo
{allegra|clyde|linus|inhp4|decvax}!watmath!watdaisy!gjerawlins

msb@lsuc.UUCP (Mark Brader) (06/29/85)

Let me see how much I can chop down the background... about 30 lines of
included text follow.  The "|" at left is so that those with rn 4.3 can skip
all the included matter including my interpolated remarks (those with "|" only).

| Debra Ansen (mhuxj!daa) started this:
|
| > I just read that the word "Okay" stems from the Wolof word "wawkay"...
| > ... brought into American English by slaves brought over from West Africa.
|
| Mike Thornburg (dmt@Glacier.ARPA) quoted Robert Claiborne's book "Our
| Marvelous Native Tongue" (Times Books, NY, 1983):
|
| > Easily the prize Africanism in American English, WHENCE IT HAS PASSED
| > INTO A DOZEN TONGUES AROUND THE WORLD, is our omnipresent "O.K."
| (emphasis mine - msb)
|
| But Gregory Rawlins (watdaisy!gjerawlins) quoted a review from the language
| quarterly Verbatim (winter 1985), which, while favorable to the book, noted
| that Claiborne "... is a journalist, not an academic ..." and and also said:
|
| > ... I can see that it is more romantic to suppose that it is a word from
| > the West African language, Wolof, ...  But to state [this] unequivocally
| > ... is to go too far.  The serious historian and scholar of language should
| > indicate that there is no form of acceptable documentation to support the
| > wild conjecture.
|
| Gregory then commented:
|
| > ... (the resemblance between 'o-ke' and 'O.K.'seems rather strong and the
| > derivation is certainly plausible) and so I submit that even if no
| > "acceptable documentation" (whatever that is) can be found to support this
| > "wild conjecture" that it be accepted as yet another _possible_ derivation
| > of O.K.

Right, my turn (Mark Brader - lsuc!msb):

The resemblance certainly is strong, but if the magazine reviewer (who is
presumably more competent at all this than any of us) says there is a total
lack of documentation, that likely means that Wolof is not a language in which
there is a lot of ancient writing available.  And that means there's nothing
to show that Wolof didn't get the word FROM English.

Considering the extent to which English words -- including "O.K.", as noted
in the emphasis above -- have been exported across the world generally, it
seems much more plausible to me that "O.K." originated in English and traveled
TO Africa with the slavers.  (I kind of like the "Oll Korrect" theory, myself.)

Mark Brader

mgh@mtunh.UUCP (Marcus Hand) (07/02/85)

Actually the term U.S. (or more properly U/S) to denote something
that is not working is an abbreviation of UnServiceable from old
(WWII ?) army parlance.

--
			Marcus Hand	(mtunh!mgh)

cgeiger@ut-ngp.UTEXAS (charles s. geiger) (07/05/85)

Forgive me if this has already been said, but I just read in the
newspaper a couple of days ago that O.K. came from the campaign
slogan of some ancient president (Martin Van Buren, or somebody
like that), whose nickname was Old Kinderhook (or something like
that).  Please accept my apologies for not being very specific.