[net.nlang] randy

aeb@mcvax.UUCP (Andries Brouwer) (07/20/85)

In article <187@brueer.brueer.UUCP> michael@brueer.UUCP (Michael Fourman)
writes:
> "RANDY" is a genderless alternative current here
> (but its not a common given name here - always makes me smile :-) to hear,
>    "Hi, I'm Randy".)
>
> I have two questions
>
> What is the etymology?
> What is the distibution of this usage?

My dictionary from 1958 says: RANDY - lecherous / boisterous, riotous (Sc.).
That from 1811 says: RANDY. Obstreperous, unruly, rampant.
[The previous entry in the latter is:
RANDLE. A set of nonsensical verses, repeated in Ireland by schoolboys,
and young people, who have been guilty of breaking wind backwards before
any of their companions; if they neglect this apology, they are liable to
certain kicks, pinches, and fillips, which are accompanied with divers
admonitory couplets.]

These words seem to be related to RANT and RANDOM. It is further
possible that these words stem from RAND 'edge' (Du. & German).
If so, then the original meaning has been reversed completely:
- rest, quiet, peace
    ie *REM- 'to rest'
    Sanskrit: RAMATE 'rests, stands still, is liked, makes love'.
    Skt. & Avest.: RAMA(N) 'rest, peace, happyness, lust'.
- rest, support, shield, brim
    Gothic: RIMIS 'rest'.
    Old High German:  RANT 'boss of shield', RAMA 'support'.
    Old Eng.: RAND 'edge, margin, rim, boss of shield, shield'.
    Danish, German & Dutch: RAND 'edge', Eng. RIM, Du. RAAM 'frame'.
    (But also RAME 'skeleton' is attested - Mid. Eng. 1497.)
    Spanish: RANDA 'lace bordering / pickpocket'.
- (over the edge, too much) quickly, violently, noisy
    Old French: A RANDON 'rapidly, suddenly, violently'.
    Middle Eng.: IN O RANDUN 'with a rush, headlong'
	(E.g. in "The land of Cokaygne":
	    The monkes liztith nozt adun,
	    Ac furre fleeth in o randun.  )
    Early modern Eng.: RANDOM 'impetuosity, force'. Eng. AT RANDOM.
    RANDY 'loud- or course-spoken', to RANT,
    RANDAN 'a drinking bout, spree'.

The word STRAND comes from *S-RAND, and has the same origin as RAND.

Some etymologists prefer to connect some of the words mentioned to
the root in RANNEN/RENNEN/RINNEN/to RUN.