[net.nlang] True Cognates, False Friends

ellis@spar.UUCP (Michael Ellis) (07/18/85)

>>How about the word gift, which in German means poison.
>
>Even better, in Swedish, "gift" as a noun means "poison," as
>an adjective, "married."

  According to the OED, these words really ARE all cognate:

    AS     gift /yift/ F payment for wife, N pl=giftu wedding
    OFris  jeft F gift
    Dutch  gift F gift, gif(t) N poison
    OHG	   gift F/N gift/poison  => German Gift N poison
    ONorse gi[pf]t F gift, pl=gi[pf]tar wedding
    Goth  -gifts (suffix)

  These derive from Proto-Teutonic *ghiftiz(F), *ghifti(N).

  There was also another Teutonic word for `gift', deriving from *ghebhO(F):

    AS     giefu /yevu/ F (not in Modern English)
    OSaxon geba F => Dutch gev(e)
    OHG    geba F => German Gabe F
    ONorse gjof F
    Goth   giba /giva/ F

  Both are almost certainly related to the verb `give'. English {give,gift}
  display clear Viking influence, otherwise they would begin y- instead of
  g- today.

  `Gift' seems to correspond to `give' as `draft/draught' to `draw', by the
  addition of a dental suffix to a stem at an early stage in proto-
  teutonic. This suffix is probably related to our participial -ed and
  perhaps also to a similar Latin -t-. Note that in this case, we are not
  really dealing with past participles, since {give, draw} have `strong'
  participles {given, drawn}.

  Since there were two words for gift, the stem *ghifti- apparently
  developed wildly specialized meanings {note that draft/draught also has
  many meanings}, distinguished from each other by gender and number:

    Feminine: `what one gives upon marriage' => `payment for wife'
    Neuter:   `what one gives to cause sickness/death' => `poison'
    Plural:   `many things given when somebody marries' => `wedding'

  As to the Swedish adjectival meaning `married', it seems likely that this
  is simply a modern past (passive) participle that has come to have the
  meaning `given in marriage'; the Scandinavian languages have generalized
  the old dental suffix -{d,t} to both strong and weak verbs, unlike English
  and German.

-michael

aeb@mcvax.UUCP (Andries Brouwer) (07/20/85)

In article <402@spar.UUCP> ellis@spar.UUCP (Michael Ellis) writes:
>>>How about the word gift, which in German means poison.
>>
>>Even better, in Swedish, "gift" as a noun means "poison," as
>>an adjective, "married."
>
>  According to the OED, these words really ARE all cognate.
>  Since there were two words for gift, the stem *ghifti- apparently
>  developed wildly specialized meanings {note that draft/draught also has
>  many meanings}, distinguished from each other by gender and number:
>
>    Feminine: `what one gives upon marriage' => `payment for wife'
>    Neuter:   `what one gives to cause sickness/death' => `poison'
>    Plural:   `many things given when somebody marries' => `wedding'

  I do not really agree with this latter section.
Gift meaning poison is in all germanic languages a loan from German,
and in OHG it is a learned translation loan from Greek/Latin dosis.
(A euphemism just like poison itself, derived from Latin potio (potion).)
  This meaning was not distinguished from the neutral one by gender or
number: in old german one has the neuter sg. Gift `gift, transfer, poison',
and in old icelandic one has the feminines gipt, gipta, gipting
`gift, good luck, marriage' (all singular). In other words: there
was no synchronic variation of gender but a diachronic variation;
I don't know why the originally feminine word became neuter
(also Latin dos and Greek dosis are feminines) but both before and after
the change the gender was independent of the meaning.