[net.nlang] Corrupted Signs

rjw@ptsfc.UUCP (Rod Williams) (06/19/85)

> Which brings up an interesting puzzle:  What other famous signs can be
> amusingly corrupted by selective darkening of individual letters?

  This doesn't answer the above question, but was the first
  thing that popped into my addled brain after reading it:

  In the hilarious, blasphemous, symbol-stuffed Dutch movie
  "The Fourth Man," a beautiful, but sinister, woman leads
  the eponymous protagonist to her apartment above her
  beauty salon. The sign out front can be read in daylight
  as "SPHINX," but at night all one can see is "SP IN " - the
  Dutch word for "spider" :-).
--

 rod williams | {ihnp4,dual}!ptsfa!ptsfc!rjw
 pacific bell |  san ramon  |  california

wildbill@ucbvax.ARPA (William J. Laubenheimer) (06/22/85)

This isn't exactly the same kind of corruption as other people have been
describing, but I think it's cute enough to post anyway.

On the major highways heading east from San Francisco through the Sierra
Nevada, winter driving conditions are occasionally so severe as to necessitate
the use of tire chains. During such periods, signs proclaiming "CHAINS
REQUIRED" are posted alongside the road in areas where the Highway Patrol
and/or the Department of Transportation deem it advisable. Last winter,
some humorist spent some time duplicating the coloring and printing of
those signs, and at the next major snowstorm, another sign was present
beneath one of the "CHAINS REQUIRED" signs:

                   "WHIPS OPTIONAL"

                                        Bill Laubenheimer
----------------------------------------UC-Berkeley Computer Science
     ...Killjoy went that-a-way--->     ucbvax!wildbill

fwb@siemens.UUCP (06/26/85)

> Which brings up an interesting puzzle:  What other famous signs can be
> amusingly corrupted by selective darkening of individual letters?

How about some not-so-famous signs?

Lehigh University built a new (while I was there) dining hall called

                        Rathbone Hall
                           ^
It didn't take long for someone to remove the indicated letter.

Frederic W. Brehm                princeton!siemens!fwb
Siemens Research and Technology Laboratories

pete@edcaad.UUCP (Pete Sykes) (07/11/85)

Then there is a pub that used to be frequented by Edinburgh's
homosexual population (maybe still is, I'm not going to go and
find out). It was called :
	The Laughing Duck
but then someone painted a y on the end.
Pete

gangal@petsd.UUCP (Dept 3271) (07/11/85)

[]

Near RPI (Rensselaer Polytechnic Institute) is "Samaritan Hospital".

One night during John Belushi's popularity on the Saturday Night Live
television show, the last few letters were covered leaving:

	S A M A R I     H O S P I T A L

				bob

ccrrick@ucdavis.UUCP (Rick Heli) (07/13/85)

And then there was the time Benny Hill was supposed to paint the
word "THERAPIST" on the signpost.  Well, Benny couldn't be blamed
for not knowing not to hyphenate after the "E."
--
-----
"Rescue your DNPC from a horrifying menace today!"

While waiting in line recently in the Sears Tower in Chicago for the ride to
the top of the building (supposed to be the tallest in the world) I saw an
area under construction behind a glass door,  and there were two signs posted
on the glass:

                        ----------------
                        |Coming soon:  |
                        |Michael Reese |
                        |Health Network|
                        ----------------
                        ----------------
                       |   **DANGER**   |
                       |    KEEP OUT    |
                        ----------------
I'd sure think twice before going to THAT clinic. :-)

from the crossposting synapses of
dan levy
at&t data communications products division (aka teletype corp)
skokie ill
..!ihnp4!ttrdc!(ttbcad!)levy

db@cstvax.UUCP (Dave Berry) (07/23/85)

In article <687@edcaad.UUCP> pete@edcaad.UUCP (Pete Sykes) writes:
>Then there is a pub that used to be frequented by Edinburgh's
>homosexual population (maybe still is, I'm not going to go and
>find out).

Why not?  We won't eat you!
(Well, not unless you ask nicely ...)
--
	Dave Berry. CS postgrad, Univ. of Edinburgh
					...mcvax!ukc!{hwcs,kcl-cs}!cstvax!db