[net.nlang] Names for symbols

mm@vaxine.UUCP (Mark Mudgett) (06/27/85)

Newsgroups: net.nlang
Subject: Re: question about names for symbols

        :       colon
        <       less than
        >       greater than
        <>      angle brackets
        |       pipe
        /       slash
        \       backslash
        .       dot
    All persons, living and dead, are purely coincidental;
    and should not be construed.
         _TT    /|    |~           Mark C. Mudgett
    >====+++===< |   O|   |~       uucp:  ...!decvax!encore!vaxine!mm
       {_|||_}  \|       O|        617-667-7900x2394

simon@warwick.UUCP (Simon Forth) (07/04/85)

In article <590@vaxine.UUCP> mm@vaxine.UUCP (Mark Mudgett) writes:

>        !       bang

>        #       sharp, pound

>        ^       caret
I would like to add a few names that I have heard, use

	!	pling, shriek
	#	hash
	^	circumflex

--
Simon Forth. Dept of Computing. University of Warwick. Coventry CV4 7AL. UK
   {various backbone sites in US}!mcvax!ukc!flame!ubu!simon

bobm@rtech.UUCP (Bob Mcqueer) (07/06/85)

I wish I could find the results of the discussion in net.misc
about a year and half back.  Somebody did a lengthy summary of names
which was kind of interesting.

I'll give what I can remember, have observed and have excerpted from
articles thus far.  When a name for a symbol derives from use in
some particular context (such as "pipe" for | from UNIX shell), it is
listed only if the character name has been known to extend to other
contexts, at least among the people familiar with the original.

I use [] for optional usage, | for selection of alternate terms, and
() to delimit my own comments.  I mark the "correct" name, so far as I know,
with *, and my personal preferences with !.  Call my marks whatever you
like, I guess.

$ dollar! [sign]*, escape (from the TECO editor, which echoed escape
	as $.  I had this habit myself, years ago)
^ hat, up, up arrow, caret*!, pointer, exponent, circumflex (strictly
	speaking, I think this usage is intended for this character
	placed over another letter.  Also note that "up-arrow" is
	probably a holdover from the old teletypes which printed the
	character this way)
& and, ampersand*!
* star!, asterisk!*, gear, splat, sprocket, times
~ squiggle, wiggle, whammy, snake, swung dash, twiddle!, tilde*!
/ slash!, virgule*, divide, over
\ back, backslash!, backwhack, slosh, escape, back-oblique, reverse virgule*
' [single] quote!, squote, quotation mark*, accent [mark]*, apostrophe*
" [double] quote!, quotation mark*, accent [mark]*

	(note: the confusion between double and single quotes which we all
	deal with constantly is even reflected in the dictionary I
	referred to (AHD).  It defines "quotation mark" AND "accent mark"
	as referring to either symbol.  For typeset text, apostrophe is
	the right half of a single quote pair since the left one is
	upside down.)

` baquote, back quote, grave! [accent]* (now, maybe for symettry's sake,
	this suggests that "accent" be used for ' and "quote" for ")
# number [sign]*, pound! [sign]*, hash, octothorp (phone company name
	for the symbol)
| vertical, pipe! [sign], or [sign]!, [vertical] bar*

	(what to call the (), <>, [], {} pairs is probably the worst mess:
	you can probably assume that "open" and "close" may be used
	in place of "left" and "right" all the way through.  When
	somebody uses "left/open" or "close/right" with no other terms,
	I think they most often mean (), although I've heard this used
	for {}, also.  Use of the directional adjective without type is
	probably limited to conversations where the type is obvious to
	both speakers (if we're discussing c statement constructs, I
	understand that by "open", you mean {, etc))

( [left] paren[thesis]*!, [left] round bracket
) [right] paren[thesis]*!, [right] round bracket
< [left] angle|pointy!|corner [bracket], suck (wonderful combination of
	vulgarity and UNIX), less [than! [sign]], [left] brocket, bra
> [right] angle|pointy!|corner [bracket], blow, greater [than! [sign]],
	[right] brocket, ket (the "bra", "ket" pair come from notation
	used in quantum mechanics)
{ [left] [curley] brace*, [left] curley!|squirrely [bracket], begin (
	old ALGOL programmers never die?  Yes, I have heard this name
	for { used in several contexts)
} [right] [curley] brace*, [right] curley!|squirrely [bracket], end
[ [left] square [brace|bracket!], [left] hard bracket
] [right] square [brace|bracket!], [right] hard bracket

	(note: the dictionary once again confuses things, defining "brace"
	to mean the {, } pair, but bracket to mean either <, > or [, ].)

! shriek, yell, bang!, ballbat! (I sometimes find myself using this one,
	thank you JWS), exclamation point*, exclam, not
_ under!, underline, underscore ("foo under bar" rolls off the tounge
	rather well)
. period*, dot!
- dash*, minus! [sign], hyphen* (for typesetters, hyphen and dash are
	different characters)
@ at! [sign]*, kill (I believe there's some names for @, % that creep
	into the conversation of people who've been around TOPS-10.  I
	can't remember them)
% percent! [sign]*
+ plus! [sign]*
= equals! [sign]*
: colon!*
; semicolon!*, semi
, comma!*
? question mark!* (it seems odd to me that I can't think of a colloquial
	name for this character - "question mark" seems clumsy enough for
	it to merit one)

Bob McQueer
ihnp4!amdahl!rtech!bobm

jeff@rtech.UUCP (Jeff Lichtman) (07/06/85)

> ? question mark!* (it seems odd to me that I can't think of a colloquial
> 	name for this character - "question mark" seems clumsy enough for
> 	it to merit one)
>
> Bob McQueer

Another name for ? is "interrogation point".  This is so clumsy that it makes
one grateful for the term "question mark".
--
Jeff Lichtman at rtech (Relational Technology, Inc.)
aka Swazoo Koolak

{amdahl, sun}!rtech!jeff
{ucbvax, decvax}!mtxinu!rtech!jeff

jeand@ihlpg.UUCP (AMBAR) (07/09/85)

> >        !       bang
> >        #       sharp, pound
> 	!	pling, shriek
> 	#	hash

And mine:
	!  bat
	#  number sign
--

					AMBAR
                    	{the known universe}!ihnp4!ihlpg!jeand

frye@cuuxa.UUCP (frye) (07/11/85)

Being the deviated person that I am, I have tended to mess
up lyrics to songs and pull other perverted stunts that
seem to be a little out of step with the rest of the folks.
Maybe you kind people will understand (with my wierd back-
ground) why I call the ! a baseball bat or night stick.
I call the * and asshole, or exit wound or sometimes a
green persimmon. (Ever eat one of those? It's like eating
a large quantity of alum. You pucker up tightly for a long
time. I call the minus sign an IOU and the = breaking even.

Without drugs, where would you be now? Without Dru-u-u-ugs...

I didn't have to rewrite one song. It's entitled; Take your
tongue out of my mouth 'cause I'm kissin' you goodbye.

Keep smilin'

Tom

dmm@calmasd.UUCP (David M. MacMillan) (07/30/85)

     If memory serves, a "!" is referred to as a "screamer"
in Dorothy Sayers' Murder Must Advertise.  The context is
1920's (30's? - I confess my ignorance) British newspaper
slang.

     As a pet peeve, I prefer to call "(" a parenthesis,
"[" a bracket, "{" a brace, and "<" an angle.  I found the
tendency of fellow-students in my undergraduate days to refer
to "[" as a square bracket, "{" as a curly bracket, and "<"
as a pointy bracket as annoying as all get out (there's
another colloquial phrase for you).

     Newspaper history might provide many interesting names
for symbols.

                               David M. MacMillan