[net.nlang] about diacritical

sommar@enea.UUCP (Erland Sommarskog) (08/12/85)

In article <483@talcott.UUCP> tmb@talcott.UUCP (Thomas M. Breuel) writes:

>Diacritical marks, contracted letters, and special characters are
>not a sign of cultural identity -- they are annoying leftovers from
>a time in which people used to do most of their writing with a pen
>(or a brush, on the other side of the world). Let's hope they'll
>soon get out of fashion!
>
>						Thomas.

I might have missunderstood you, but I like to stress that for a
Swede oA, "A and "O are L E T T E R S and nothing else, and removing
them from are language, would also be removing a bit of our
cultural identity.
On the other hand I find it quite annoying with computers who don't
know the alphabet  (Placing oA after "A) and who uses letter as
array indicies and similair