[net.nlang] Whilst and While

dave@cylixd.UUCP (Dave Kirby) (09/18/85)

In article <261@mot.UUCP> fred@mot.UUCP (Fred Christiansen) writes:
>...plural and/or polite/formal, whilst "tu" is singular/familiar.
                                 ^^^^^^

This has nothing to do with what Fred wrote, but what is the general
rule for the use of "whilst" versus "while?" The distinction has
disappeared from American usage; I see both words used in British
documents, so I infer that there is a distinction. Can Fred or
someone else out there enlighten me?

Dave Kirby  (...!ihnp4!akgub!cylixd!dave)

(The views expressed herein do not necessarily reflect
those of RCA Cylix. They may not even reflect my own.)

wfi@rti-sel.UUCP (William Ingogly) (09/23/85)

In article <291@cylixd.UUCP> dave@cylixd.UUCP (Dave Kirby) writes:

>This has nothing to do with what Fred wrote, but what is the general
>rule for the use of "whilst" versus "while?" ...

They're exactly the same. "Whilst" derives from the middle English
"whilest," and is (according to my dictionary) now used primarily in
certain British and American dialects. Both Webster's New World
Dictionary and Fowler's Dictionary of Modern English Usage agree that
"while" and "whilst" are otherwise the same.

                        -- Cheers, Bill Ingogly