[net.nlang] names of animal categories

humbert@ihlpa.UUCP (shachter) (09/11/85)

I am interesting in knowing the English words for various categories of animals.
The following chart should explain itself:

   Generic       Adult      Adult     Castrated       Child     Child    Child
Single;Plural    Male       Female      Male         Generic    Male     Female

Horse ; Horses   Stallion   Mare      Gelding          ???      Colt     Filly

 ??? ; Cattle    Bull       Cow       Ox <or> Steer  Calf        ???      ???

Swine ; Swine    Boar       Sow       Barrow         Pig         ???      ???

Goat ; Goats      ???        ???       ???           Kid         ???      ???

Sheep ; Sheep    Ram        Ewe       Wether         Lamb        ???      ???

If you know any words that belong in the cells where I have marked `???',
please write to me and tell them to me.  You will notice that I am particularly
ignorant about goats, since I know only the words `Goat', `Goats', and `Kid'
(I don't count the slang words `Billy-goat' and `Nanny-goat', but if you
believe that these words, although slang, are those used by farmers, then
please write to me and tell me so).

The two cells in which I am most interested are the two leftmost cells in the
table -- the singular for `Cattle', and the term for an adult male goat.

Another interesting point, although totally irrelevant to my current request,
is that English has words like `Beef' and `Veal' and `Pork' and `Mutton' which
denote the flesh of various categories of animals, as opposed to the living
animal.  These words are all French (although `Mutton' comes to French through
Gaulish, not through Latin).  Presumably the Norman rulers did not tend to the
animals when alive, but were the only ones who ate them when they were dead.

Incidentally, I am still interested in the topic of my previous posting, so if
you know any words that distinguish between organic fat and subcutaneous fat,
please write to me and let me know.  I do not read this newsgroup regularly,
and I doubt that the information is of general interest, so please do not post
to the net.

Thank you in advance for your help.

					jfs (...!ihnp4!ihlpa!humbert)

christer@kuling.UUCP (Christer Johansson) (09/18/85)

In article <791@ihlpa.UUCP> of Wed, 11-Sep-85 20:42:38 GMT
humbert@ihlpa.UUCP (shachter) writes:
>I am interesting in knowing the English words for various categories
>of animals.
>The following chart should explain itself:

The table's included below with Swedish tranlsations. As you can see There's
only a few words that show any relations to their English counterparts. (This
seams to hold for most animals, flowers, trees etc.) I believe this holds for
Swedish,German and German,English as well, but am not shore about it.
Does anyone on the net know why this is? Have all 'Germanic' languages
developed their own words for animals, flowers etc and been unable to
influence each other in any higher degree?

I'd like too extend the table with other languages, so please mail me your
translations and I'll summarize to the net.

>   Generic       Adult      Adult     Castrated      Child     Child    Child
>Single;Plural    Male       Female      Male        Generic    Male     Female

>Horse ; Horses   Stallion   Mare      Gelding          ???      Colt     Filly
 Ha:st ; Ha:star  Hingst     Ma:rr     Valack 	      Fo:l	 ???      ???

> ??? ; Cattle    Bull       Cow       Ox <or> Steer  Calf        ???      ???
  Kreatur;Kreatur  Tjur	     Ko	       Oxe(?)	      Kalv	 Tjurkalv Kviga

>Swine ; Swine    Boar       Sow       Barrow         Pig         ???      ???
 Svin  ; Svin     Galt	     Sugga	???	      Kulting	  ???	   ???
      <or>
 Gris  ; Grisar

>Goat ; Goats      ???        ???       ???           Kid         ???      ???
 Get  ; Getter    Bock	     ???	???	      ???	  ???	   ???

>Sheep ; Sheep    Ram        Ewe       Wether         Lamb        ???      ???
 Fa:r  ; Fa:r	  Bagge	     Tacka	???	      Lamm	  ???	   ???
--
Snail Mail: Christer Johansson	  Net Mail: {seismo,mcvax}!enea!kuling!christer
            Sernandersv. 9:136

suze@terak.UUCP (Suzanne Barnett) (09/19/85)

> I am interesting in knowing the English words for various categories of animals.
> The following chart should explain itself:
>

>    Generic       Adult      Adult     Castrated       Child     Child    Child
> Single;Plural    Male       Female      Male         Generic    Male     Female
>
> Horse ; Horses   Stallion   Mare      Gelding          ???      Colt     Filly
>
>  ??? ; Cattle    Bull       Cow       Ox <or> Steer  Calf        ???      ???
  Cow?                                                                    Heifer

> Swine ; Swine    Boar       Sow       Barrow         Pig         ???      ???
  Pig                                                  Piglet

> Goat ; Goats      ???        ???       ???           Kid         ???      ???
>
> Sheep ; Sheep    Ram        Ewe       Wether         Lamb        ???      ???
>

> If you know any words that belong in the cells where I have marked `???',
> please write to me and tell them to me.  You will notice that I am particularly
> ignorant about goats, since I know only the words `Goat', `Goats', and `Kid'
> (I don't count the slang words `Billy-goat' and `Nanny-goat', but if you
                                   yes              yes

Also ranchers refer to male calves as "bull calf/ves"

> believe that these words, although slang, are those used by farmers, then
> please write to me and tell me so).
--
Suzanne Barnett

uucp:	 ...{decvax,ihnp4,noao,savax,seismo}!terak!suze
phone:	 (602) 998-4800
us mail: CalComp/Sanders Display Products Division
	 (Formerly Terak Corporation)
	 14151 N 76th street, Scottsdale, AZ 85260

jsq@im4u.UUCP (John Quarterman) (09/22/85)

Foal is used in English for a horse child, though it tends to appear
more often in verb form: "the mare is foaling".

I've never heard ox used for steer.  An ox is a completely different animal.
Yearling is used for a young calf, usually male.  Sometimes ones uses
bull-calf to be really specific.  Heifer is the word for a female calf.

Pigs is usually used in the States instead of swine.

A male goat is a billygoat, and a female one is a nannygoat.
I know of no corresponding gender-specific words for lambs.
--
John Quarterman,   UUCP:  {ihnp4,seismo,harvard,gatech}!ut-sally!jsq
ARPA Internet and CSNET:  jsq@sally.UTEXAS.EDU, formerly jsq@ut-sally.ARPA

rob@ptsfa.UUCP (Rob Bernardo) (09/23/85)

This is somewhat incidental to the original request, but for horses,
a foal is a "baby" horse of either gender, while a filly and a colt
are a female and male, respectively "non-adult" horse. I.e. "foal"
is usually used for horses no more than one year old, while "filly"
and "colt" are usually used for horses up to 5 years old (when they
are considered full-grown).

ccrrick@ucdavis.UUCP (Rick Heli) (09/24/85)

> I've never heard ox used for steer.  An ox is a completely different animal.

Really?  Back when I was taking ag courses, the only difference
they talked about was the age of castration...
--
					--rick heli
					(... ucbvax!ucdavis!groucho!ccrrick)

cgm@idec.UUCP (Colin McKenzie) (09/24/85)

In article <724@terak.UUCP> suze@terak.UUCP (Suzanne Barnett) writes/includes
from a previous posting:
>> I am interesting in knowing the English words for
>> various categories of animals.
>>
>>  Generic       Adult      Adult     Castrated       Child     Child    Child
>> ingle;Plural   Male       Female      Male         Generic    Male     Female
>>
>> Horse ; Horses Stallion   Mare      Gelding          ???      Colt     Filly
>>
>>  ??? ; Cattle  Bull       Cow       Ox <or> Steer  Calf        ???      ???
>  Cow?                                                                  Heifer
>>
>> If you know any words that belong in the cells where I have marked `???',
>> please write to me and tell them to me.
>
>Also ranchers refer to male calves as "bull calf/ves"

I would use "Foal" for a young horse, and "Bullock" for a young Bull.  The term
"Ox" is the nearest thing to a generic singular for Cattle (Oxen).

Colin McKenzie.