[net.nlang] Second Person Plural

nyssa@abnji.UUCP (nyssa of traken) (09/03/85)

>> Actually English *does* have a second person plural: it's "you."
>
>    Historically, yes. But presently, "you" functions primarily as
>2nd person singular.

As does "vous" in French, "Sie" in German, "Vuy" in Russian, etc.

What my arguement is that English has lost the second person
"friendly" in "Thou", and that we always use the "formal" "you".

Perhaps the English speaking world would be more relaxed with the
friendly "thou"?  Nah....
--
James C. Armstrong, Jnr.	{ihnp4,cbosgd,akgua}!abnji!nyssa

Maybe they'll want one of your women to experiment on, perhaps
I shall take this one to them!

-who said it, what story?  (Get the reply to me by Thursday!)

charli@cylixd.UUCP (Charli Phillips) (09/04/85)

In article <845@abnji.UUCP> nyssa@abnji.UUCP (nyssa of traken) writes:
>>> Actually English *does* have a second person plural: it's "you."
>>
>>    Historically, yes. But presently, "you" functions primarily as
>>2nd person singular.

. . .

>What my arguement is that English has lost the second person
>"friendly" in "Thou", and that we always use the "formal" "you".
>
>--
>James C. Armstrong, Jnr.	{ihnp4,cbosgd,akgua}!abnji!nyssa

"You" is plural, not formal, and "thou" is singular, not familiar.
(Historically speaking, of course.)  I don't believe English ever had
a "familiar" second person pronoun, just singular and plural.  (The
second person plural was often used to indicate respect, and may have
been considered idiomatically the second person singular formal.)  In
any event, the true second person singular gradually dropped out of
the language, leaving us with only one second person pronoun, used for
singular and plural, formal and familiar - a truly deplorable situation.

Except, of course, in the South, where "you" is the second person
singular, and "y'all" is second person plural :-) .

michaelm@bcsaic.UUCP (michael b maxwell) (09/06/85)

>> Actually English *does* have a second person plural: it's "you."
>
>    Historically, yes. But presently, "you" functions primarily as
>2nd person singular.
You contradict yourselves.
--
Mike Maxwell
	When you're up to your neck in alligators, it's hard to remember

michael@ihnss.UUCP (M. J. Morgan) (09/07/85)

Charli Phillips writes:
> "You" is plural, not formal, and "thou" is singular, not familiar.
> (Historically speaking, of course.)  I don't believe English ever had
> a "familiar" second person pronoun, just singular and plural.  (The
> second person plural was often used to indicate respect, and may have
> been considered idiomatically the second person singular formal.)  In
> any event, the true second person singular gradually dropped out of
> the language, leaving us with only one second person pronoun, used for
> singular and plural, formal and familiar - a truly deplorable situation.

"You" takes the third person plural verb conjugation, but that does not
mean that it is a third person or necessarily plural pronoun.  It is the
"formal" second person pronoun in English, singular and plural.  "Thou" used
to serve as the "familiar" singular second person pronoun, with "ye" as the
corresponding plural.

The German Sie, du, and ihr parallel the English you, thou, and ye in
both conjugation and meaning.  German has retained all three words, however,
while "thou" and "ye" have for the most part disappeared from English.
"Thou" and its other cases (objective - thee, possessive - thy and thine,
reflexive - thyself) still linger on in some areas, such as poetry and
biblical writings ("... thy kingdom come, thy will be done ....").  "Ye"
underwent a transformation from nominative plural to nominative singular and
later to accusative, singular and plural, and can still be found in some
dialectal speech ("What have ye here?  I'll get ye for that").

French uses "vous" for the formal second person, singular and plural, and
for the familiar second person plural and conjugates verbs with vous in
the second person plural; "tu" is the French familiar second person singular
pronoun, taking a second person singular verb conjugation.

As in English, Spanish is losing some of its formality.  It has four words
for the second person, "tu," "vosotros," "usted," and "ustedes," one each
for the familiar second person, singular and plural, and the formal second
person, singular and plural.  The "familiar" pronouns take second person
verb conjugations, and the "formal" pronouns (usted and ustedes) take third
person verb conjugations.  "Vosotros" has pretty much disappeared from the
language in Latin America, with "ustedes" being used exclusively for the
second person plural.  I have also talked to people complaining of a tendency
of younger people towards using "usted" exclusively for the second person
singular.

As an interesting aside, note that the first person plural and familiar
second person plural pronouns rhyme in all the above languages:  we and ye,
wir and ihr, nous and vous, and nosotros and vosotros.

				Mike Morgan
				ihnp4!ihnss!michael

rob@ptsfa.UUCP (Rob Bernardo) (09/10/85)

In article <2609@ihnss.UUCP> michael@ihnss.UUCP (M. J. Morgan) writes:
>"You" takes the third person plural verb conjugation,

How did you ascertain that the verb form is THIRD PERSON plural.
It seems to me that English has seven forms for all verbs, except
'be', which has eleven. See chart below. There is no form that
could be described as plural specifically for the third person.

In the table below, I have given all the forms of English verbs
as distinguishable by morphology (form) (as opposed to function).
That is, if one form is used for two separate functions, it is
listed only once.

verb form		'be'		ALL      other     verbs
					"irregular"	"regular"
					(e.g. 'do')	(e.g. 'walk')

present "I"		am		do		walk
present "thou"		art		doest		walkest
present other singulars	is		does		walks
present plural		are		always same as present "I" form

subjunctive "thou" 	beest?		always same as present "thou"

past "thou"		wast		didst		walkedst
past other singulars	was		did		walked
past plural		were		always same as other past singulars form

present participle	being		doing		walking
past participle		been		done		walked

every other form	be		always same as present "I" form
(all other subjunctives,
infinitive, etc.)

--
Rob Bernardo, San Ramon, CA    (415) 823-2417    {ihnp4|dual|qantel}!ptsfa!rob

todd@scirtp.UUCP (Todd Jones) (09/11/85)

> >> Actually English *does* have a second person plural: it's "you."
> >
> >    Historically, yes. But presently, "you" functions primarily as
> >2nd person singular.
> You contradict yourselves.

How about "Y'all," y'all?

-todd jones

suze@terak.UUCP (Suzanne Barnett) (09/11/85)

> >> Actually English *does* have a second person plural: it's "you."
> >
> >    Historically, yes. But presently, "you" functions primarily as
> >2nd person singular.

As any good southerner knows, the plural of "you" is "ya'll"
(contraction of "you all").
--
Suzanne Barnett

uucp:	 ...{decvax,ihnp4,noao,savax,seismo}!terak!suze
phone:	 (602) 998-4800
us mail: CalComp/Sanders Display Products Division
	 (Formerly Terak Corporation)
	 14151 N 76th street, Scottsdale, AZ 85260

fred@mot.UUCP (Fred Christiansen) (09/11/85)

re "formal" vs "friendly" "you":  as you said, in French "vous" is
plural and/or polite/formal, whilst "tu" is singular/familiar.

some interesting observations:
	- in prayers, Protestants seem to refer to God as "tu", whilst
	Catholics as "vous".
	- the Society of Friends (as I recall) used to refer to each other
	as "thou", the singular/familiar, yet that seems formal/archaic to us
	today, a reversal of the original
--
<< Generic disclaimer >>
Fred Christiansen ("Canajun, eh?") @ Motorola Microsystems, Tempe, AZ

gam@amdahl.UUCP (G A Moffett) (09/12/85)

On an related word, what have been your observations on the use
of 'guys' referring to a group of people (of unspecified
sex), as in 'you guys'?

I have a feeling it is more popular with younger people, as older
people tend to object to the use of 'guys' when a female is included,
but I'd like to hear what other people think.

[this discussion being redirected to net.nlang only].
--
Gordon A. Moffett		...!{ihnp4,cbosgd,hplabs}!amdahl!gam

mikeb@inset.UUCP (Mike Banahan) (09/16/85)

My dictionary suggests that "Ye" is 2nd person plural (archaic).

The form is still in common use in Yorkshire dialect in England,
having corrupted to "tha", from "thee". The phrase
"Wouldst tha like a cupp o' tea, love?"
(approximate pronunciation indicated) would cause little surprise,
even if addressed to a stranger in a cafe in
certain parts of the county.

The "st" ending in "wouldst" is often dropped. The Norse influence
on the dialect is strong in these parts - but that's another story.
--
Mike Banahan, Technical Director, The Instruction Set Ltd.
mcvax!ukc!inset!mikeb

christer@kuling.UUCP (Christer Johansson) (09/18/85)

In article <864@ptsfa.UUCP> of Tue, 10-Sep-85 20:17:17 GMT
rob@ptsfa.UUCP (Rob Bernardo) writes:
>In the table below, I have given all the forms of English verbs
>as distinguishable by morphology
>
>verb form		'be'		ALL      other     verbs
>					"irregular"	"regular"
>					(e.g. 'do')	(e.g. 'walk')
>
>present other (i.e 3 person) singulars	is	does	  walks

Shouldn't does and walks be doth and walkth?
(As in the Lord giveth and the Lord taketh away)
--
Snail Mail: Christer Johansson	  Net Mail: {seismo,mcvax}!enea!kuling!christer
            Sernandersv. 9:136

jsq@im4u.UUCP (John Quarterman) (09/20/85)

In article <2609@ihnss.UUCP> michael@ihnss.UUCP (M. J. Morgan) writes:
>As in English, Spanish is losing some of its formality.  It has four words
>for the second person, "tu," "vosotros," "usted," and "ustedes," one each
>for the familiar second person, singular and plural, and the formal second
>person, singular and plural.  The "familiar" pronouns take second person
>verb conjugations, and the "formal" pronouns (usted and ustedes) take third
>person verb conjugations.  "Vosotros" has pretty much disappeared from the
>language in Latin America, with "ustedes" being used exclusively for the
>second person plural.  I have also talked to people complaining of a tendency
>of younger people towards using "usted" exclusively for the second person
>singular.

Curiously enough, usted and usteds are not the original Spanish formal
second person pronouns.  Usted is a contraction of vuestra merced
("your mercy" or "your grace") which originated as a form of address
in the Spanish court around the sixteenth century and spread.  Ustedes
is just the obvious plural of usted.  This explains why usted and ustedes
take third person verb conjugations.

If I recall correctly, the original Spanish formal singular second
person pronoun was vos, with vosotros as the plural for both formal and
familiar (like nos and nosotros).  Vosotros partly remains, as you
mention, as the familiar second person plural.  Vos is very archaic and
is only used nowadays to address the deity.

This is from memory of a book about the development of Spanish
which I read ten years ago, so don't be surprised if it isn't
entirely accurate.

Note the similarity of Spanish tu and vos to French tu and vous,
or to English thou and you, for that matter.  And the amusing
almost-parallel of vuestra merced -> usted with you all -> y'all.
--
John Quarterman,   UUCP:  {ihnp4,seismo,harvard,gatech}!ut-sally!jsq
ARPA Internet and CSNET:  jsq@sally.UTEXAS.EDU, formerly jsq@ut-sally.ARPA

In article <714@terak.UUCP> suze@terak.UUCP (Suzanne Barnett) writes:

>> >    Historically, yes. But presently, "you" functions primarily as
>> >2nd person singular.

>As any good southerner knows, the plural of "you" is "ya'll"
>(contraction of "you all").

At at RenFair whose name I will tactfully omit, the "king" replied to a GSTK
with

    "And God save Thee'all."

which prompted one of my compatriots to comment that the "king" was
obviously from Southern England.

Seriously, English, exhibiting its typical pronoun obnoxia, has a second
person pronoun.  Not plural.  Not singular.  Just second person.  Just as it
has a non-person, a female, and a male/neuter singular pronoun.  Perverse.
English.

Charley Wingate