[net.nlang] Can anyone identify these languages?

rob@ptsfa.UUCP (Rob Bernardo) (10/03/85)

A few years ago, on the side of a shoe box for shoes made in Germany,
I saw the following translations of the German trademark. I was
able to identify most of the languages. But one of them (the last, below)
was quite mysterious. I kept the side of the shoe box and now,
years later, and I still don't know.

Can anyone fill in the remainder of the table, especially the last two
items? (Send e-mail and I will post as much of the table as we fill in.)

trademark		language

Fussbett		German

Footbed			English

Coussinet pour le Pied	French

Cuscino per il piede	Italian

La cama para el pie	Spanish

Cama para o pe'		Portuguese

Fodseng			[some Germanic language]

Fodsa"ng		[some Germanic language]

Fotseng			[some Germanic language]

Jalkavuode		?Finnish?

Voetbed			?Dutch?

Podocrebato		?[transliterated] Greek?

Wisadet Elkadem		??? (What languages have the letters "w" and "k"?)

In article <910@ptsfa.UUCP> rob@ptsfa.UUCP (Rob Bernardo) writes:

>Can anyone fill in the remainder of the table, especially the last two
>items? (Send e-mail and I will post as much of the table as we fill in.)
>

>trademark		language
>

>Fussbett		German

>Fodseng			[some Germanic language]
>
>Fodsa"ng		[some Germanic language]
>
>Fotseng			[some Germanic language]

	The three above look like Norwegian, Swedish and Danish to me.
	(Don't ask which is which tho, I am not quite certain)

>Jalkavuode		?Finnish?
>
>Voetbed			?Dutch?

	Yes, this is Dutch.

>Podocrebato		?[transliterated] Greek?

	Yes again, it is definately romanized Greek.

>Wisadet Elkadem		? (What languages have the letters "w" and "k"?)

	Yeah, ???. It doesn't look like any Indo-European language to
me. That is unless it is a romanized slavic tongue(I doubt it tho).

--

				Sarima (Stanley Friesen)

ARPA: ttidca!psivax!friesen@rand-unix.arpa

gadfly@ihuxn.UUCP (Gadfly) (10/08/85)

--
> Can anyone fill in the remainder of the table, especially the last two
> items?
>
> trademark		language
>
> Fussbett		German
> Footbed			English
> Fodseng			[some Germanic language]
> Fodsa"ng		[some Germanic language]
> Fotseng			[some Germanic language]

"Fodseng" is Danish (lit. "foot bed").  The other two are most probably
Swedish and Norwegian, respectively.
--
                    *** ***
JE MAINTIENDRAI   ***** *****

rob@ptsfb.UUCP (Rob Bernardo) (10/16/85)

A few weeks ago I asked for help in identifying the languages of the
following translations of a trademark found on the side of shoe box
for shoes made in Germany. I am grateful to those who helped fill
in the names of the languages. Here are the results:

trademark		language

Fussbett		German

Footbed			English

Coussinet pour le Pied	French