[net.nlang] Can anyone identify these languages

grass@uiucdcsb.CS.UIUC.EDU (10/14/85)

>>Can anyone fill in the remainder of the table, especially the last two
>>items? (Send e-mail and I will post as much of the table as we fill in.)
>>

>>trademark		language

>>Wisadet Elkadem		? (What languages have the letters "w" and "k"?)

>	Yeah, ???. It doesn't look like any Indo-European language to
>me. That is unless it is a romanized slavic tongue(I doubt it tho).
>				Sarima (Stanley Friesen)

It doesn't look like any Slavic language I know (Polish has "w" and "k", but
this has no Slavic roots).  This could possibly be Hungarian?

	- Judy Grass,  University of Illinois - Urbana
	  {ihnp4,pur-ee,convex}!uiucdcs!grass   grass%uiuc.arpa

ado@elsie.UUCP (Arthur David Olson) (10/17/85)

> Wisadet Elkadem		? (What languages have the letters "w" and "k"?)
> . . .This could possibly be Hungarian?

As has been noted, wisadet elkadem is romanized Arabic.  Trademark in Hungarian:

			 '
			vedjegy
--
	UUCP: ..decvax!seismo!elsie!ado    ARPA: elsie!ado@seismo.ARPA
	DEC, VAX and Elsie are Digital Equipment and Borden vedjegy

draskoy@ubc-ean.UUCP (Andrew Draskoy) (10/22/85)

In article <10500069@uiucdcsb> grass@uiucdcsb.CS.UIUC.EDU (Judy Grass) writes:
>>>Wisadet Elkadem		? (What languages have the letters "w" and "k"?)
>
>It doesn't look like any Slavic language I know (Polish has "w" and "k", but
>this has no Slavic roots).  This could possibly be Hungarian?

Sorry, Hungarian has no 'w' either.  Actually, the phonetics of Hungarian
are quite fascinating (to me, anyway), but I won't go into that now.
(It does have a 'k', BTW.)

Andrew Draskoy
Sydney Development Corporation
EAN:	andrew@sydney.cdn
UUCP:	ihnp4!alberta!ubc-vision!sydney.cdn!andrew