[net.nlang] outwith

kay@warwick.UUCP (Kay Dekker) (10/26/85)

In article <859@mcvax.UUCP> simon@mcvax.UUCP (Simon Kenyon) writes:

[they are discussing net.internat]

>talking about English Andrew, thought you might see the funny side of this!
>the word OUTWITH is Scottish. It does not exist in the English
>language. Having lived in Scotland and watched an American lady
>struggling to understand that word only goes to prove the point that
>this newsgroup is badly needed.

Foo!  'tain't no such thing!  'outwith' most certainly *does* exist in
the English language: at least, the *real* English language, not that
namby-pamby Normanised patois that those below the Humber speak...

I quote:
	Outwith, prep. and adv.  Chiefly north.; now Sc. ME [f. OUT adv.
+ WITH prep.; cf. INWITH and WITHOUT]  Without, outside.
							(Shorter Oxford)

						Kay.
--
"The only good thing that I can find to say about the idea of colonies
in space is that America could, at last, have a world to herself."