[net.nlang] Hor.Hacking Finn./Eston./Hung./Turk.

jbdp@jenny.UUCP (Julian Pardoe) (10/28/85)

In his good (if a little confusing) article dick@tjalk.UUCP (Dick Grune)
writes:
> They have awfully long words, by our standards.

The  standard  example  being  the Turkish avrupalilastirilamiyanlardan-
siniz (no dots on the i's,  cedilla under the first s):  you are one  of
those  who  are  incapable  of  being  Europeanized  --  sounds  like an
artificial creation,  but of course in Ataturk's day Europeanization was
a hot topic,  and words like this do come naturally to speakers of these
languages.

The   word   is   parsed  avrupa-li-las-tir-il-ami-yan-lar-dan-siniz  or
-from-`you are'.

(Lots  of  `Lar's and `Ler's are usually a sure sign of Turkish,  by the
way, as are `den's and `dan's.)

> Note:  Finnish  is  by  far the most difficult language I've seen,  no
> insult intended.

Yes!  My  Teach Yourself Finnish gives twenty rules for the formation of
the plural stem and soime fifteen or  more  for  the  formation  of  the
genitive  plural!  However  many  of  the forms such as `miesten' as the
genitive plural of the  stem  `miehe-'  are  predictable  once  you  get
familiar with the language.

Something  that  wasn't  mentioned in the `softening' of consonants that
takes place  in  Finnish  and  Estonian.  In  Finnish  there  are  three
series,  basically  tt  ->  t  ->  d;  pp  -> p -> v;  kk -> k -> 0/v/j.
Basically a consonant is softened when  the  syllable  which  it  starts
becomes  closed  (i.e.  changes  from CV to CVC).  Thus the genitives of
pojka (boy) and kirkko (church) are pojan and kirkon. Often assimilation
takes place: ranta (shore) -> rannalla (on the shore).

Ranta  shows  what the Finns do with consonant clusters: this word comes
from the Swedish strand.  Skruntch would probably end up in  Finnish  as
ransi.  The  Finns have only a small number of consonants -- no `b',  no
`d' except as a way of spelling the softest form of `t', no `f',  no `g'
except  to  spell a long `ng' sound (Helsinki -> Helsingin just as ranta
-> rannan),  no sh (except in a few borrowed words),  no z (I'm not even
considering letters like `q'),  so we have words like kirahvi (giraffe),
tohtori (doctor), Ranska (France, or Prantsu in Estonian; they've no  `f'
either!)

Estonian  uses  the  letter  ~o  (pronounced as a Russian hard i: `bI').
It's most unusual feature is that whereas F.  and H.  make do  with  two
grades  of  length  Estonian  has a third: over-long,  though this isn't
represented in spelling except for the `t',  `k' and `p'  sounds,  where
the  series  are  (in  the  order short-long-overlong): d-t-tt,  g-k-kk,
b-p-pp.  (Like F.  E.  doesn't distinguish between voiced and  voiceless
consonants,  so  the letters `d',  `g' and `b' are spare.)  Softening of
consonants seems (to me anyway)  much  less  regular  than  in  F:  more
variations  are  possible,  and  the cause (i.e.  closing of a syllable)
isn't so obvious.  This maybe because the word endings  have  been  worn
down.  As  Dick  Grune points out the Estonian word is often the Finnish
word with the last vowel cut off.  Put this vowel back and you  get  the
genitive,  which is the base for other cases in the singular (Tallinn ->
Tallinna (gen) -> Tallinnas (in T.),  Finnish  Tallinna  ->  Tallinnan /
Tallinnassa; E.  laev (ship) -> laeva,  Finnish laiva) -- which suggests
to me that maybe the genitive has an ending like the  Finnish  `-n'  but
this  got worn away: this would explain the softening which often occurs
in the genitive of a noun (sport -> spordi).

One  of  the distinguishing features of these languages is vowel harmony
(though modern Estonian has lost it).  F. and H.  basically  divide  the
vowels  into two classes: front and back,  and suffixes endings occur in
front and back forms. Thus in H.  (to choose rather artificial examples)
we  have  f"ustetlen  (smokeless) and h'azatlan (houseless).  In Finnish
`a',  `o' and `u' are front vowels,  with `"a',  `"o' and `y'  as  their
back equivalents.  `E' and `i' are neutral (though tending towards front
vowels).  Thus Oulussa (in Oulu),  Helsingiss"a (in Helsinki),  vuodelta
(from the year), vedelt"a (from the water).

Turkish  has  a  more  complex  scheme.  Basically there are two harmony
families: a / e (``two-fold harmony'') and \i / i / u /  "u  (``fourfold
harmony'', where \i is the dotless i); and the rules are

     after    2    4          from (= dan^2) our (= [i]miz^4)...
     a, \i    a   \i          father: baba-m\iz-dan
     e,  i    e    i          house:  ev-imiz-den
     u,  o    a    u          car:    oto-muz-dan
    "u, "o    e   "u          bridge: k"opr"u-m"uz-den

I could go on...

Julian Pardoe

University of Cambridge         Tel:     +44 223 352435 ext. 265
        Computer Laboratory     Arpa:    <@ucl-cs: jbdp@cl.cam.ac.uk>
Corn Exchange Street            Janet:   jbdp@UK.AC.Cam.CL
CAMBRIDGE, CB2 3QG              UUCP:    mcvax!ukc!cl-jenny!jbdp
Great Britain