[net.nlang] versatile word

michaelm@3comvax.UUCP (Michael McNeil) (09/28/85)

["Make my day, Line Eater Monst..."]

> In article <1170@vax1.fluke.UUCP> suz@fluke.UUCP (Suzanne Jurgensen) writes:
> (in net.jokes)
> >	Perhaps one of the most interesting words in the English language
> >today is the word "fuck."  It is the one magical word that, just by its
> >sound, can describe pain, pleasure, hate, and love.  Fuck, as most words in
> >the English language takes its name from the german word "fricken" which
> >means to "stick."
>
> That's not what *I* heared... In my dictionary, it said that the
> word 'fuck' came from german 'ficken', meaning 'to hit.'  That would
> make more sense, given the way I hear it used by people.
> ---> Tim Bessie ----- {ucbvax,dual}!unisoft!tim

The *American Heritage Dictionary* (an interesting dictionary for word
derivations) says much the same, except for spelling the Middle English
Germanic word as `fucken' rather than `ficken.'  `Fucken' is given the
meaning "to strike, move quickly, penetrate," and is said to be akin to
or perhaps borrowed from Middle Dutch `fokken,' which means "to strike,
copulate with."  Details are lacking due to lack of early attestations.

In its appendix on Proto-Indo-European roots, the *American Heritage
Dictionary* goes on to derive `fokken' from the Proto-Indo-European
root word `peig' or `peik,' which originally meant "evil minded,
hostile."  From this one ancient root, the modern English words
`fickle' ("treacherous"), `foe' ("enemy"), `fey' ("fated to die"),
`feud' ("hostility"), and `fuck' ("copulate") are all descended.

--

Michael McNeil
3Com Corporation     "All disclaimers including this one apply"

	Who knows for certain?  Who shall here declare it?
	Whence was it born, whence came creation?
	The gods are later than this world's formation;
	Who then can know the origins of the world?

	None knows whence creation arose;
	And whether he has or has not made it;
	He who surveys it from the lofty skies,
	Only he knows -- or perhaps he knows not.
		*The Rig Veda*, X. 129

biep@klipper.UUCP (J. A. "Biep" Durieux) (10/04/85)

>> In article <1170@vax1.fluke.UUCP> suz@fluke.UUCP (Suzanne Jurgensen) writes:
>> (in net.jokes)
>> >Fuck, as most words in
>> >the English language takes its name from the german word "fricken" which
>> >means to "stick."

*That* must be a versatile word! To be the root of most words in the English
language!

But, seriously, do we really want to restart for the nth time the discussion
about the origin of the word "fuck"? Isn't there someone who can post a sum-
mary of the results from the last discussion? Or perhaps it's time to put it
in the list of frequently asked questions (Gene, are you there?).

--
							  Biep.
	{seismo|decvax|philabs|garfield|okstate}!mcvax!vu44!biep

Hi, NSA, you read this, since I say KGB, El Salvador, DES decryption and CIA.

vanam@pttesac.UUCP (Marnix van Ammers) (10/11/85)

Regarding the Dutch word "fokken" relating to the English word "fuck" .

As I recall usage of the word "fokken" in Dutch in my youth (I was born
and raised in Holland and Curacao (X-Dutch colony in Carribean)), the
word meant to "copulate" but only applied to animals.  It was used much
in the way we use the word to "mate".

That may or may not be of help in explaining the origin of
the English "fuck".

As popular as this word is in English I would have thought that its
origin would long ago have been researched to death.

Marnix A. van Ammers

Marnix (first name -- pronounced as marnix)
van Ammers (last name -- 'v','a','n',' ','A','m','m','e','r','s')
"Is that a *?space?* in the middle of your name?"
"Yes, and the 'v' is small too."

 Remember, a statistic correlaton does not
    necessitate a specific causaton.

> As popular as this word is in English I would have thought that its
> origin would long ago have been researched to death.

	What amazes me is how commonplace the word `fuck' has become.  When I
was a kid growing up during the 50's, `fuck' was absolutely the WORST profanity
one could use, and was reserved for only the most serious occasions.  Now it
is an everyday word used in casual conversation at all social strata.

===  Larry Lippman @ Recognition Research Corp., Clarence, New York        ===
===  UUCP    {decvax,dual,rocksanne,rocksvax,watmath}!sunybcs!kitty!larry  ===
===  VOICE   716/741-9185		 {rice,shell}!baylor!/             ===
===  FAX     716/741-9635 {AT&T 3510D}	           syr!buf!/               ===
===  TELEX   69-71461 ansbak: ELGECOMCLR {via WUI} ihnp4!/                 ===
===                   "Have you hugged your cat today?"		           ===