[net.nlang] Metathesis

sra@oddjob.UUCP (Scott R. Anderson) (11/11/85)

In article <256@ptsfb.UUCP> rob@ptsfb.UUCP (Rob Bernardo) writes:
>An example of metathesis that occured that is considered acceptable but
>is still not reflected in the spelling is the word 'comfortable'
>pronounced as 'comfterble'.

What about 'Wednesday'?  Someone (from Britain, natch) intimated recently
that some people still pronounce the first 'd'.
--

					Scott Anderson
					ihnp4!oddjob!kaos!sra

rob@ptsfb.UUCP (Rob Bernardo) (11/12/85)

In article <1047@oddjob.UUCP> sra@oddjob.UUCP (Scott R. Anderson) writes:
>In article <256@ptsfb.UUCP> rob@ptsfb.UUCP (Rob Bernardo) writes:
>>An example of metathesis that occured that is considered acceptable but
>>is still not reflected in the spelling is the word 'comfortable'
>>pronounced as 'comfterble'.
>
>What about 'Wednesday'?  Someone (from Britain, natch) intimated recently
>that some people still pronounce the first 'd'.

I suppose what you're asking is this: since "Wednesday" is pronounced
"Wendsday", is there not metathesis of the "n" and "d".

I suspect not. What I believe happened (just an educated guess) is that
the "d" got dropped due to assimilation to the "n", leaving "Wensday".
The "d"-like sound you hear between the "n" and "s" (actually a "z" sound),
is really a always thrown in by the tongue in normal speech between "n" and "z"
as is a "t"-like sound between "n" and "s". This is why, for example,
"sense" and "cents" sound identical, except in hyper-careful speech.

gdmr@cstvax.UUCP (George D M Ross) (11/18/85)

In article <257@ptsfb.UUCP> rob@ptsfb.UUCP (Rob Bernardo) writes:
>In article <1047@oddjob.UUCP> sra@oddjob.UUCP (Scott R. Anderson) writes:
>>In article <256@ptsfb.UUCP> rob@ptsfb.UUCP (Rob Bernardo) writes:

>I suppose what you're asking is this: since "Wednesday" is pronounced
>"Wendsday", is there not metathesis of the "n" and "d".
It is?  I've just conducted a quick straw poll and found that everybody
pronounced it "Wedensday", rather closer to the derivation "Woden's day".

>.... This is why, for example,
>"sense" and "cents" sound identical, except in hyper-careful speech.
Hmmm.  I really don't think that everybody around here speaks hyper-carefully.

Anyway, please don't assume that your local accent/dialect/whatever is
universal (all the people I asked are native Scots speakers, of one variety
or another).  Yes, I am interested in your point of view, but it would be
more useful if you could indicate its applicability....

--
George D M Ross, Dept. of Computer Science, Univ. of Edinburgh
Phone: +44 31-667 1081 x2730