[net.nlang] Sundays

wcs@ho95e.UUCP (Bill.Stewart.4K435.x0705) (11/25/85)

In article <174@watmath.UUCP> ddyment@watmath.UUCP (Doug Dyment) writes:

>> For several hundred years sunday has been the first day of the
>>week. Look at any calandar[sic].
>>
> For several thousand years Sunday has been the last day of the
>week.  Look at any bible.

Funny, my Bible refers to the Sabbath, but it doesn't use the modern
names, which are mostly of pagan European origin.  However, the Jews,
for whom the Sabbath is a way of life, still think Saturday is the
Sabbath, and I doubt they'd have gotten it wrong.  There are early
records from the Romans which refer to Christians getting together on
the *first* day of the week for their meetings, i.e. Sunday, in honor
of the resurrection.  Gradually this absorbed many of the Sabbath
traditions (most early Christians *were* Jewish), and many groups have
treated Sunday as the Sabbath;  others, such as the Seventh-Day
Adventists, point out that the Sabbath is still Saturday.

I get the impression that renumbering the days of the week so they
start with Monday is a recent European rationalization of "Sunday is
our Sabbath so it must be the 7th day of the week"; customary usage in
the USA is that the week starts on Sunday, whereas I remember learning
the days of the week in French as "<monday>, <tuesday>..." (Sorry, but I
never could spell them)

				Bill

Arrgh! An electrical virus is eating my terminal!
--
## Bill Stewart, AT&T Bell Labs, Holmdel NJ 1-201-949-0705 ihnp4!ho95c!wcs

bandy@lll-crg.ARpA (Andrew Scott Beals) (11/28/85)

In article <262@ho95e.UUCP> wcs@ho95e.UUCP (Bill Stewart ( 1-201-949-0705 ihnp4!ho95c!wcs )) writes:
>In article <174@watmath.UUCP> ddyment@watmath.UUCP (Doug Dyment) writes:
>>> For several hundred years sunday has been the first day of the
>>>week. Look at any calandar[sic].
>> For several thousand years Sunday has been the last day of the
>>week.  Look at any bible.
>I get the impression that renumbering the days of the week so they
>start with Monday is a recent European rationalization of "Sunday is
>our Sabbath so it must be the 7th day of the week"; customary usage in
>the USA is that the week starts on Sunday, whereas I remember learning
>the days of the week in French as "<monday>, <tuesday>..." (Sorry, but I
>never could spell them)

If I remember correctly, the National Bureau of Standards published
a standard some time ago that calendars should be marked with Monday
as the first day of the week.
--
There once was a fellow named Moorehead,
Who had an affair with a warhead.

andy beals - bandy@lll-crg.arpa - {seismo,ihnp4!sun,dual}!lll-crg!bandy