[net.nlang] Days of the week

ellis@spar.UUCP (Michael Ellis) (11/29/85)

>I get the impression that renumbering the days of the week so they
>start with Monday is a recent European rationalization of "Sunday is
>our Sabbath so it must be the 7th day of the week"; customary usage in
>the USA is that the week starts on Sunday, whereas I remember learning
>the days of the week in French as "<monday>, <tuesday>..." (Sorry, but I
>never could spell them) - Bill Stewart

    The 7 days of the week fit nicely into the ancient cosmic scheme with 7
    (visible) non-stationary astronomical bodies, which were, of course,
    considered to be gods. What is odd is the mapping of the GraecoRoman
    gods to the Teutonic ones:

Object    French        English     Danish    Teutonic Names

sun	  [dimanche]	sunday      s0ndag    sun
moon	  lundi		monday      mandag    moon
mars  	  mardi		tuesday     tirsdag   E.Tiw
mercury   mercredi	wednesday   onsdag    E.Weden, G.Wotan, S.Odin
jupiter   jeudi		thursday    torsdag   G.Donner/S.Thor
venus	  vendredi	friday      fredag    G.Freia+Fricka
saturn	  [samedi]	[saturday]  loerdag   E.{low/ley=flame},G.Loge,S.Loki

    Tiw, which is cognate with ju-piter and zeus (IE. dy[eo]us = `day,sky'),
    was equated with mars; the teutonic king of the gods (weden) was equated
    with mercury; the god of thunder (thor) with jupiter; and the sly god
    of fire (loki) with saturn. These equations make no sense whatsoever!

    Can anybody explain this? And why do we call it `saturday' rather than
    `leyday/lowday', which is what I suspect would be the AngloSaxon
    equivalent of Danish `loerdag' if it had survived?

-michael

ins_atrh@jhunix.UUCP (Thomas Richard Holtz) (12/02/85)

In article <674@spar.UUCP> ellis@spar.UUCP (Michael Ellis) writes:
>>I get the impression that renumbering the days of the week so they
>>start with Monday is a recent European rationalization of "Sunday is
>>our Sabbath so it must be the 7th day of the week"; customary usage in
>>the USA is that the week starts on Sunday, whereas I remember learning
>>the days of the week in French as "<monday>, <tuesday>..." (Sorry, but I
>>never could spell them) - Bill Stewart
>
>    The 7 days of the week fit nicely into the ancient cosmic scheme with 7
>    (visible) non-stationary astronomical bodies, which were, of course,
>    considered to be gods. What is odd is the mapping of the GraecoRoman
>    gods to the Teutonic ones:
>
>Object    French        English     Danish    Teutonic Names
>
>sun	  [dimanche]	sunday      s0ndag    sun
>moon	  lundi		monday      mandag    moon
>mars  	  mardi		tuesday     tirsdag   E.Tiw
>mercury   mercredi	wednesday   onsdag    E.Weden, G.Wotan, S.Odin
>jupiter   jeudi		thursday    torsdag   G.Donner/S.Thor
>venus	  vendredi	friday      fredag    G.Freia+Fricka
>saturn	  [samedi]	[saturday]  loerdag   E.{low/ley=flame},G.Loge,S.Loki
>
>    Tiw, which is cognate with ju-piter and zeus (IE. dy[eo]us = `day,sky'),
>    was equated with mars; the teutonic king of the gods (weden) was equated
>    with mercury; the god of thunder (thor) with jupiter; and the sly god
>    of fire (loki) with saturn. These equations make no sense whatsoever!
>
>    Can anybody explain this? And why do we call it `saturday' rather than
>    `leyday/lowday', which is what I suspect would be the AngloSaxon
>    equivalent of Danish `loerdag' if it had survived?

Okay.  First of all, the equation of Tyr with Mars is a little wierd, but
not too much so.  Tyr/Tiw is god of law and honor (as in the incident with
the Fenris Wolf and Tyr's hand), but he is also a war god, as is Mars.
Odin/Woden and Mercury have one major aspect in common:  magic.  Mercury,
in many forms (especially the alchemaic Hermes Trimegistos) was associated
with magic, and Odin is the archetype of the Nordic wizard (broad rimmed hat,
magic staff, and all).
Both Thor and Jupiter are thunderers, who throw around lightning bolts and
such for fun.
Loki and Saturn make a strange pair, too.  You could say that they have the
common attribute of not being on the same side as the rest of the gods
(Saturn/Kronos is a Titan, not an Olympian;  Loki is a half-giant whose
true loyalties are revealed at the end of Time), but that's a reach if ever
I heard (or uttered) one.

Now, as for the lack of a leyday in English, I think it may have something
to do with the "Romanization" of the language by the Normans after 1066.

                                       Thomas R. Holtz, Jr.

andersa@kuling.UUCP (Anders Andersson) (12/05/85)

In article <674@spar.UUCP> ellis@spar.UUCP (Michael Ellis) writes:
>Object   French        English     Danish    Teutonic Names
>
>sun	  [dimanche]	sunday      s0ndag    sun
>moon	  lundi		monday      mandag    moon
>mars  	  mardi		tuesday     tirsdag   E.Tiw
>mercury  mercredi	wednesday   onsdag    E.Weden, G.Wotan, S.Odin
>jupiter  jeudi		thursday    torsdag   G.Donner/S.Thor
>venus	  vendredi	friday      fredag    G.Freia+Fricka
>saturn	  [samedi]	[saturday]  loerdag   E.{low/ley=flame},G.Loge,S.Loki
>
>    Tiw, which is cognate with ju-piter and zeus (IE. dy[eo]us = `day,sky'),
>    was equated with mars; the teutonic king of the gods (weden) was equated
>    with mercury; the god of thunder (thor) with jupiter; and the sly god
>    of fire (loki) with saturn. These equations make no sense whatsoever!
>
>    Can anybody explain this? And why do we call it `saturday' rather than
>    `leyday/lowday', which is what I suspect would be the AngloSaxon
>    equivalent of Danish `loerdag' if it had survived?

Maybe nobody put any effort in making equations at all? I guess that these
names have developed independently of each other, and that in the past
different languages adopted different mixes of them, regardless of origin.

E.Tiw = S.Tyr, it seems?

"Loerdag" (the same in both Swedish and Danish) is not derived from the name
of the god Loke, but from "loegardag", or the day you wash yourself. "Loega"
(to wash) is an almost extinct Swedish word today (I don't know for Danish).
No, the custom once so named is however not extinct, fortunately...
--
Anders Andersson, Dept. of Computer Systems, Uppsala University, Sweden
Phone: +46 18 183170

ian@wcwvax.UUCP (Ian Kemmish) (12/05/85)

>    Tiw, which is cognate with ju-piter and zeus (IE. dy[eo]us = `day,sky'),
>    was equated with mars; the teutonic king of the gods (weden) was equated
>    with mercury; the god of thunder (thor) with jupiter; and the sly god
>    of fire (loki) with saturn. These equations make no sense whatsoever!
>
>    Can anybody explain this? And why do we call it `saturday' rather than
>    `leyday/lowday', which is what I suspect would be the AngloSaxon
>    equivalent of Danish `loerdag' if it had survived?

I remember reading (admittedly in a coffee-table book!) a speculation that
Saturday came from an obscure Northern deity called "Surtur" who
*I think* presided over the time leading up to Goetterdaemmerung.
Hence, by association, became the god of "the ends of things" and in
particular the week!   I guess Surtur and Saturn could well be cognate.

I've always liked the idea; now's my chance to ask someone who might
know the answer if there's any grain of truth in it!!

thorinn@diku.UUCP (Lars Henrik Mathiesen) (12/06/85)

In article <674@spar.UUCP> ellis@spar.UUCP (Michael Ellis) writes:
>saturn	  [samedi]	[saturday]  loerdag   E.{low/ley=flame},G.Loge,S.Loki

  I think the accepted etymology for "loerdag" in danish is `washing-day';
I am not sure whether saturday once had an other name - this might be the
original rendering of the foreign (Latin?/German?) name of the day.
--
Lars Mathiesen, DIKU, Copenhagen, Denmark.  ..!mcvax!diku!thorinn

carnes@gargoyle.UUCP (Richard Carnes) (12/07/85)

>> And why do we call it `saturday' rather than
>> `leyday/lowday', which is what I suspect would be the AngloSaxon
>> equivalent of Danish `loerdag' if it had survived?
>
>... I think it may have something
>to do with the "Romanization" of the language by the Normans after 1066.

No -- it is related to the fact that the British Isles did not come
under Christian influence until several centuries after most of the
rest of Europe.  The origin of the 7-day week is an interesting
story:

The astrological week of seven days (named after the seven ancient
"planets") evolved in Alexandria around the 2nd century B.C.  After
Julius Caesar conquered Egypt in the 1st century B.C., the
astrological week spread through the areas ruled by Rome.  The Jewish
seven-day week evolved independently.  The early Christians knew
Saturday as the Jewish "Shabbath," and adopted this name for "dies
Saturni."  (The Jews identified the Sabbath and Saturn's Day, and
named the planet Saturn after the Sabbath.  Some of the ancients
speculated that the Shabbath was a good day to take a rest anyway,
since it was inauspicious as belonging to Saturn! -- cf. the word
"saturnine.")  Christians also changed Sunday ("dies Soli") to "the
Lord's day" ("dies Domini") but retained the astrological names for
the other days of the week, since they had no particular religious
significance.  (The early Christians associated the Lord with the sun
in various ways; e.g., December 25 was chosen to celebrate Christ's
nativity at least in part because it was traditionally the "birthday"
of the sun after the winter solstice.)

Christian influence spread rapidly in the Empire, and today the
Romance languages use the Christian names for Saturday (sabato (It.),
sabado (Sp.), samedi (Fr.)) and for Sunday (domingo, dimanche, etc.).
However, Rome lost control of Britain early on, and there was little
or no Christianization of Britain for several centuries into the
Christian era.  Consequently the astrological names became
established, and today English, the Celtic languages of the British
Isles, and Dutch are the only European languages which retain the
astrological name for Saturday, as also for Sunday, along with
German, Danish, and some others.  The days which are named after
Teutonic gods were apparently named by an attempt to identify these
gods with Roman counterparts.

German speakers, however, scored a coup by naming Wednesday
"Midweek," which must help German speakers get through a tough week.

The full story on the week can be found in the ultimate book on the
subject, *The Seven-Day Circle* by E. Zerubavel.
--
Richard Carnes, ihnp4!gargoyle!carnes

wmartin@brl-tgr.ARPA (Will Martin ) (12/09/85)

More of the strange relationship of the net to television:

Just this Saturday, on the syndicated show "The Start of Something Big"
(or something like that), with Steve Allen, one of the topics covered
was the origin of the seven-day week! He mentioned that some African
tribes has four-day weeks, other cultures had 5 and 6-day weeks, and
that the seven-day week originated with the Babylonians.

(Why do topics appear on the net and then shortly thereafter on US TV? I
could understand the reverse, but this is strange...)

Will

rjw@ptsfc.UUCP (Rod Williams) (12/10/85)

>          ...and today English, the Celtic languages of the British
>Isles, and Dutch are the only European languages which retain the
>astrological name for Saturday, as also for Sunday, along with
>German, Danish, and some others.

 Not quite...true, the Irish Gaelic for Saturday is Satharn, but
 Sunday is Domhnach (the lord's day) just like the Romance languages.
 Christianity came to Ireland, in the person of none other than
 St. Patrick, in the mid-5th Century - quite a bit later than
 mainland Europe and Britain.
--

 rod williams | {ihnp4,dual}!ptsfa!ptsfc!rjw
 pacific bell |  san ramon  |  california

carnes@gargoyle.UUCP (Richard Carnes) (12/10/85)

>However, Rome lost control of Britain early on...

Oops -- Rome maintained at least formal control of Britain up to
Hadrian's Wall near the Tyne from the mid-1st century A.D. to the 5th
century.  I'm not sure when Britain became Christian, but I believe
it was comparatively late.

--
Richard Carnes, ihnp4!gargoyle!carnes

anderson@ucla-cs.UUCP (12/13/85)

>     The 7 days of the week fit nicely into the ancient cosmic scheme with 7
>     (visible) non-stationary astronomical bodies, which were, of course,
>     considered to be gods. What is odd is the mapping of the GraecoRoman
>     gods to the Teutonic ones:
>
> Object    French        English     Danish    Teutonic Names
> saturn          [samedi]      [saturday]  loerdag   E.{low/ley=flame},G.Loge,S.Loki
>     Tiw, which is cognate with ju-piter and zeus (IE. dy[eo]us = `day,sky'),
>     was equated with mars; the teutonic king of the gods (weden) was equated
>     with mercury; the god of thunder (thor) with jupiter; and the sly god
>     of fire (loki) with saturn. These equations make no sense whatsoever!
>
>     Can anybody explain this? And why do we call it `saturday' rather than
>     `leyday/lowday', which is what I suspect would be the AngloSaxon
>     equivalent of Danish `loerdag' if it had survived?

Several messages posted to this newsgroup lately have explored the
significance of the apparent equation of Germanic Loki with Saturn which
seems to be implied by the relation of e.g. Danish loerdag with English
Saturday. However interesting the mythological significance of this relation,
though, it IS mythical: Danish loerdag is a modern reflex of Old Norse
laugar-dagr (cf. also modern Icelandic laugardagur), literally "bath-day",
from the Noun laug "hot-spring; bath". Loki had nothing to do with it.
                                        Steve Anderson
                                        Dept. of Linguistics, UCLA
                                        beaune!anderson@locus.ucla.edu
                                        ijq3sra@uclamvs.bitnet