[net.nlang] A reply, posted for a friend

zwicky@osu-eddie.UUCP (Elizabeth D. Zwicky) (12/11/85)

Apology for the delay - the original posting got carried by hand, and
then the response, and then finals ...

But anyway; you may remember back last week sometime, a posting in
a foreign language with the subject "Posted for a friend" and next to
no explanation. There follows, a reply for the general edification
of anyone who understood the original.

Pese enne suu puhtaks kui ra"a"kima hakkad. Kui viisakalt ra"a"gid
siis ehk vastan ka.

A note: I know for a fact that there are on the net, reading this newsgroup,
speakers of Finnish, in Norway, and that the net, in some form reaches
Helsinki. Due to the likelihood that there are rather more people who
understand you than you think, Rot-13 is probably safer.

	Elizabeth D.Zwicky

andersa@kuling.UUCP (Anders Andersson) (12/17/85)

In article <980@osu-eddie.UUCP> zwicky@osu-eddie.UUCP (Elizabeth D. Zwicky) writes:
>Pese enne suu puhtaks kui ra"a"kima hakkad. Kui viisakalt ra"a"gid
>siis ehk vastan ka.
>
>A note: I know for a fact that there are on the net, reading this newsgroup,
>speakers of Finnish, in Norway, and that the net, in some form reaches
>Helsinki. Due to the likelihood that there are rather more people who
>understand you than you think, Rot-13 is probably safer.

To be pedantic, the mentioned posting was not written in Finnish but in
Estonian. A friend of mine who speaks this language found it rather
amusing (it merely consisted of childish insults). Now he is on the net
too.
--
Anders Andersson, Dept. of Computer Systems, Uppsala University, Sweden
Phone: +46 18 183170