[net.nlang] Another Mangled Hymn

dave@cylixd.UUCP (Dave Kirby) (11/15/85)

>On mangled hymns, I always get a giggle out of
>"Lead on oh king eternal" it sometimes sounds like
>"Lead on oh kinky turtle".
>
>Lynn Macey
>Plexus Computers
>..!decwrl!sun!plx!lynn

I knew a guy who as a kid heard:
	"Up from the grave He arose,
	With a mighty triumph o'er His foes."
and thought it was:
	"Up from the grave He arose,
	With a mighty fungus on His toes."

Dave Kirby    ( ...!ihnp4!akgub!cylixd!dave)

lsmith@ut-ngp.UUCP (lsmith) (11/19/85)

I always liked the passage "Oh, we like sheep" in the Messiah.

ins_aaaw@jhunix.UUCP (Adlai A. Waksman) (11/21/85)

> I always liked the passage "Oh, we like sheep" in the Messiah.

How 'bout "And He Shall Putrefy"?
--
Adlai Waksman
Mathematical Sciences, The Johns Hopkins University, Baltimore, MD  21218

"Synergy is the essence of it all..... and nobody played guitar."  -- L. Fast

_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_r_e_p_l_a_c_e_-_t_h_i_s_-_l_i_n_e_-_w_i_t_h_-_y_o_u_r_-_f_a_v_o_r_i_t_e_-_d_i_s_c_l_a_i_m_e_r_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-

lbg@gitpyr.UUCP (Lee B Grey) (11/27/85)

It's not a hymn, but my sister used to think that
Creedence Clearwater Revival's chorus in Bad Moon
Rising was "There's a bathroom on the right."

wmartin@brl-tgr.ARPA (Will Martin ) (12/03/85)

Well, since we have moved from hymns to pop music, I have a couple
examples:

A song from the 60's, "This Guy's In Love With You", before I saw a
reference to it in print, always seemed to be:

"You see the sky -- the sky's in love with you.", which seemed logical
in a metaphysical way to me, indicating that the object of the song was
so attractive that even elemental forces and natural phenomena worshipped
her...

And this one I just discovered this weekend -- The Elton John song,
"Little Jeannie", always seemed to me to be "Little G-Man". (He being
gay, after all, I just assumed that he was singing about his favorite
FBI agent... :-) Only discovered that from buying the record out of a
cut-out bin and playing it and then recognizing the song and looking at
the lyrics enclosed.

I like my interpretations better than the "reality", so will change
everything to correspond when I become King...

Will

beth@uvacs.UUCP (Beth Stubbs) (12/04/85)

  Anybody remember a couple years ago a song by Men at Work called "Helpless
Automaton"  (they pronounce automaton with a long 'a' and the accent on the
third syllable)?
  The singer's Aussie accent often makes song lyrics hard to understand,
but I remember having particular problems with one of the lines in this song.
I still swear I hear, "I'm a helpless automaton; make an ultimatum to you" as
"I'm an alka seltzer maiden kicking a tomato to you."   In the same song my
roommate thought the line "That's why I feel so disgusted" was "That's my
Ivory soap; don't touch it."
--
--------
Did you ever ask yourself, "who holds the key that winds up Big Ben?"

Beth Stubbs       University of Virginia, Dept. of Computer Science
                  UUCP: decvax!mcnc!ncsu!uvacs!beth

cwd@cuae2.UUCP (Chris Donahue) (12/04/85)

Two of my alltime favorite mangled lines:

My mother's interpretation of "He shall be Levon." Elton John, Madman Across
the Water, Song: Levon, "The sows gonna leave home." Elton was into mumbling
on that album anyway.

My friend's interpreation of "Eyes without a face." Billy Idol, Rebel Yell,
Song: Eyes without a face, "Hows about a date." It does almost sound like that.

Bonus third mangled line:

Instead of "She had a raspberry beret", "She had a raspberry for brains"

Chris Donahue
AT&T Info. Sys.
Application Engineering

aoki@oracle.UUCP (Don Aoki) (12/05/85)

In article <1095@gitpyr.UUCP>, lbg@gitpyr.UUCP (Lee B Grey) writes:
> It's not a hymn, but my sister used to think that
> Creedence Clearwater Revival's chorus in Bad Moon
> Rising was "There's a bathroom on the right."

Let's also not forget about that Bee Gees classic, "Bald Headed Woman" !

--
Don Aoki
ORACLE Corporation

ark@ut-sally.UUCP (Arthur M. Keller) (12/05/85)

William Safire's "On Language" column (appears in the New York Times
Sunday magazine section and elsewhere) occasionally contains mangled
hymns.  A few that I recall from his articles are:

From the Star Spangled Banner: "Jose', can you see?"  (There's even an
old joke based on that pun, about a boy named Jose' who was watching
a baseball game from the top of a flagpole because he was too poor to
pay admission.)

From the Pledge of Allegiance to the U.S.:  "I led the pigeons to the
flag of the untied states of anemia, and to the republic for Richard
Stans, one nation, in a dirigible, in delirium and justice for all."

From the Lord's Prayer: "Our Father who art in heaven, hello, what's
your name?..."

Now for the obligatory joke:
(This is a meta-lightbulb joke.)
A group of generic ethnics were standing around telling lightbulb jokes.
One of them asked, "How many Americans does it take to change a lightbulb?"
When the answer was "One!" they all laughed.

Arpanet: ARK@SALLY.UTEXAS.EDU	UUCP: ARK@UT-SALLY.UUCP

wex@milano.UUCP (12/05/85)

For those into songs with 'new' words, I recommend trying to find
Walt Kelley's "Songs of the Pogo" which contains lyrics to most of
the songs sung by the denizens of Okeefenokee (sp?) swamp, including
the seasonal classic "Deck Us All With Boston Charlie".

--Alan Wexelblat
WEX@MCC.ARPA
(and maybe) ...!sally!im4u!milano!wex

black@unc.UUCP (Samuel Black) (12/06/85)

From "Sheep" by Pink Floyd
	(Lyrics by Roger Waters)

The Lord is my shepherd, I shall not want.
He makes me down to lie.
Through pastures green He leadeth me the silent waters by.
With bright knives He releaseth my soul.
He maketh me to hang on hooks in high places.
He converteth me to lamb cutlets.
For lo, He hath great power, and great hunger.
When cometh the day we lowly ones,
Through quiet reflection and great dedication,
Master the art of karate,
Lo, we shall rise up;
And then we'll make the bugger's eyes water.

----------------------------------

	Remember:
		No matter where you go,
			There you are.

	...!{decvax,ihnp4}!mcnc!unc!black	(usenet)
	black%unc@csnet-relay.csnet		(arpanet)

----------------------------------

iwm@icdoc.UUCP (Ian Moor) (12/07/85)

The BBC comedy show 'Not the 9 o'clock News' ran a song called
'Kinda lingers' guess how that was meant to be mangled by the watchers
(try saying it to yourself a few times!)

--
Ian W Moor
  UUCP: seismo!mcvax!ukc!icdoc!iwm

 Department of Computing   Whereat a great and far-off voice was heard, saying,
 Imperial College.         Poop-poop-poopy, and it was even so; and the days
 180 Queensgate            of Poopy Panda were long in the land.
 London SW7 Uk.

sra@oddjob.UUCP (Scott R. Anderson) (12/08/85)

In article <3715@ut-sally.UUCP> ark@sally.UUCP (Arthur M. Keller) writes:
>William Safire's "On Language" column (appears in the New York Times
>Sunday magazine section and elsewhere) occasionally contains mangled
>hymns.  A few that I recall from his articles are:
>From the Pledge of Allegiance to the U.S.:  "I led the pigeons to the
>flag of the untied states of anemia, and to the republic for Richard
>Stans, one nation, in a dirigible, in delirium and justice for all."

And another version, from Matt Groening's "Life in Hell":

"I plead alignment to the flakes of the untitled snakes of a merry cow,
and to the Republicans for which they scam, one nacho, underpants, with
licorice and jugs of wine for owls."

Well, it's a free country :-).
--

					Scott Anderson
					ihnp4!oddjob!kaos!sra

cipher@mmm.UUCP (Andre Guirard) (12/08/85)

In article <3715@ut-sally.UUCP> ark@sally.UUCP (Arthur M. Keller) writes:
>From the Lord's Prayer: "Our Father who art in heaven, hello, what's
>your name?..."

I've heard that The Lord's name must be Harold Wishart, because, "Our
Father Wishart in Heaven, Harold by thy name..."

>Now for the obligatory joke:

Q: Why does a Frenchman eat only one egg for breakfast?

A: Orpnhfr sbe n Serapuzna, bar rtt vf "ha rbhs".
--

 /''`\						Andre Guirard
([]-[])						De Tuss from de Tonn

turner@imagen.UUCP (D'arc Angel) (12/09/85)

> For those into songs with 'new' words, I recommend trying to find
> Walt Kelley's "Songs of the Pogo" which contains lyrics to most of
> the songs sung by the denizens of Okeefenokee (sp?) swamp, including
> the seasonal classic "Deck Us All With Boston Charlie".
>
> --Alan Wexelblat
> WEX@MCC.ARPA
> (and maybe) ...!sally!im4u!milano!wex

i dont have my "10 every lovin' blue eye'd years with pogo" with me
so this is from memory:

McBonface lies over devotion
McBonface lies over D.C.
McBonface lies over devotion
O' brick brack McBonface toe me
--
			god bless Lily St. Cyr
			 -Rocky Horror Picture Show

Name:	James Turner
Mail:	Imagen Corp. 2650 San Tomas Expressway, P.O. Box 58101
        Santa Clara, CA 95052-9400
AT&T:	(408) 986-9400
UUCP:	...{decvax,ucbvax}!decwrl!imagen!turner

chris@globetek.UUCP (chris) (12/12/85)

Thinking of mangled hymns, two of my favourites come from my Anglican
childhood  (from other kids, *sigh*) -- turning one line of the
Apostle's Creed into "shove it under Pontius Pilate", and a line of
the burial service into "In the name of the Father and of the Son, and
into the hole he goes"!

(The correct renditions are "suffered under Pontius Pilate" and "...and of
the Holy Ghost", for non-Anglicans...)
--

Christine Robertson  {linus, ihnp4, decvax}!utzoo!globetek!chris
--

Christine Robertson  {linus, ihnp4, decvax}!utzoo!globetek!chris

ma3752af@unmc.UUCP (12/17/85)

> Bonus third mangled line:
>
> Instead of "She had a raspberry beret", "She had a raspberry for brains"

   Actually, it should be
   "She wore a black, hairy toupee"

   And how about:
   "Baby lets her blue jeans fart" for "Baby lets her blue jeans talk"??

   And :
   "With a Santa yell; he cried ho, ho, ho."
   for Billy Idol's silly song.

   And:
   Love in a cattlefield.
   Only the lonely get laid.
   Only the lonely get spayed.
   Gonna dress you up in mylar.
   Madonna's Like Detergent or Like A Vermin

							From the digusting
							minds and bodies of:

							  The Technoids

crandell@ut-sally.UUCP (Jim Crandell) (12/18/85)

>Well, it's a free country :-).

Okay, I guess you got what you paid for.
--

    Jim Crandell, C. S. Dept., The University of Texas at Austin
               {ihnp4,seismo,ctvax}!ut-sally!crandell