[net.nlang] Japanese Gestures

barryg@sdcrdcf.UUCP (Lee Gold) (12/17/85)

Since we're currently discussing learning Japanese AND gestures, it
seems only appropriate to discuss the intersection of the two.

Japanese gestures are (not surprisingly but perhaps disconcertingly)
different than standard Western ones in a number of respects.  Like the
rest of the Orient, they discriminate between wiggling the fingers above
the hand (summons dogs and other animals) and below (summons people).
Probably similarly eating is shown by manipulating two fingers in a
chopstick-like motion.  A Japanese saying "It's me" points at the
noise, not the heart.  Waving your hand fanlike in front of your face
means "I can't help you," "we're closed, or some other equivalent of
"go away."  The little finger signifies a woman and the thumb a man
(so that saying "He's busy" while raising your little finger pinpoints
the nature of the activity as sexual).

Or so Seward says (and my observations confirm).  However, Seward never
discussed Japanese obscene gestures.  Anyone out there care to do so?

--Lee Gold

edwards@uwmacc.UUCP (mark edwards) (12/18/85)

In article <2522@sdcrdcf.UUCP> barryg@sdcrdcf.UUCP (Lee Gold) writes:
>Since we're currently discussing learning Japanese AND gestures, it
>seems only appropriate to discuss the intersection of the two.
>
>means "I can't help you," "we're closed, or some other equivalent of
>"go away."  The little finger signifies a woman and the thumb a man
>(so that saying "He's busy" while raising your little finger pinpoints
>the nature of the activity as sexual).

 I have observed these also. The little finger also means that one has
 a girl friend or when some one asks if one has a girl friend. Like
 wise with the thumb for women.
  The thumb put between the first two fingers means engaging or have
in engaged in sex (( can we say that word here??)).
  The do use their middle finger to fix their glasses.
  As far as using their fingers to profess profanity, I don't believe
they do.

What about about swear words ?
  They use vegetables to express some like concepts.

    Daikon ashi   -   radish legs (fat legs - radishes in Japan are big)
    pima ko       -   green pepper head. (empty headed)
    kabocha       -   pumpkin head ( express disagreement with someone
				     but I forget what)

 Does any one no any others ?

 They also use words like:

     chikushoo     equivalent to "shit" I think
     baka yaro     equivalent to "damn you" or "f__k you" but means
		     you stupid fool, or foolish person.

 others ?

 mark.