[net.nlang] Spoken English as an "Easy Language"

barryg@sdcrdcf.UUCP (Lee Gold) (12/27/85)

Michael Ellis's recent article attempted to establish objective criteria
for easy languages.  I think this is like trying to establish criteria
for "transparent" computer languages.  A language seems easy (or transparent)
if it's like the one you first learned.

As I undertand it, there IS a pattern that all creole languages (languages
formed by a cross between two different languages) tend to fall into.   You
could probably claim this pattern was objectively easy for human beings.
I forget what the creole pattern is though.  Perhaps someone out there
remembers.   In any case, the logically unnecessary features Ellis mentions
(gender, etc.) are part of the necessary redundancy of a spoken language.
English's pattern of adding -s to the third person singular is a redundant
pattern too.  One of my Linguistics professors claimed that ALL languages
ended up having the same degree of redundancy; apparently humans need it
to decode voice input.

Anyway, Ellis seems to be confusing spoken and written English in a number
of his points.  Written English indeed uses a standard -s for most of its
plurals.  Spoken English, however, uses -s, -z, or -uz (schwa z) for
plurals, depending on the word.  (The plural of "cat" is "cats"; the plural
of "form" is "formz"; the plural of "dish" is "dishuz".)

English nouns are divided (in a distinction no native speaer ever notices,
but poor foreigners have to learn) into mass nouns and count nouns.
Mass nouns are counted with counters; count nouns are counted with
numbers.  Dish, glass, computer are count nouns.  However, you don't
count one bread, two breads, three breads.  You count bread (or toast) with
slices, milk with glasses, scissors (and shoes) with pairs, etc.

One aspect of English that those whose native langauge lacks it find VERY
hard to learn is the article.  When does a noun take no article, the
definite article (the), or the indefinite article (a)?

I never got around to taking Teaching English as a Second Language or I
could probably write a book on the difficulties of English, both spoken
and written, instead of merely the few paragraphs above.

English spelling is NOT abominable.  It was, of course, rather more phonetic
when it was set, back in the days that the distinction between the open
and closed e had not disappeared and so was preserved by spelling one
"ie" or "ee" and the other as "ea" (or so claimed my Linguistic professors).
However, English is best regarded as a morphonetically spelled languaged.
Its spelling shows you the origin of a word and its relation to other words.
For instance, "sign" and "signify" are related in spelling though totally
unrelated in pronunciation.

Moreover, consider the horror of an English spelled phonetically.
According to whose pronunciation?  British (Oxcam?  Yorkshire?  Devon?),
American (Virginian?  Bostonian?  Californian?), Australian?  I had an
Australian friend phone me once to tell me (seemingly) that he wouldn't be
writing me for awhile because the mile was on strike.  I asked how the
kilometer was working, then realized he meant the mailmen were striking.
I shudder at the thought of reading letters written in phonetic
Australian.

--Lee Gold

ellis@spar.UUCP (Michael Ellis) (12/28/85)

In article <2544@sdcrdcf.UUCP> barryg@sdcrdcf.UUCP (Lee Gold) writes:

>In any case, the logically unnecessary features Ellis mentions
>(gender, etc.) are part of the necessary redundancy of a spoken language.
>English's pattern of adding -s to the third person singular is a redundant
>pattern too.

    However, this feature is totally regular (modulo modal auxiliaries; even
    3s of to be => `iS', probably the source of 3s -S, BTW). If this be a
    difficult qulaity of English, it is a particularly easy one to learn,
    alternating as it does between `cat meowS' and `catS meow'..

>Anyway, Ellis seems to be confusing spoken and written English in a number
>of his points.  Written English indeed uses a standard -s for most of its
>plurals.  Spoken English, however, uses -s, -z, or -uz (schwa z) for
>plurals, depending on the word.  (The plural of "cat" is "cats"; the plural
>of "form" is "formz"; the plural of "dish" is "dishuz".)

    Phonetically, English plurals are easer to form than written:

	X => X + 0z / X = sybilant {s, z, sh, zh, ch, j}
	  => X + s  / X = unvoiced  {p, f, t,  th, k}
	  => X + z  / otherwise

    Wherever -s is the proper ending, this rule admits practically no
    exceptions, and recurs for, plurals, 3rd person singular verbs and
    nominal possessives.

    Spoken English is clearly more regular than written, especially
    regarding the rules for verbal inflections -- why is `exitting/exitted'
    incorrect vs `subitting/submitted'? The phonetics is easy, the
    orthography difficult..

>English nouns are divided (in a distinction no native speaer ever notices,
>but poor foreigners have to learn) into mass nouns and count nouns.
>Mass nouns are counted with counters; count nouns are counted with
>numbers.  Dish, glass, computer are count nouns.  However, you don't
>count one bread, two breads, three breads.  You count bread (or toast) with
>slices, milk with glasses, scissors (and shoes) with pairs, etc.

>One aspect of English that those whose native langauge lacks it find VERY
>hard to learn is the article.  When does a noun take no article, the
>definite article (the), or the indefinite article (a)?

    This difference (definite vs. indefinite) is not common to all
    languages, but it is nonetheless common enough that I'd hesitate to call
    it `unusual'. And it is deeper than just mass nouns vs count nouns;
    given our fixedness on singular vs plural, we treat plurals somewhat
    like (singular) nouns of quality or actions {I like (cats, scissors, salt,
    silliness)}.

    There are many other features in common among those cases
    where we'd say `an X' vs `the X', and they tend to be as categorizable
    as cases where most languages would disallow or allow the introduction
    of a new referent or compel anaphoric pronoun reference (eg: "There
    goes (John, A person). Isn't (he, THE person) quite visible?").

    Regardless of the rules of English regarding article usage, I believe
    that they are quite organized according to semantics. Admittedly, English
    rules are different from, say, French (which prefers definite articles
    before abstract nouns, for instance, where we do not).

>I never got around to taking Teaching English as a Second Language or I
>could probably write a book on the difficulties of English, both spoken
>and written, instead of merely the few paragraphs above.
>
>English spelling is NOT abominable.  It was, of course, rather more phonetic
>when it was set, back in the days that the distinction between the open
>and closed e had not disappeared and so was preserved by spelling one
>"ie" or "ee" and the other as "ea" (or so claimed my Linguistic professors).

     OK. It is our pronunciation that is insane. Repeat after me..

         cause	      COW - seh
	 preserve     preh - SAIR - veh
	 annihilate   ah - NEE - he - LAH - teh
	 etcetera     et - KEH - teh - ra

-        michael      MEE - kha - el

lambert@boring.UUCP (Lambert Meertens) (01/01/86)

Expires:
Sender: lambert@boring.UUCP (Lambert Meertens)
> As I undertand it, there IS a pattern that all creole languages (languages
> formed by a cross between two different languages) tend to fall into.   You
> could probably claim this pattern was objectively easy for human beings.
> I forget what the creole pattern is though.  Perhaps someone out there
> remembers.

The basic pattern of a creole sentence is

  SUBJECT + [ANT] + [IRR] + [DUR] + VERB

in which there are three optional markers (particles), making eight
combinations.  Although the particles (actual words) used as markers are
different for all creoles, the pattern is the same across languages.  As a
first approximation, think of ANT (for anterior tense) as marking the past.
The marker IRR (for irreal mode) is roughly the future.  Finally, DUR (for
durative, also known as nonpunctual) indicates ongoing activity and is
often not marked in English or corresponds to "to be ...ing"; the unmarked
version is usually marked in English with the perfect tense.  In Sranan
Tongo (spoken in Suriname):

  MI          WROKO   I have worked
  MI        E WROKO   I am working
  MI     SA   WROKO   I will work (or: I would work, if ...)
  MI     SA E WROKO   I will be working (or: I would ...)
  MI BEN      WROKO   I had worked
  MI BEN    E WROKO   I was (or: had been) working
  MI BEN SA   WROKO   I would have worked
  MI BEN SA E WROKO   I would have been working

Some verbs do double duty through the use of the DUR marker where English
needs two verbs:

  MI   WERI KROSI     I wear clothes
  MI E WERI KROSI     I don clothes

  MI        SIDON     I sit (am seated)
  MI      E SIDON     I sit down (am seating myself)

A complication is that some verbs are durative in meaning by themselves
(also known as stative) and do not admit of the DUR marker.  So

  MI          LOBI    I love (not: have loved)
  MI BEN      LOBI    I loved (or: have loved)

Adjectives can be used as verbs:

  MI          BIGI    I am big

It would seem that as a verb this is durative, but

  MI        E BIGI    I am getting big

(One would expect *MI E LOBI to mean: I am falling in love, but not so; it
is ungrammatical.)

Finally, where English uses "to be" as copula for a predicate that is a
noun phrase, Sranan uses a copula particle (A) that I would not consider a
verb:

  POTI A NO SJEN      Poverty is no shame

> In any case, the logically unnecessary features Ellis mentions
> (gender, etc.) are part of the necessary redundancy of a spoken language.
> English's pattern of adding -s to the third person singular is a redundant
> pattern too.  One of my Linguistics professors claimed that ALL languages
> ended up having the same degree of redundancy; apparently humans need it
> to decode voice input.

Speakers of creoles manage without such redundant features.  All words are
indeclinable; they do not get changed by their syntactic position or by
tense, number, gender, or anything else.  Also, the word order is
invariable.  In Sranan:

  WAN MAN E TAKI      One man is talking
  DRI MAN E TAKI      Three men are talking

     A PASA ESREDE    It happened yesterday
  FA A PASA?          How did it happen?

--

     Lambert Meertens