[net.nlang] Artificial Language

jack@rlgvax.UUCP (Jack Waugh) (01/05/86)

> A month or so ago, I asked for some information about the planetary
> languages, such as Esperanto.
. . .

See also Loglan (Scientific American, June, 1960).

Loglan is still being worked on by a few people.  When it Goes
Public Again, as it should any year now, it may be better than
Esperanto because of being based on more recent linguistics.

A nice feature of Loglan is its lack of distinction between
nouns, verbs, adjectives, and adverbs.  One part of speech --
the predicate word -- takes care of all these functions.  Since
I became acquainted with Loglan, the idea of distinguishing
between nouns and adjectives (which Esperanto seems to) in
artificial language seems superfluous to me.  In a recent article
here, someone gave an example context in a creole language where
an adjective or verb could be inserted.  That example encourages
the hope that grammatical distinctions among words with extrlingual
import (nouns, verbs, etc.) are not necessary.

Posters have said Esperanto is easy to learn.  Being easy to
learn was one of the original design goals of Loglan.  I hope
the next public version exhibits this desired ease.  I don't
know whether it will be as easy as Esperanto.

One of the ways Loglan tries to be easy to learn is by using
the eight most known natural languages as sources for sounds
for root words.  The proportion of people in the world who
know each contributing language determines the proportion of
that language's contribution to Loglan roots.  The two largest
contributors are Mandarin and English in that order.  I think
the vast majority of Loglan root words ("Loglan primitives",
i. e., predicate words that are not made from other Loglan
words) get their sounds from no other source than Mandarin and
English.

As an example of how I, an English-speaker with a little
French, can recognize natural language roots in a Loglan word
(thus making the word easier to remember), we have English
"green", French "vert", Loglan "vegri".  "I am greener than
you." -> "Mi na vegri tu".

Jack  (la Djek in Loglan)

urban@spp2.UUCP (Mike Urban) (01/06/86)

In article <886@rlgvax.UUCP> jack@rlgvax.UUCP (Jack Waugh) writes:
>> A month or so ago, I asked for some information about the planetary
>> languages, such as Esperanto.
>. . .
>
>See also Loglan (Scientific American, June, 1960).
>
>Loglan is still being worked on by a few people.  When it Goes
>Public Again, as it should any year now, it may be better than
>Esperanto because of being based on more recent linguistics.

I have studied both Loglan and Esperanto, and I think that
saying that Loglan is "better" than Esperanto is misleading.
The stated purpose for Esperanto is international
communication, simplicity of grammar, and recognition of
vocabulary.  The stated purpose for Loglan is to test the Whorf
hypothesis that language shapes thought.  Thus, it is
UNdesirable for Loglan to have a vocabulary that strongly
resembles any particular language (as Esperanto resembles the
Romance family), since that reduces the degree of isolation in
which the hypothesized Whorf effects can be studied.
Similarly, Esperanto contains many cases of lexical ambiguity
(also known as puns) because it was not considered worthwhile
to chase down every possible ambiguity, and because it allows
for certain modes of poetic expression.  Loglan, with its
expressed goal of being an unamibiguous, logical language,
cannot preserve this feature of "natural" language.

While Loglan's vocabulary may be "recognizable" (if you can
recognize "vegri" as "green"), its grammar is rather difficult
to learn directly, especially for speakers of Indo-european
languages.  To translate "I want to buy a car", you have to
first decide whether you mean "there exists an x such that x is
a car and I want to buy x" or "I want to buy one element of the
car class".  Even the stated example (mi na vegri tu) is not
the correct translation of what would usually be meant by "I am
greener than you", since the "timeless" tense (mi vegri tu)
is probably more appropriate than the present tense (I am
currently greener than you).  Not particularly easy or simple.

Finally, the (admittedly modest) success of Esperanto is a
demonstration that "a priori" considerations of "modern
linguistics" seem to be less important than an intuitive sense
of sound and meaning.  As J.R.R. Tolkien pointed out ("A Secret
Vice"), one of Esperanto's better features is that it was
designed by a single man, rather than a committee.  Later
attempts to improve on the Esperanto model according to "modern
linguistic" ideas (Ido, Interlingua, Novial, Interglossa...)
have been failures for this reason.  It sounds illogical, but
because Esperanto is, in part, a work of "art", it has a "soul"
that is lacking in the other projects.  Why this should be
important might make a useful area for study.  Actually,
there's a PhD dissertation on the Esperanto Movement from a
sociological perspective that I intend to read someday.

And just to clarify, I think that Loglan is an extremely
interesting language: the only language I know of that is
syntactically and lexically unambiguous and whose domain of
discourse is the real world.  Learning Loglan, I feel, *does*
allow one to expand the way one thinks about language and
thought, and I recommend it to people interested in language
and/or philosophy.  You really have to think about what you
mean when you say something in Loglan, and it'd be fun to try
to translate a bureaucrat's wordy jargon-filled memo into
Loglan!  So by all means, examine Loglan.  I just feel that it
is misleading to represent it as a "competitor" to Esperanto.
--

   Mike Urban
	{ucbvax|decvax}!trwrb!trwspp!spp2!urban

"You're in a maze of twisty UUCP connections, all alike"

goldberg@SU-Russell.ARPA (01/10/86)

In article <886@rlgvax.UUCP> jack@rlgvax.UUCP (Jack Waugh) writes:

>A nice feature of Loglan is its lack of distinction between
>nouns, verbs, adjectives, and adverbs.  One part of speech --
>the predicate word -- takes care of all these functions.  Since
>I became acquainted with Loglan, the idea of distinguishing
>between nouns and adjectives (which Esperanto seems to) in
>artificial language seems superfluous to me.  In a recent article
>here, someone gave an example context in a creole language where
>an adjective or verb could be inserted.  That example encourages
>the hope that grammatical distinctions among words with extrlingual
>import (nouns, verbs, etc.) are not necessary.
>
>Jack  (la Djek in Loglan)

There are languages in which the distinction between adjectives and
verbs, or adjectives and nouns is very fuzzy.  Some linguists argue
that in at least some of these languages the category Adjective doesn't
exist [R.M. W. Dixon, 1977. `Where have all the adjectives gone?'.
_Studies in Language_, I.19--80.].  Others disagree, but Dixon's case
is fairly strong.  There has been only one claim as far as I know of a
language that didn't distinguish nouns and verbs:  (Nootka by Sapir).
More recent work has called that claim into serious doubt.  The point
is simply that Loglan is appearenntly trying to do away with something
that is an intrinsic part of natural language.

Categories such as Noun and Verb are no accident in the languages of
the world, and while a language without the distinction might be easier
to learn, I suspect that it would be nearly impossible to use.

-jeff goldberg

--
Jeff Goldberg (best reached at GOLDBERG@SU-CSLI.ARPA)