[net.nlang] Briticisms

wmartin@brl-tgr.ARPA (Will Martin ) (12/17/85)

In article <974@lsuc.UUCP> msb@lsuc.UUCP (Mark Brader) writes:
>When I go to Britain I don't ask for the elevator, but the lift; I don't
>ask for the subway (which means something else), but the underground.

What does "subway" mean in Britain, then?

Also, I noticed this weekend, whilst listening to the BBC news describing
the ski-lift accident, that they used the word "ill" to refer to people
who had been injured in that accident. The context was in a phrase like
"the most seriously ill were taken by helicopter to Denver", or the
like. I believe that a USA-English-speaker would never use "ill" to refer
to people who had been injured, but use that term only if they were sick
from disease. "Hurt" or "injured" would be used instead.

Of course, there are many such usages which we have grown to expect --
the dropping of "the" so that people "go to hospital" instead of "going to
the hospital", and the reference to companies as plural ("Meridian have
come out with a new version of their compact disc player") which help us
distinguish British English from USA English. But I had never heard that
usage of "ill" before, so I thought I'd mention it. Any other "unusual"
Briticisms netlanders want to mention?

Will

rjw@ptsfc.UUCP (Rod Williams) (12/17/85)

>What does "subway" mean in Britain, then?

 It normally refers to an underground pedestrian passage - like one to
 get from one side of a busy street to another - or even to an
 Underground (Railway) Station (:-)). Incidentally, the Underground in
 London is familiarly referred to as The Tube.
--

 rod williams | {ihnp4,dual}!ptsfa!ptsfc!rjw
 pacific bell |  san ramon  |  california

cjh@petsd.UUCP (Chris Henrich) (12/17/85)

[]
In article <760@brl-tgr.ARPA> wmartin@brl-tgr.ARPA (Will Martin ) writes:
>What does "subway" mean in Britain, then?
>...  Any other "unusual"
>Briticisms netlanders want to mention?

In Britain, a "subway" is usually a passageway under the
street, for pedestrians.

My favorite transatlantic confuser is the distinction between
"in Maple Street" and "on Maple Street."  If I said to a
Briton "I live on Maple Street" he would have a momentary
vision of me pitching my tent atop the yellow line.  He would
say "I live in Windermere Crescent" (or whatever).  The
idiomatic distinction is precisely switched in the USA (I
think Canadian usage resembles that of the USA here).

Regards,
Chris

--
Full-Name:  Christopher J. Henrich
UUCP:       ...!hjuxa!petsd!cjh

roger@celtics.UUCP (Roger Klorese) (12/18/85)

In article <760@brl-tgr.ARPA> wmartin@brl-tgr.ARPA (Will Martin ) writes:
>In article <974@lsuc.UUCP> msb@lsuc.UUCP (Mark Brader) writes:
>>When I go to Britain I don't ask for the elevator, but the lift; I don't
>>ask for the subway (which means something else), but the underground.
>
>What does "subway" mean in Britain, then?

A subway is a tunnel under a street, in other words, an underpass.
--
 ... "What were you expecting, rock'n'roll?"

Roger B.A. Klorese
Celerity Computing, 40 Speen St., Framingham, MA 01701, (617) 872-1772
UUCP: seismo!harvard!bu-cs!celtics!roger
ARPA: celtics!roger@bu-cs.ARPA

marcus@wanginst.UUCP (Bob Marcus) (12/20/85)

>Any other "unusual" Briticisms netlanders want to mention?

These aren't Briticisms, but examples of things that are the opposite of
what we would expect:  Driving on the left isn't the only thing the British do
"backwards".  For one thing, the salt shaker is the one with only one hole;
the pepper shaker is the one with several.  You only make that mistake once.
Another is light switches:  down is generally "on", while up is "off".
There are many such anomalies, but as usual I can't think of them.  Can
anyone help?
--
Bob Marcus                               marcus@wanginst        (Csnet)
Wang Institute of Graduate Studies       wanginst!marcus        (UUCP)

iwm@icdoc.UUCP (Ian Moor) (01/09/86)

In article <760@brl-tgr.ARPA> wmartin@brl-tgr.ARPA (Will Martin ) writes:
>In article <974@lsuc.UUCP> msb@lsuc.UUCP (Mark Brader) writes:
>>When I go to Britain I don't ask for the elevator, but the lift; I don't
>>ask for the subway (which means something else), but the underground.
>
>What does "subway" mean in Britain, then?

A subway is  a buried passage for crossing a busy road; I wonder how many
Americans have followed "subway ->" signs, gone down the steps and looked
all over for the ticket machines. To confuse things further an Underground
station often acts as a subway, with entries on both sides of the street.

The thing that most often confuses me is
   British        American
  Shorts          (Bermuda) Shorts
  Pants           (Jockey) Shorts

Do Americans call trousers with short legs pants ? or just those with long
legs.

What does "outback" mean in the US ? I heard of one Australian who
told an American "Our Vicar wears only shorts when he visits the outback"
and got a very odd reaction.--
Ian W Moor
  UUCP: seismo!mcvax!ukc!icdoc!iwm
  ARPA: iwm%icdoc@ucl

 Department of Computing   Whereat a great and far-off voice was heard, saying,
 Imperial College.         Poop-poop-poopy, and it was even so; and the days
 180 Queensgate            of Poopy Panda were long in the land.
 London SW7 Uk.

kort@hounx.UUCP (B.KORT) (01/12/86)

I suspect the American interpreted the word "outback" as meaning
"outhouse", which is usually located out back.  In case the
term is obscure to the Eastern Hemisphere, an outhouse is a small
building used before the days of indoor plumbing and water closet.