[net.nlang] LOGLAN

mark@nsc-pdc.UUCP (Mark Nudelman) (07/11/85)

Does know of anyone currently doing work on Loglan, the
artificial language devised by James Cooke Brown?
Some years ago the Loglan Institute published a newletter
called, I believe, _Loglandia_.  Is it still being published,
and what is the address of the Loglan Institute (if it
still exists)?  Thanks in advance.

Please MAIL replies to me via USENET:

	Mark Nudelman			ihnp4!nsc!nsc-pdc!mark
	National Semiconductor		tektronix!reed!nsc-pdc!mark

wscott@joevax.UUCP (W. Scott Meeks) (07/12/85)

I am also interested in the current state of Loglan and would greatly
appreciate any information.  Mail can be sent to:

	ihnp4!joevax!wscott

Thank you.

jack@rlgvax.UUCP (Jack Waugh) (07/19/85)

THE LOGLAN INSTITUTE, INC.
1701 Northeast 75th Street
Gainesville, Fla.  32601
USA

Phone:  (904) 371-9574

sent me the following, dated 28 May 1985:

"Dear TL-Subscriber:

"You will not, I think, be very surprised to learn that  *The
Loglanist*  is going to disappear for a while.  In a sense in
already has.  Probably it won't appear regularly again  until
the 4th Edition of *Loglan 1* has actually been published and
we have a completely new learning kit ready to sell with  it.
So  when TL does come back it will probably be more newcomer-
oriented than before.

"But there's good news, too.  Our monthly newsletter *Lognet*
has  recently  become stronger.  So if you'd like to continue
to keep track of what is happening in Loglan, it  looks  lake
*Lognet*  is  a  good  bet for you now.  You may easily shift
your subscription over to it; and  it's  an  especially  good
time  to do that now.  The current *Lognet* probably has more
news about the language in it than it's ever carried  before;
and  the growing pains of the young corporation -- which once
occupied a good deal of LN's space -- appear to be over.  Two
new  Member-participation projects of potentially wide appeal
are just getting started, namely word-making and  translating
scientific  prose; and its new content strongly suggests that
*Lognet* is taking over TL's old role.

"For instance, here is the kind of thing you  can  expect  to
see over the next few months in *Lognet*:

     o    Descriptions of several "fast tracks" by which many
          natural words may be swiftly borrowed.
     o    The  handling  of   Linnean   binomials,   e.   g.,
          'Escherichia coli'.
     o    Some translation problems and their solutions.
     o    New or changed affix assignments.
     o    Announcements  of  the  availability  of  new word-
          lists.  E. g., all the new words  that  were  built
          during  1983's  'Shakedown  Cruise'  have  new been
          collated and listed, and will soon be available for
          distribution.   Later  lists  will  incorporate the
          scientific   vocabulary   now   coming    out    of
          Gainesville.
     o    Policy statements about 'when to borrow and when to
          mataphorize' and discussion of same.
     o    Proposed grammar changes and their discussion.
     o    Announcements of the availability of items  in  the
          new learning kit." . . .

"*Lognet*  is  still  a publication of the membership.  So to
get *Lognet* you need to be a Member.   But  dues  are  still
only  $25 a year, which is about $2 a copy if you figure that
most of what you get is *Lognet*.  Dues are  only  half  that
for students."

. . . "we like to get two years dues paid at once."

[paragraphs  about an article destined for CACM (arguing that
Loglan  is   syntactically   unambiguous),   translation   of
scientific texts underway, ongoing authorship of a program in
FORTH to do flashcard management, and other stuff]

The letter was signed "James Cooke Brown".

tmb@tardis.UUCP (Thomas M. Breuel) (01/08/86)

Does anyone have more recent references on LOGLAN than the 1960
Scientific American article?

From what I read, the language did not strike me as too well designed.
Among other things, the authors didn't seem to know whether they wanted
to create a language that is easy to learn or that is expressive in
certain respects. Nevertheless, I would like to see a more detailed
description of it, and I would like to know what ever became of it.

						Thanks,
						Thomas.

cdsm@icdoc.UUCP (Chris Moss) (01/13/86)

In article <10128@tardis.UUCP> tmb@tardis.UUCP (Thomas M. Breuel) writes:
>Does anyone have more recent references on LOGLAN than the 1960
>Scientific American article?

There are several books by J.C. Brown published by the Loglan Institute.
at Ann Arbor. The two I have immediate reference to are "Loglan 1", 1966
(a grammar) and Loglan 4 & 5 (1969) Dictionary.

>From what I read, the language did not strike me as too well designed.

With hindsight I agree. I got a couple of students here to do dissertations
on it around 1980; they didn't do too well and it wasn't all their
fault (or all mine). The last I heard from the Loglan conference was
that nobody had yet learned to *speak* Loglan and that seems pretty
damning. Things may have changed but I doubt it.

Incidentally, has anyone opinions about the Esperanto project which is
part of the Eurotra project. (Book called "Distributed Language
Translation" by A. Witkam - BSO Utrecht 1983). He attempts to avoid
ambiguities in the syntax by markings not unlike Russell's original
scheme for Logic. It's designed as the intermediate language for the
multi-language translation project, with interactive disambiguation.
He doesn't seem to have paid much attention to semantic ambiguities.