[net.nlang] Double sentences

tmoody@sjuvax.UUCP (T. Moody) (01/13/86)

	The horse flies fast when the horse flies fast.

_______
Is there a name for this sort of construction, and does anybody
know any other examples of it?

Todd Moody                 |  {allegra|astrovax|bpa|burdvax}!sjuvax!tmoody
Philosophy Department      |
St. Joseph's U.            |         "I couldn't fail to
Philadelphia, PA   19131   |          disagree with you less."

jankok@zuring.UUCP (Jan Kok) (01/17/86)

In article <2705@sjuvax.UUCP> tmoody@sjuvax.UUCP (T. Moody) writes:

>	The horse flies fast when the horse flies fast.
>
>_______
>Is there a name for this sort of construction, and does anybody
>know any other examples of it?

This is in line with Hofstadter (GEB)'s

    Politicians lie in cast-iron sinks.
    Politicians lie, cast-iron sinks.

( A variant is the Dutch : de boer had een varken
    en de moeder van de boer was ook de vader van het varken.)
--
jan kok, cwi (afd. nw), amsterdam, nederland
UUCP: {seismo, decvax, philabs, okstate, garfield}!mcvax!zuring!jankok

CJC@PSUVM.BITNET (01/21/86)

In article <2705@sjuvax.UUCP> tmoody@sjuvax.UUCP (T. Moody) writes:

>       The horse flies fast when the horse flies fast.
>
>_______
>Is there a name for this sort of construction, and does anybody
>know any other examples of it?

A friend had a book entitled "What is the Name of This Book"; among other
kinds of word games/puzzles/curiosities there was a chapter on what the
author called "quines" (I think) - sentences which contain themselves.
Example: ""Is the Name of This Book" is the name of this book"
(meaning this book is entitled "Is the ...")
I don't think this is exactly what you were asking about but it's as good
as any other suggestion I've seen here yet.

                                         --Carolyn J. Clark

     Bitnet: CJC at PSUVM
     UUCP  : :allegra, akgua, ihnp4:!psuvax!CJC@PSUVM.BITNET

darryl@ism780c.UUCP (Darryl Richman) (01/24/86)

Quines are discussed in Douglas Hofstadter's classic "Goedel, Escher, Bach:
An Eternal Golden Braid".

	    --Darryl Richman, INTERACTIVE Systems Corp.
	    ...!cca!ima!ism780!darryl
	    The views expressed above are my opinions only.