[net.nlang] The term "Native Americans"

jbuck@epimass.UUCP (Joe Buck) (02/15/86)

In article <11863@ucbvax.BERKELEY.EDU> weemba@brahms.UUCP (Matthew P. Wiener) writes:
>In article <406@3comvax.UUCP> michaelm@3comvax.UUCP (Michael McNeil) writes:
>>As far as I'm able to recollect from my memory of the program, Alaskan
>>Eskimos do not find this name offensive.  Can someone with more direct
>>knowledge of the Eskimo in contemporary Alaska shed more light on this?
>
>A friend was at the University of Alaska one year.  He told me they called
>them Native Americans in all official University material.

I am also a native American, as is anyone born in this country.  This term is
currently popular the way you use it, but it is inaccurate.  Even if we
change the meaning of the word "native" to refer to people whose ancestors
were born in a place, the people here before the arrival of Europeans did not
originate here either; they came from Asia, relatively recently compared to
how long the human race has been around.

--
- Joe Buck <ihnp4!pesnta!epimass!jbuck>

Better to be silent and thought a pig than to oink and remove all doubt.