[net.nlang] Goedel

breuel@h-sc1.UUCP (thomas breuel) (01/29/86)

By the way, the correct spelling of Goedel is 'Goedel', not 'Godel'.
The umlaut in German writing is best transliterated by the corresponding
vowel followed by an 'e'. The German sharp-s (the thing which looks
like a beta) is *best* transliterated by 'sz', but *most commonly* it
is written as an 'ss'.  Umlaute and sharp-s's are simply handwritten
abbreviations for the letter combinations, and, unfortunately, these
found their way into the printed language (the two dots are
a contracted Suetterlin script 'e'). Therefore, dropping
the two dots can lead to bizarre changes in meaning and connotations --
just like dropping letters in English words isn't a good idea...

						Thomas.

weemba@brahms.BERKELEY.EDU (Matthew P. Wiener) (02/17/86)

In article <893@h-sc1.UUCP> breuel@h-sc1.UUCP (thomas breuel) writes:
>By the way, the correct spelling of Goedel is 'Goedel', not 'Godel'.
>The umlaut in German writing is best transliterated by the corresponding
>vowel followed by an 'e'.
>[explanation deleted]

I am aware that o-umlaut == oe in German.  But this is English, and things
get lost anyway.  'Goedel' looks too ugly to me, and I will stick with the
less accurate 'Godel'.  (On the other hand, 'Schroedinger' seems perfectly
normal to me, so I don't mind using it.)  (Perhaps because I am a logician
I have seen a lot of people leave the umlauts off out of sloppiness, so of
course 'Godel' looks tolerable?  I don't know.)

ucbvax!brahms!weemba	Matthew P Wiener/UCB Math Dept/Berkeley CA 94720