[net.nlang] Easy languages

ellis@spar.UUCP (Michael Ellis) (12/24/85)

>>Seriously. The English language, which is considered one of the easiest
>>languages in the world... - Mike Maxwell
>Says who???  Seriously, how can you quantify that?  By making studies of
>lots of native speakers of languages X1, X2, X3... trying to learn
>languages Y1, Y2, Y3...English, where {X1, X2, X3...Y1, Y2, Y3...English}
>are all unrelated languages?  I doubt whether anyone has ever done that.
>(Same comment for those who say, as I have often heard said, that English
>is a very hard language.) - Thomas Breuel

    I think there are many criteria by which a language can be judged `easy'
    or `difficult' to learn. Is the written representation logical?  If
    there are inflections, are there a large number of inflectional
    categories or only a few? Are there many exceptions?  Does the language
    carry `excess baggage', like grammatical gender, or nominal classifiers?
    Are logical relations transparently represented in the form of the
    language?

    Artificial languages, like Loglan or Esperanto, for example, are
    genuinely `easy' languages according to all of the criteria above,
    although no doubt they seem more natural to europeans than they
    would to anyone else.

    Except for Chinese and (formal) Japanese, English is clearly one of the
    most difficult languages to write. Our spelling is quite abominable;
    in its defense, the orthography of the international european wordstock
    is preserved at the cost of uncertainty about pronunciation. This
    may provide some clue to the foreigner as to the meaning of new
    vocabulary.

    However, I think that we must conclude spoken English IS easy with
    respect to most of the other criteria.

    English nouns are very simple indeed -- the vast majority are of a
    single type (plural in -s); we have neither gender, nor classifiers.

    Our verbs admit more complexity, but even the few irregular ones are
    still simpler with 3 stems {see(-s,-ing), saw, seen} than any
    european language I know. Most astonishing is the huge number
    of aspects/moods/tenses that can be generated from the
    single Chomskian formula:

    	    VP => Tense + (Modal) + (HAVE + EN) + (BE + ING) + VERB

    We might also judge a difficulty of a language according to phonetic
    peculiarities relative to the world languages. For example, the central
    vowels in French or German are more likely to present difficulty than
    the 5 cardinal vowels in Japanese or Greek.  The opposition between
    palatized and nonpalatized consonants in Slavic or Gaelic are also
    likely to cause difficulties. The tones in Chinese or Thai can be a
    particularly difficult obstacle for those whose native languages lack
    such features.

    English, with 7 vowels, 7 diphthongs, a strong emphasis on the major
    syllable (with all others approaching schwa), and a propensity for
    closing open syllables, is a bit unusual. I suspect our initial and
    final consonant clusters (as in `strengths') are problematic for most
    newcomers, as are the initial sounds of {the, thin, at, up}. Nonetheless,
    I do not think these qualities are any more unusual than say, vowel
    harmony in Turkish.

    I have heard that the slavic languages are, in fact, particularly
    difficult for even native children to learn, requiring an extra year
    before children have to proficiency to enter public schools. I can
    testify as to the enormous difficulty of Russian/Polish nouns -- there
    are many different nominal inflexions and declensional categories! I
    found Latin and Greek nouns much simpler in contrast.

-michael

neal@druhi.UUCP (Neal D. McBurnett) (12/27/85)

> English has 7 vowels and 7 diphthongs

There are certainly many ways of counting, but I think it is closer
to 12 vowels and 8 diphthongs, at least with my accent:
	bean, bin, Ben, ban, bun, barn, Bonn, born, burn, boon, good, banana
	say, no, fly, how, fear, care, poor.

At some Esperanto conferences in Germany and Hungary last summer, I had
very little difficulty with the variations in Esperanto accent among
speakers from, e.g., France, Germany, Hungary, Bulgaria, and China.
The letter with the most variation was "r".

I had much more difficulty with the variation in English accent
among English speakers from England, Austrialia and the southern US.
I attribute this mostly to the relative simplicity of the vowel system in
Esperanto (which has the same five vowels as Spanish, Serbo-Croatian,
Japanese, and many other languages).

-Neal McBurnett, ihnp4!druny!neal

ellis@spar.UUCP (Michael Ellis) (12/31/85)

> = Neal McBurnett

>> English has 7 vowels and 7 diphthongs
>
>There are certainly many ways of counting, but I think it is closer
>to 12 vowels and 8 diphthongs, at least with my accent:
>	bean, bin, Ben, ban, bun, barn, Bonn, born, burn, boon, good, banana
>	say, no, fly, how, fear, care, poor.

    There are indeed many ways of counting. I'd arrange those words
    according to their vowels as below:

        pure    +y     +w    +r

    i	bin     bean   -     *beer
    e   Ben     say    -      care
    ae  ban	-      how    -
    aa  bun     -      -     (burn)
    ao +bond    fly    -      barn
    o  +pawn   *boy    no     born
    u   good    -      boon   poor

Notes:
    (+) `Bonn', as a German name, is pronounced in a variety of ways,
        sometimes more like `pawn', other times more like `bond'. These
	are clearly two different phonemes in most English speech I hear.
	Some minimal pairs: tot/taut, bottom/bought'em, are/or, doll/tall
    (*) `boy' and `beer' seem to be omitted in your list.
    (1) Due to ascii lossage, the digraphs /ae,aa,ao/ are employed here
        to represent `pure' vocalic sounds in most english I have heard.
    (2) /ur/ (usually spelled `oor') has dubious ontological status,
        and is often (usually?) indistinguishable from /or/. This confusion
	could be brain damage on my part.
    (3) The sounds /iy,uw,aar/ (bean,boon,burn) are arguably `pure long'
        vowels. There is no question that, if they are considered to be
	compound sounds, the preceding vowel is modified considerably
	from its pure sound.

    In most american english dialects (especially that heard on TV),
    postvocalic /r/ (as in barn, care..) is a retroflex glide that is quite
    distinct from the preceding vowel. Should I count vowel + /r/ as
    a diphthong? If so, why stop there? Why not also count vowel + /l/
    as well? Not to mention vowel + /n,m,z,k.../?

    Anyway, if I exclude the r-compunds, I count a total of 7 vowels
    and 7 diphthongs, excluding unaccented schwa(s).

    If /iy,uw/ are pure vowels, the total is 9+5; adding /aar/ as pure
    and 5 r-compounds, the total is 10+10, a sum which equals your 20.

    British english and certain eastern american dialects differ from the
    above scheme somewhat, since the final-r's either form schwa-diphthongs,
    or result in compensatory vowel lengthening (I have heard that this is a
    later development that occurred after the colonial period).  There is
    also considerable divergence in the vowels of (pawn,pond,pan/path) from
    the dialects I am familiar with.

    I suspect that my /ar,or/ => /a:,o:/ in your speech (whereas /ir,ur,er/
    => /i0,u0,e0/ (where /0/ represents `a' in sofa)). This would transfer
    two more r-compounds into the pure category, thus redistributing 10+10
    => 12+8, in perfect agreement with your count.  Do you have a british or
    east-coast american accent?

-michael

mac@uvacs.UUCP (Alex Colvin) (01/02/86)

Would you consider a pure vocalic /r/ from "bird"?

michaelm@bcsaic.UUCP (michael b maxwell) (01/08/86)

In article <718@spar.UUCP> ellis@spar.UUCP (Michael Ellis) writes:
>>>Seriously. The English language, which is considered one of the easiest
>>>languages in the world... - Mike Maxwell
>>Says who???  Seriously, how can you quantify that?  By making studies of
>>lots of native speakers of languages X1, X2, X3... trying to learn
>>languages Y1, Y2, Y3...English, where {X1, X2, X3...Y1, Y2, Y3...English}
>>are all unrelated languages?  I doubt whether anyone has ever done that.
>>(Same comment for those who say, as I have often heard said, that English
>>is a very hard language.) - Thomas Breuel
!Please! You mixed us up.  The *second* quote is mine (Maxwell), and (I
assume) the first is Breuel's!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
>    I think there are many criteria by which a language can be judged `easy'
>    or `difficult' to learn. Is the written representation logical?  If
>    there are inflections, are there a large number of inflectional
>    categories or only a few? Are there many exceptions?  Does the language
>    carry `excess baggage', like grammatical gender, or nominal classifiers?
>    Are logical relations transparently represented in the form of the
>    language?
>
>    Artificial languages, like Loglan or Esperanto, for example, are
>    genuinely `easy' languages according to all of the criteria above,
>    although no doubt they seem more natural to europeans than they
>    would to anyone else.
[followed by a list of reasons why English, Chinese, Japanese, French,
German, Slavic, Gaelic, Thai, Turkish, Russian, Polish, Latin, and Greek each
present different difficulties wrt writing, pronunciation, irregularities,
multiple conjugations and declensions, etc.]

You're proving what I'm saying!  Each language has its own peculiarities (and
I fear I'm proving how peculiar English spelling is :-).  Some of those
pecularities may be problems for native speakers of some languages (e.g.
tone), but not for speakers of others.  That's why I said any study hoping to
prove that language X was more difficult (for adult learners, which was what
the original posting was about) than language Y would have to take large
numbers of native speakers of languages A,B,C... and teach them X and Y under
controlled conditions.  I seriously doubt whether this has ever been done.

Furthermore, who can say whether irregular verbs are more of a problem for
native speakers of language A learning language X than unusual syntax?
I find syntax and phonology easy in second language learning,
irregularities more difficult, and vocabulary a drag.  Other native speakers
of English have different easy/hard ratings.  At best you might come up with a
statistical results: 43% of the speakers of A found X harder than Y, 37% found
Y harder than X, and the rest found both equally hard.  And that assumes
you can come up with some kind of criteria for judging language acquisition
that is equitable for both X and Y (not an easy task).

As for such excess baggage as grammatical gender, one might make a case for
the usefulness of such "baggage"--e.g. in disambiguating antecedents of
pronouns, etc.  You might say that this has no relationship to the difficulty
of learning the language, and you might be right, but maybe not...  What about
the redundancy such "excesses" provide?

And of course man-made languages are supposed to be easier, but as you say,
this is likely to be true only for speakers of languages cognate to the
native language(s) of the designers of the artificial language.

A different question, and one you allude to, is the ease of first learning.
Here again, I fear that most evidence for the relative difficulty of learning
language X is anecdotal.  What would be meant by the claim that children
learn language X faster than children learning language Y?  That they learn
vocabulary, pronunciation, grammar, semantics, ...?  They probably progress
faster in language X in one area, and slower in another.  How does that give
you an index of accomplishment?  My three-year old son handles relative
clauses quite well in English, but insists that the first person singular
nominative pronoun is "my."  ("My wanna go to the store that my went to
yesterday!")  A mystery: can we really say that relative clauses are easier
in English than getting case right on the subject pronoun?  It's certainly
more complex!  Of course, we're wired to get syntax right...  BTW, one of the
early studies of language acquisition in older children was done by Carol
Chomsky in the early '60s (yes, Noam's wife).  And no, I don't believe she did
any comparisons with children learning other languages; but you might be
surprised what they didn't know...
--
Mike Maxwell
Boeing Artificial Intelligence Center

tmb@tardis.UUCP (Thomas M. Breuel) (01/12/86)

|||Says who???  Seriously, how can you quantify that?  By making studies of
|||[Mike Maxell]
|
|Please! You mixed us up.  The *second* quote is mine (Maxwell), and (I
|
||I think there are many criteria by which a language can be judged `easy'
|
|You're proving what I'm saying!  Each language has its own peculiarities (and
|I fear I'm proving how peculiar English spelling is :-).  Some of those

I am tired of being quoted out of context. My argument was precicely
the same that Mike made, namely that every language has its own
peculiarities, and that therefore Japanese is, on the whole, not
any harder or easier to learn well than English or German.

Even in English, which unfortunately lacks a lot of the necessary
grammatical machinery, it should be clear from the quoted sentence
above, that the statement 'English is easy' is not a statement that
I made, but a statement that I have commonly heard. Probably I should
have said 'which is *often* considered...' to make this point
absolutely clear. I then went on to discuss why people might get the
impression that English is easier than other languages and
discussed why that impression is probably unrealistic.

Now, if you want to discuss any more whether some languages are
easier to learn or speak than others, don't quote me as someone
who argues that English is easier than other languages.

						Thomas.

ellis@spar.UUCP (Michael Ellis) (01/13/86)

>Even in English, which unfortunately lacks a lot of the necessary
>grammatical machinery, ... - Thomas

    What necessary machinery does English lack?

    Grammatical gender? Declension? Nominal classifiers?
    Polite 2nd person pronouns? Adjective inflections?

    English does quite well without such cruft!

-michael

donn@utah-gr.UUCP (Donn Seeley) (01/14/86)

English is definitely the easiest language.  I'm surprised that this
isn't obvious to everyone; it's simply incontestable that English is
the only language which is perfectly suited to typewriter keyboards.

As for spoken language, it has been proven that English is the easiest
language because all other languages are derived from it.  This was
demonstrated in the '60s by Noam Chomsky and the MIT group of linguists.

And if that isn't enough, LADs come with English instructions,

Donn Seeley    University of Utah CS Dept    donn@utah-cs.arpa
40 46' 6"N 111 50' 34"W    (801) 581-5668    decvax!utah-cs!donn

PS -- Does this really need a smiley face?

radzy@calma.UUCP (Tim Radzykewycz) (01/18/86)

In article <771@spar.UUCP> ellis@spar.UUCP (Michael Ellis) writes:
>>Even in English, which unfortunately lacks a lot of the necessary
>>grammatical machinery, ... - Thomas

>    What necessary machinery does English lack?

(-: (-: (-: (-: (-: (-: (-: (-: (-: (-: (-: (-:

I'd love to let you know what necessary machinery English lacks,
but unfortunately, I'm unable, since the machinery in question
is *necessary*, and this discussion is, of course, in English.

How about:
English fehlt einige gewichte Sachen, sowie ....

:-) :-) :-) :-) :-) :-) :-) :-) :-) :-) :-) :-)

How could English *possibly* lack something necessary and still
be in use?  Perhaps "Thomas" should rephrase his statement, or
maybe try thinking before posting.

(-: "type 'Pnews', insert foot" :-)
--
Tim (radzy) Radzykewycz, The Incredible Radical Cabbage.
	calma!radzy@ucbvax.ARPA

breuel@h-sc1.UUCP (thomas breuel) (01/20/86)

|||Even in English, which unfortunately lacks a lot of the necessary
|||grammatical machinery, ... - Thomas
|
||    What necessary machinery does English lack?
|
|English fehlt einige gewichte Sachen, sowie ....
|
|How could English *possibly* lack something necessary and still
|be in use?  Perhaps "Thomas" should rephrase his statement, or
|maybe try thinking before posting.

Maybe you can recognise a joke when you see one?
[By the way, the main, no, the only, point of that posting
was that I kept being quoted out of context...]

But to explain in more detail why every now and then I make
annoying little remarks about the English language:

English grammar has been simplified a lot as compared to, say,
German grammar. The English language has simply evolved other
(non-grammatical) means for expressing concepts for which
a German speaker would use grammar. One of these non-grammatical
means is, I would postulate, the immense vocabulary that the
English language has evolved over the centuries.

Now, is there anything wrong with that? Nothing.
Except, that a few aspects of the relationship between
the Americans and 'their' language invite ridicule.
Among those aspects are the obsession with simple
sentence structures, simple grammatical constructs,
and the constant quest for the 'right' word which is,
preferably, either very Germanic or very Romance, depending
on the English instructor in question.

Nowhere else have I seen such a proliferation of
writing manuals, thesauruses, vocabulary cards, and
dictionaries than among high-school and college students
in America. Together with the American attitudes that
the English literature is, of course, the most important
in the world and that everybody in the world is speaking --
or at least ought to speak -- the crown of languages,
this just invites teasing.

					Thomas.

soren@olamb.UUCP (Soeren Rabbe) (01/20/86)

[ I don't believe in line eat....... ]

In Article <1651@utah-gr.UUCP> Donn Seeley writes:
> English is definitely the easiest language.  I'm surprised that this
> isn't obvious to everyone; it's simply incontestable that English is
> the only language which is perfectly suited to typewriter keyboards.

This is a new expirence for me.

To my knowledge, the layout of the typewriter keyboard was made in
the days of the manually devices (do you remember these). The main
objective of the design was to *slow down* the typing process as
these devices could not follow the faster typists.

This problem is now obsolete as the devices of today have the necessary
speed. This is also why a lot of discussions are going on about
redesigning the keyboards to suit the language better; e.g., by
placing the most used letters in a more convenient place.

      Soren Rabbe    -->  from the country of the typewriter inventor:

                                   DENMARK.

steiny@scc.UUCP (Don Steiny) (01/21/86)

In article <879@h-sc1.UUCP>, breuel@h-sc1.UUCP (thomas breuel) writes:

> English grammar has been simplified a lot as compared to, say,
> German grammar. The English language has simply evolved other
> (non-grammatical) means for expressing concepts for which
> a German speaker would use grammar. One of these non-grammatical
> means is, I would postulate, the immense vocabulary that the
> English language has evolved over the centuries.

	You are kidding, right?   That is why it is good idea to use
smiley faces with jokes if the could be interpreted as serious
statements.

	1) Vocabulary (the lexicon of a language) is part of its
	   grammar.

	2) English expresses reltionships like "subject," "object,"
	   and so on by word order and not inflections like German
	   does.   How could you say that simplifies the grammar?
	   Even stranger is your claim that it is "non-grammatical."
	   I have found it is easier to write parsers for inflected
	   languages than for ones that depend on word order to
	   express grammatical relationships (like English and Chinese).

--
scc!steiny
Don Steiny @ Don Steiny Software

michaelm@bcsaic.UUCP (michael b maxwell) (01/22/86)

In article <879@h-sc1.UUCP> breuel@h-sc1.UUCP (thomas breuel) writes:
>English grammar has been simplified a lot as compared to, say,
>German grammar.
Can you explain what you mean?  What's left out?
--

mac@uvacs.UUCP (01/28/86)

> ||    What necessary machinery does English lack?

Infinitives for the auxiliary verbs (can, will, &c.).

You have to use circumlocutions (to be able to, to be going to, ...) or bad
grammer (might could, ...).

agrawal@csd2.UUCP (Try m/c ACF6) (02/11/86)

>English is definitely the easiest language.  I'm surprised that this
>isn't obvious to everyone; it's simply incontestable that English is
>the only language which is perfectly suited to typewriter keyboards.
>
>As for spoken language, it has been proven that English is the easiest
>language because all other languages are derived from it.  This was
>
>Donn Seeley    University of Utah CS Dept    donn@utah-cs.arpa
>40 46' 6"N 111 50' 34"W    (801) 581-5668    decvax!utah-cs!donn

	I am surprised to find that people think that English is the
easiest language to learn. I guess it is because that is what is spoken
in the US and children are always listening to it.
	Also most European Languages are derived from English and have
a large number of words from common roots. Even many Esparanto words seem
to be having European roots.

	However, I beleive that Indians have extraordinary
difficulty in learning English if they are not taught it from childhood.
It is because of the extremely non phonetic nature of English whereas
most Indian Languages are phonetic in nature.
	When we start learning and start with the simple words,
we immediately get confused on thef pronounciation of words like
<put,but>,<no,know>,<now,know>...

			Mukul Agrawal
			agrawal@csd2

halle@hou2b.UUCP (J.HALLE) (02/12/86)

Most European languages are derived from English?  What pipe are you smoking?

English may have infiltrated in Europe, but it is really more the other way
around.  Spoken English is primarily of Germanic origin, and the Germanic
languages in Europe are older.  English also has roots in the Romance
languages, but these occurred after 1066.  And much of Europe speaks languages
that are of yet other origins.  In fact, the only European country that speaks
a language that can even remotely be said to have been derived from English
is Great Brittain.

tjsmedley@watmum.UUCP (Trevor J. Smedley) (02/12/86)

>>As for spoken language, it has been proven that English is the easiest
>>language because all other languages are derived from it.
                   ^^^
>	Also most European Languages are derived from English and have
>a large number of words from common roots.

All other languages? Most European languages?

"All other languages" is simply false. Chinese, Russian, Finnish and
Hungarian certainly are not derived from English.

As for "Most European languages", I am no expert, but I was under the
impression that there were no languages *derived* from English, except,
perhaps, Esperanto to a certain extent. I would find it very hard to
believe that any one of German, French or Italian was derived from
English. They all have some roots in common, but to say that any one
is derived from any other seems rather unlikely.

In any case, this would not be an argument for English being the
easiest language. Using this argument, you would have to say that
Latin is easier than Italian, or that Icelandic is the easiest of the
Scandinavian languages, and I doubt that anyone would agree with that.

If you said that English was easy for many people because it takes
things from a wide variety of languages and language types, well, I
might agree with that.

Trevor J. Smedley                    University of Waterloo

{decvax,allegra,ihnp4,utzoo}!watmum!tjsmedley

tombre@crin.UUCP (Karl Tombre) (02/13/86)

>>English is definitely the easiest language.  I'm surprised that this
>>isn't obvious to everyone; it's simply incontestable that English is
>>the only language which is perfectly suited to typewriter keyboards.

???? I really hope you are joking! Of course english is the only language
perfectly suited to ENGLISH typewriter keyboards!!!

>>As for spoken language, it has been proven that English is the easiest
>>language because all other languages are derived from it.

Again I wonder! This must be a joke! English is a very mixed language
derived from german, latin, french, scandinavian and saxon roots!!!

>	Also most European Languages are derived from English and have
>a large number of words from common roots.

!!!??? Well sincerely, gentlemen, tell me, am I too stupid to understand a
joke? It seems to me that both of you are serious??? OK, there are common
roots in many european languages, but those roots are not english!!!

English language has many origins. Consider those examples:

- words like "table", "observation", "principle" and so on have latin or even
  french roots.

- words like "room", "follow" ... are more typically german

- other words have specifically scandinavian origins: "husband", "town",
  "garden" ...

This is obviously due to many historical reasons (the history of England
through all centuries, also before America was (re)discovered by Columbus!

--
--- Karl Tombre @ CRIN (Centre de Recherche en Informatique de Nancy)
UUCP:    ...!vmucnam!crin!tombre  or    ...!inria!crin!tombre

Les plus desesperes sont les chants les plus beaux,
Et j'en sais d'immortels qui sont de purs sanglots.

       Alfred de Musset.

steiny@scc.UUCP (Don Steiny) (02/14/86)

In article <402@watmum.UUCP>, tjsmedley@watmum.UUCP (Trevor J. Smedley) writes:
> >>As for spoken language, it has been proven that English is the easiest
> >>language because all other languages are derived from it.
>                    ^^^
> >	Also most European Languages are derived from English and have
> >a large number of words from common roots.
>
> All other languages? Most European languages?
>
> "All other languages" is simply false. Chinese, Russian, Finnish and
> Hungarian certainly are not derived from English.

	I hope that this nonsense does not continue to propogate.
The original posting was a joke about transformational grammar and
the author stated that it was a joke in the posting.  Someone took
him seriously and now more people are.

	The original posting joked that all languages were derived
from English because Noam Chomsky did his original work on TG on
English and postualted a structure (S => NP VP) for all languages.
Some papers (Pullum) have shown that this is not universal.   The
author of the original posting is a competent linguist and was
commenting on chauvinism, not suggesting that all languages
were derived from English.

--

mac@uvacs.UUCP (Alex Colvin) (02/16/86)

> >>As for spoken language, it has been proven that English is the easiest
> >>language because all other languages are derived from it.

Please! This is clearly a :-)

mmar@sphinx.UChicago.UUCP (Mitchell Marks) (02/16/86)

As Don Steiny points out, those familiar with the generative grammar scene
might well conclude that all languages derive from English, or at least
that Universal Grammar _resembles_ English grammar.  Now an important news
flash:  a group of Native American languages have now been shown to be
genetically related to the Indo European family, on classic philological
grounds.  ---
    The English word for `house made out of ice' is "igloo".
    And the Eskimo word for the same thing is 'illu'.
     (Using conventional orthography in both cases.  The "ll" is an
      unvoiced lateral.)
    The English word for `small boat made of animal skins stretched over a
     structural frame of local materials' is "kayak".
    And the Eskimo word for the same thing is "kayak" or "kayaq".

This discovery should be credited to Jerry Sadock, who also has developed
the following radical simplification of Government and Binding theory:

'Phrase structure' component:   w*
(i.e., any number of words).
Transformation:     move-alpha
(as in usual GB)
Surface filter:     the gamma criterion
where the gamma criterion filters out all sentences except those grammatical
in English.
   A question from the audience asked Sadock to explain, under his theory,
why "Jean a vu Marie" was considered an acceptable sentence (in French).
He pointed out that people in France have slightly different phonological
adjustment rules, and the example sentence passes the gamma criterion
because "John has viewed Mary" is a grammatical sentence of English.
--

            -- Mitch Marks @ UChicago
               ...ihnp4!gargoyle!sphinx!mmar

wyatt@cfa.UUCP (Bill Wyatt) (02/17/86)

> >>As for spoken language, it has been proven that English is the easiest
> >>language because all other languages are derived from it.

[ mass quantities of flames from various authors about this statement ]

Come on now! Isn't there *anyone* out there who has a sense of humor? Did
Donn Seeley have to bracket his entire article in smiley faces to prevent
people from taking this seriously?

--

Bill    UUCP:  {seismo|ihnp4|cmcl2}!harvard!talcott!cfa!wyatt
Wyatt   ARPA:  wyatt%cfa.UUCP@harvard.HARVARD.EDU

christer@kuling.UUCP (02/17/86)

In article <144@crin.UUCP> of Sat, 15-Feb-86 04:24:49 GMT
tombre@crin.UUCP (Karl Tombre) writes:

> OK, there are common
>roots in many european languages,
>
>- other words have specifically scandinavian origins: "husband", "town",
>  "garden" ...

What is the origin of "town"? The origins of 'husband' and 'garden' are obvious
(at least if you speak a scandinavian language.)
--
SMail: Christer Johansson  UUCP:  {seismo,seismo!mcvax}!enea!kuling!christer OR
       Sernandersv. 9:136         christer@kuling.UUCP

goldberg@SU-Russell.ARPA (Jeffrey Goldberg) (02/17/86)

In article <632@scc.UUCP> steiny@scc.UUCP (Don Steiny) writes:

>	I hope that this nonsense does not continue to propogate.
>The original posting was a joke about transformational grammar and
>the author stated that it was a joke in the posting.  Someone took
>him seriously and now more people are.
>
>	The original posting joked that all languages were derived
>from English because Noam Chomsky did his original work on TG on
>English and postualted a structure (S => NP VP) for all languages.
>Some papers (Pullum) have shown that this is not universal.   The
>author of the original posting is a competent linguist and was
>commenting on chauvinism, not suggesting that all languages
>were derived from English.
>
>--
>scc!steiny
>Don Steiny @ Don Steiny Software
>109 Torrey Pine Terrace
>Santa Cruz, Calif. 95060
>(408) 425-0382

There was a later posting that didn't look like a joke.

Anyway, it is is clear that the "Universal Base Hypothesis" has been
rejected as either silly or having no consequence (utterly
unfalsifyable), and while this is the opinion that is expressed by
Pullum he is not to be given the credit for showing the problems with
the UBH.  Peters and Rithie (1969) ["A note on the UBH" J of Ling, 5]
should be given the credit.  Notice that 1969 was a long time ago, and
generative linguistics may have grown up a little bit since then.
Nonetheless, there is a joke.

For the sake of the joke please assume that 1 is a prime number.

A man who is ignorent of such things has heard the conjecture that all
odd numbers are prime.  He goes and asks a mathematician if this is
true.  To which she responds, "Well, one is prime, 3 is prime, 5 is
prime, 7 is prime, 9 is not prime.  The conjecture is proved false by
counterexample."

Our hero isn't satisfied because he knows that mathematicians have
their heads in the clouds and aren't tied down to reality.  So he asks
the physical chemist who has to actually do lots of calculations.  The
chemist says, "One is prime, three is prime, five is prime, seven is
prime, nine is uh not prime, eleven is prime, thirteen is prime.  Yes,
they are all prime.  We just have some experimental error."

[The joke has an engineer and a computer programmer part, but it is too
long so I will get on with the point.]

Finally, after getting conflicting and inconclusive results from all
of the above he goes to the genertive linguist.  (He has learned that
they get pretty mathematical at times.  After all, they use lots of
alphas and betas, and they don't know Greek.)  So he says to the
linguist, "I have heard that all odd numbers are prime.  Is this true?"
The linguist thinks for a moment and says, "Well, one is prime.  Yes,
it must be a universal!"

I would have posted this to net.jokes, but I don't think that it would
have been sufficiently appreciated.

--
/*
**  Jeff Goldberg (best reached at GOLDBERG@SU-CSLI.ARPA)

mrgofor@mmm.UUCP (MKR) (02/18/86)

In article <178@uvacs.UUCP> mac@uvacs.UUCP (Alex Colvin) writes:

>Please! This is clearly a :-)

	Not only that, but I think English should be the standard language
for the whole world because the Bible is written in English.

--MKR

mrgofor@mmm.UUCP (MKR) (02/18/86)

In article <183@cfa.UUCP> wyatt@cfa.UUCP (Bill Wyatt) writes:

>[ mass quantities of flames from various authors about this statement ]
>
>Come on now! Isn't there *anyone* out there who has a sense of humor? Did
>Donn Seeley have to bracket his entire article in smiley faces to prevent
>people from taking this seriously?
>
>--
>
>Bill    UUCP:  {seismo|ihnp4|cmcl2}!harvard!talcott!cfa!wyatt
>Wyatt   ARPA:  wyatt%cfa.UUCP@harvard.HARVARD.EDU

	I think the problem here (that Bill Wyatt and others who expressed
similar sentiments are overlooking) is that there really *are* people who
have the most *bizarre* and *asinine* opinions and beliefs. (If you
don't believe me - try reading some of Ted Holden's postings in net.origins)
Without knowing someone personally, it is very difficult to tell if he or
she is joking or merely an idiot.

	--MKR

storm@diku.UUCP (Kim Fabricius Storm) (02/19/86)

In article <889@kuling.UUCP> christer@kuling.UUCP (Christer Johansson) writes:
>>- other words have specifically scandinavian origins: "husband", "town",
>>  "garden" ...
>What is the origin of "town"? The origins of 'husband' and 'garden' are obvious
>(at least if you speak a scandinavian language.)

"Town" comes from the old scandinavian 'tun' which meant an area enclosed
with a fence, or a farmyard.  It exists in danish town names like Tune and
Galten (from Galtatun: Galt = hog (pig) + tun = fence, i.e. a pigsty).

------------------
Kim F. Storm, Inst of Datalogy(=CS), U of Copenhagen
UUCP: mcvax!diku!storm, <storm@diku.UUCP>

tombre@crin.UUCP (Karl Tombre) (02/19/86)

In article <889@kuling.UUCP> christer@kuling.UUCP (Christer Johansson) writes:
>In article <144@crin.UUCP> of Sat, 15-Feb-86 04:24:49 GMT
>tombre@crin.UUCP (Karl Tombre) writes:
>
>> OK, there are common
>>roots in many european languages,
>>
>>- other words have specifically scandinavian origins: "husband", "town",
>>  "garden" ...
>
>What is the origin of "town"? The origins of 'husband' and 'garden' are obvious
>(at least if you speak a scandinavian language.)

   Well town comes from "tun" I believe (as in gaardstun)

And for those who don't speak a scandinavian language:

    husband  <--  hus-bonde (~~ the master in the house)
    garden   <--  gard (farm, piece of land)

Lenge leve Skandinavia!

   Cheers,