[net.nlang] Grammar and Spelling on the Net and Elsewhere

flackc@stolaf.UUCP (Chap Flack) (02/25/86)

> >>any validity their statements might otherwise have. I suppose one of the
>                ^^^^^ ?!?
> >>one another. If a person can't take the time to learn their own language,
>                                                         ^^^^^
> I am reminded of a parable which mentions stones and glass houses.

I am reminded of the words in the netiquette guide concerning
spelling flames.  But (no flame anymore, this is a serious question) is
there any consensus on the use of "their" as a genderless third-person
singular?  I have to admit that I also find it painful, but I often can't
think of anything better (that doesn't involve making my sentence
incredibly complex and stilted-sounding).  I find "his/her" even more
painful.  I notice that this use of "their" is *recommended* by the
`sexist' tool in the Writers' Workbench.  Hmm.

While I'm at it, is there anyone out there who has a decent genderless
salutation for a formal business letter?  I really can't bring myself
to write "Dear Sir or Madam:" (bletch!).
--
---------------------
Chap Flack				ihnp4!stolaf!agnes!flackc

lje@mtfmp.UUCP (L.ELSER) (02/28/86)

Diane Holt writes

>If a person can't take the time to learn their own language...
                                          ^^^^^
The mixing of singlular and plural here bothers me, but I
find it infinitely less offensive than the use of a masculine
pronoun where no gender need be specified, OR the use of a form
which attracts attention to itself, like his/her.

If sexist language is ever going to fall away, what comes after
must not look like a poor compromise.  It is important for writers
to avoid his/her for less obvious solutions.

I would have recast the sentence as:
"If people can't take the time to learn their own language..."

When in doubt, try throwing the whole sentence into the plural.
It oftem works.

Lisa

nather@utastro.UUCP (Ed Nather) (03/02/86)

In article <5122@stolaf.UUCP>, flackc@stolaf.UUCP (Chap Flack) writes:
> While I'm at it, is there anyone out there who has a decent genderless
> salutation for a formal business letter?  I really can't bring myself
> to write "Dear Sir or Madam:" (bletch!).
> Chap Flack				ihnp4!stolaf!agnes!flackc
> Carleton College			ihnp4!stolaf!flackc
> Northfield, MN  55057

Well, we use "Hi, y'all" but that might not be suitable everywhere ...

--
Ed Nather
Astronomy Dept, U of Texas @ Austin

nather@utastro.UUCP (Ed Nather) (03/03/86)

In article <568@mtfmp.UUCP>, lje@mtfmp.UUCP (L.ELSER) writes:

> When in doubt, try throwing the whole sentence into the plural.
> It often works.
> Lisa

I tried that, but it was long sentence, and the plural I have was too small
to hold the whole thing.  I *could* have held it in abeyance, which was
plenty big enough, but it seemed the coward's way out ...