[net.nlang] Answers to Frequently Asked Questions

gam@amdahl.UUCP (G A Moffett) (03/04/86)

[ from net.announce.newusers ]

In article <2868@gatech.CSNET> usenet@gatech.UUCP writes:

> [Most recent change: 24 January 1986 by spaf]
>
> 		Frequently Submitted Items
>  2.  What is the derivation of "foo" as a filler word?
>
>      The favorite story is that it comes from "fubar" which is an
>      acronym for "fouled up beyond all recognition", which is supposed
>      to be a military term.  (Various forms of this exist, "fouled"
>      usually being replaced by a stronger word.) "Foo" and "Bar" have
>      the same derivation.

I am tired of this sanitized (and vague) explanation of the origin
of "fubar": it really is a military term (that is, popular among
enlisted men) created during World War II, and it stands for
"fucked up beyond all recognition" (yes, really).  "Snafu"
has a similar (and probably related) history.

Also, I think "filler word" is a bit weak.  Somewhere I read "foo"
referred to as a "metasyntactic name" -- one which would safely not
occur in any existing programing language and could thus be used as a
variable name.  Even if that is not the context in which "foo" is used,
isn't there something more descriptive than "filler word"?