[net.nlang] Searching for a word

pablo@uw-june (David Cohn) (02/08/86)

A year ago or so a friend and I were trying to decide on a name for
a programming language we had created as part of a thesis. Convention
being what it was, we were in search of some proper acronym, but failing
to find one that tickled us appropriately, we settled on the name 'Havoc'.

Here lies my question: I need, in order to efficiently answer the questions
of others, the word that is the antonym of 'acronym'. Maybe 'the expansion
of', but that doesn't sound right. I've been using the term 'anacronym'
(pronounced like 'anachronism' with the 's' dropped). For example,
"International Buusiness Machines (tm) is the anacronym of IBM (also tm)".

In a world where we're being abbreviated past all common sense by the
military and others who like to make us think that they know what's going on
and noone else does, I'd think there'd be some call for a real English
(American, or any other ASCII language) word for anacronyms. Am I mistaken?
Am I in the wrong newsgroup? Or should I just call Willard Espy (not tm)
and ask him in person?
------------
respectfully,
   -p

mrgofor@mmm.UUCP (MKR) (02/10/86)

In article <361@uw-june> pablo@uw-june (David Cohn) writes:

>Here lies my question: I need, in order to efficiently answer the questions
>of others, the word that is the antonym of 'acronym'. Maybe 'the expansion
>of', but that doesn't sound right. I've been using the term 'anacronym'
>(pronounced like 'anachronism' with the 's' dropped). For example,
>"International Buusiness Machines (tm) is the anacronym of IBM (also tm)".
>
>In a world where we're being abbreviated past all common sense by the
>military and others who like to make us think that they know what's going on
>and noone else does, I'd think there'd be some call for a real English
>(American, or any other ASCII language) word for anacronyms. Am I mistaken?
>Am I in the wrong newsgroup? Or should I just call Willard Espy (not tm)
>and ask him in person?
>------------
>respectfully,
>   -p

As a side note - can anyone verify a piece of trivia I picked up somewhere?
I heard that "acronym" itself is an acronym. If so, does anyone know what
it stands for?

--MKR

das@ucla-cs.UUCP (02/13/86)

In article <484@mmm.UUCP> mrgofor@mmm.UUCP (MKR) writes:

>As a side note - can anyone verify a piece of trivia I picked up somewhere?
>I heard that "acronym" itself is an acronym. If so, does anyone know what
>it stands for?

You can check the answer yourself by consulting a dictionary (most give
etymologies).  Greek "akros" (point) + "onyma" (name).

Why is it that when people don't know the origin of a word, they often
conclude that it's an acronym?  I'll go crazy if I hear another person say
that "tip" comes from "to insure promptness", "posh" from "port out, starboard
home", "fuck" from "for unlawful carnal knowledge" or "fornication under
consent of the King", etc.  Doesn't anyone know how to use a reliable
dictionary?!  And doesn't it cross anyone's mind that acronyms that come from
the first letters of words (but not the ones that derive from first syllables)
are not likely to arise in non-literate societies?

Challenge:  Find a pronounceable word that originated as an acronym before,
say, 1800.  The Greek "IXTHYS" pun doesn't count, of course, since the acronym
was just a play on an existing word (the word means "fish", but is also an
acronym for the Greek phrase meaning "Jesus Christ, son of God").

-- David Smallberg, das@locus.ucla.edu, {ihnp4,ucbvax}!ucla-cs!das

marcus@wanginst.UUCP (Bob Marcus) (02/13/86)

In article <361@uw-june> pablo@uw-june (David Cohn) writes:
>Here lies my question: I need, in order to efficiently answer the questions
>of others, the word that is the antonym of 'acronym'. Maybe 'the expansion
>of', but that doesn't sound right. I've been using the term 'anacronym'
>(pronounced like 'anachronism' with the 's' dropped). For example,
>"International Business Machines (tm) is the anacronym of IBM (also tm)".

First of all, IBM isn't really an acronym, but merely an abbreviation.  An
acronym is "a word formed from the initial letters of words in a phrase."
For example, laser is an acronym, formed from "(l)ight (a)mplification by
(s)timulated (e)mission of (r)adiation."

Perhaps "protonym" is a good choice for the phrase from which an acronym is
derived.  "Proto-" is the Greek root for "original; earliest form of," as
in "prototype".  Thus the protonym of "scuba" is "self-contained underwater
breathing apparatus".

--
Bob Marcus                               marcus@wanginst        (Csnet)
Wang Institute of Graduate Studies       wanginst!marcus        (UUCP)

mmar@sphinx.UChicago.UUCP (Mitchell Marks) (02/14/86)

Yes, protonym is a very nice term.
There's still a gap in the terminology, though, for what the original
poster called 'expansion' but wanted something nicer.  It would apply
equally to acronyms, abbreviations, and hybrids (like CINCPAC etc) --
so that with equal appropriateness you could ask for the ____ of IBM
and also the ____ of 'laser'.
--

            -- Mitch Marks @ UChicago
               ...ihnp4!gargoyle!sphinx!mmar

carnes@gargoyle.UUCP (Richard Carnes) (02/15/86)

In article <1647@sphinx.UChicago.UUCP> mmar@sphinx.UUCP (Mitchell Marks) writes:

>Yes, protonym is a very nice term.
>There's still a gap in the terminology, though, for what the original
>poster called 'expansion' but wanted something nicer.  It would apply
>equally to acronyms, abbreviations, and hybrids (like CINCPAC etc) --
>so that with equal appropriateness you could ask for the ____ of IBM
>and also the ____ of 'laser'.

I agree that "protonym" is a good word.  It should properly mean
"original or first name".  For the more general meaning, how about
"macronym", "holonym", "pleonym", or "pleistonym".  Here are some
more words that should be words but aren't:

 podonym	word formed from last letters of words in full name
 megalonym	big name
 teratonym	monster name
 brontonym	thunderous name
 idionym	name known only to oneself
 calonym	beautiful name
 caconym	ugly name
 deinonym	weird name
 sophonym	wise name
 moronym	dumb name
 tautonym	same name
 metonym	changed name
 mesonym	middle name
 eschatonym	last name
--
Richard Carnes, ihnp4!gargoyle!carnes

nather@utastro.UUCP (Ed Nather) (02/15/86)

In article <8933@ucla-cs.ARPA>, das@ucla-cs.UUCP writes:
> Challenge:  Find a pronounceable word that originated as an acronym before,
> say, 1800.  The Greek "IXTHYS" pun doesn't count, of course, since the acronym
> was just a play on an existing word (the word means "fish", but is also an
> acronym for the Greek phrase meaning "Jesus Christ, son of God").
>
> -- David Smallberg, das@locus.ucla.edu, {ihnp4,ucbvax}!ucla-cs!das

From "An Israel (sic) Haggadah for Passover" by Meyer Levin, page 54:

Plague after plague was sent upon the Egyptians.  In compassion and sorrow
over the evil and suffering that exists in the world, our ancestors, in
numbering the plagues, poured away with each word a drop of their wine
of rejoicing.  Rabbi Yehuda used only the initial for each plague, and
made three words:

      D'tsach adash b'achav

(necessarily a transliteration here, since most terminals don't speak
Hebrew.)

If I remember correctly, Rabbi Yehuda died before 1800.
--
Ed Nather
Astronomy Dept, U of Texas @ Austin

lambert@boring.UUCP (02/17/86)

In article <340@gargoyle.UUCP> carnes@gargoyle.UUCP (Richard Carnes) writes:

> [...] Here are some more words that should be words but aren't:
> [...]
> metonym	changed name

From a dictionary:
  metonym: a word used by metonymy.
  metonymy: (Rhet.) the use of a name of one thing for that
    of another to which it has some logical relation, as
    "scepter" for "sovereignty," or "the bottle" for "strong
    drink."

--

     Lambert Meertens
     ...!{seismo,okstate,garfield,decvax,philabs}!lambert@mcvax.UUCP

mrgofor@mmm.UUCP (MKR) (02/17/86)

In article <1647@sphinx.UChicago.UUCP> mmar@sphinx.UUCP (Mitchell Marks) writes:

>Yes, protonym is a very nice term.
>There's still a gap in the terminology, though, for what the original
>poster called 'expansion' but wanted something nicer.  It would apply
>equally to acronyms, abbreviations, and hybrids (like CINCPAC etc) --
>so that with equal appropriateness you could ask for the ____ of IBM
>and also the ____ of 'laser'.
>--
>
>            -- Mitch Marks @ UChicago
>               ...ihnp4!gargoyle!sphinx!mmar

	Derivation?

	--MKR

kay@warwick.UUCP (Kay Dekker) (03/10/86)

In article <8933@ucla-cs.ARPA> das@ucla-cs.UUCP (David Smallberg) writes:
>Challenge:  Find a pronounceable word that originated as an acronym before,
>say, 1800.  The Greek "IXTHYS" pun doesn't count, of course, since the acronym
>was just a play on an existing word (the word means "fish", but is also an
>acronym for the Greek phrase meaning "Jesus Christ, son of God").
>
>-- David Smallberg, das@locus.ucla.edu, {ihnp4,ucbvax}!ucla-cs!das

Well, this doen't *quite* count, but I thought it might be of interest:
the word "cabal" (which in its common uses is derived from Fr. "cabale",
Lat. "cab(b)ale", and Heb. "kabbala") is in history specifically applied
to the five ministers of Charles II of England: Clifford, Arlington,
Buckingham, Ashley and Lauderdale, who signed the Treaty of Alliance with
France in 1672.

						Kay.

--
"I AM; YOU ARE; HELLO: all else is poetry"
			... mcvax!ukc!warwick!kay