[net.nlang] nonsense line

colonel@ellie.UUCP (Col. G. L. Sicherman) (02/25/86)

> From _The Comics_, by Jerry Robinson, p. 229:
>   _Our Boarding House_, later to star the bombastic, stuffed-shirt
> Major Hoople, was created by Gene Ahern in 1921 with the _Squirrel Cage_
> as the top.  NOV SHMOZ KA POP, a nonsense line that was widely parroted,
> originated in the _Squirrel Cage_.

What do you mean, "nonsense line"?  I'll bet somebody on the Net can
identify both the language and the meaning.

A tougher one is "NOTARY SOJAC," from _Smokey Stover._ I'll bet nobody
figures that one out!

	Captain Buffalo: "You see, Tommy ... When a freak laboratory accident
	  made Mudman what he is today, something happened to his mind as well.
	  He's not evil, he's sick!"
	Tommy Thrush: "Does that mean he can be cured?"
	Captain Buffalo: "Well ... probably not."
--
Col. G. L. Sicherman
UU: ...{rocksvax|decvax}!sunybcs!colonel

jim@randvax.UUCP (Jim Gillogly) (03/02/86)

In article <831@ellie.UUCP> colonel@ellie.UUCP (Col. G. L. Sicherman) writes:
>> Major Hoople, was created by Gene Ahern in 1921 with the _Squirrel Cage_
>> as the top.  NOV SHMOZ KA POP, a nonsense line that was widely parroted,
>
>What do you mean, "nonsense line"?  I'll bet somebody on the Net can
>identify both the language and the meaning.
>
>A tougher one is "NOTARY SOJAC," from _Smokey Stover._ I'll bet nobody
>figures that one out!

NOTARY SOJAC anagrams to "JAY'S CARTOON".  I wonder who wrote Smokey Stover.
(It also anagrams to "A COSY TROJAN" and "JARS A TYCOON", but those aren't
very compelling.)
--
	Jim Gillogly
	{decvax, vortex}!randvax!jim

starback@kuling.UUCP (Per Starb{ck) (03/04/86)

> >              NOV SHMOZ KA POP, a nonsense line that was widely parroted,
> > originated in the _Squirrel Cage_.

> What do you mean, "nonsense line"?  I'll bet somebody on the Net can
> identify both the language and the meaning.

I am almost sure that the phrase is not to be found in any of the
languages of the world.
As for meaning; the only excert from The Squirrel Cage I have read is
three strips in the first NEMO Annual (Screwball Comics) so I may be
wrong, but it looks as if it means "Can you give me a lift, please" or
something like that.

Note 1: This is my first posting to the net, so I except it will turn
out I did everything wrong...

Note 2: Don't write follow-ups in net.comics only if you intend me to
read them, since we unfortunately don't get net.comics in Europe. Sob!
--
Per Starback		UUCP: starback@kuling.UUCP
Karlsrog. 13:H33	   or {mcvax,seismo}!enea!kuling!starback

roger@celtics.UUCP (Roger Klorese) (03/10/86)

In article <77@randvax.UUCP> jim@randvax.UUCP (Jim Gillogly) writes:
>In article <831@ellie.UUCP> colonel@ellie.UUCP (Col. G. L. Sicherman) writes:
>>
>>A tougher one is "NOTARY SOJAC," from _Smokey Stover._ I'll bet nobody
>>figures that one out!
>
>NOTARY SOJAC anagrams to "JAY'S CARTOON".  I wonder who wrote Smokey Stover.
>(It also anagrams to "A COSY TROJAN" and "JARS A TYCOON", but those aren't
>very compelling.)
>--
>	Jim Gillogly
>	{decvax, vortex}!randvax!jim
>	jim@rand-unix.arpa

Bill Holman... now there goes THAT idea...

--
*** Speak for the company?  Naaaah, it's hard enough speaking for ME! ***

 ... "What were you expecting, rock'n'roll?"

Roger B.A. Klorese
Celerity Computing, 40 Speen St., Framingham, MA 01701, (617) 872-1772
UUCP: seismo!harvard!bu-cs!celtics!roger, ucbvax!sdcsvax!celerity!celtics!roger
ARPA: bu-cs!celtics!roger@harvard.ARPA, celerity!celtics!roger@sdcsvax.ARPA