[net.nlang] Availability of English Grammar, Dictionaries

norman@batcomputer.UUCP (03/07/86)

Does anyone out there know of

1) A good English grammar. Neither my state education nor my BA saw
   fit to teach me any English grammar; everything I know is from Latin.
   Some examples of things I would like to know:
     		When to use "which" vs "that"
		When to use the subjunctive
		What is the difference between "consist of" and
			"consist in"?

2) A good etymological dictionary that a starving student can afford.
   I have the OED (a gift from thoughtful relatives), and I'm looking
   for a modern dictionary of American English to supplement it.

3) A good dictionary of American English -- I'm incredibly fed up with
   the "collegiate" dictionaries. AS a test, it should have the correct
   technical definiton of the word "ohmic", to wit: exhibiting behavior
   consistent with Ohm's law.

Anybody out there have any ideas?
--
Norman Ramsey     norman@tcgould.tn.cornell.edu       Pianist at Large

albert@kim.berkeley.edu (Anthony Albert) (03/09/86)

As a good American dictionary, I nominate the Webster's Third New International
Dictionary. It is the dictionary of choice for libraries. Its definition of
ohmic:

  1. of or relating to an ohm: measured in ohms
  2. relating to a material or an electrical contact for which the electrical
     resistance is not dependent on the applied voltage.

The latest version is 1961, with updates every five years; last update was 1981.
(By the way, does anyone know if a new update is coming out this year?). It
costs about $80 new, though it can be found used for half price.
				Anthony Albert
				..!ucbvax!kim!albert
				albert@kim.berkeley.edu

charli@cylixd.UUCP (Charli Phillips) (03/10/86)

In article <382@batcomputer.TN.CORNELL.EDU> norman@batcomputer.UUCP (Norman Ramsey) writes:
>Does anyone out there know of
>
>1) A good English grammar. Neither my state education nor my BA saw
>   fit to teach me any English grammar; everything I know is from Latin.

If you can only get one book, get _Modern American Usage_ by Wilson
Follett (paperback, about $10).  If you can afford two, get that and
_The Elements of Style_ by William Strunk Jr. and E. B. White
(paperback, about $3).  I write for a living, and I find they cover
everything I ever want to know, and then some.  I'm sure you would find
your questions answered in these books.  (Follett, for example, spends
5 and a half pages on that and which.)

	regards,
		Charli Phillips