[net.nlang] Pet names in different languages

tbg@apollo.uucp (Tom Gross) (02/28/86)

    I am interested in the names people who speak
    various mother tongues give to pets.  I am primarily
    interested in fanciful names of pets; names that are
    not human names but sound like names in another language.

    For example,
    my japanese teacher once told me that in Japan
    people like to give their dogs "western sounding"
    names.  He cited as an example a dog in his
    neighborhood named "S".

    A friend of mine in Norway had a dog named "Sniff"
    (because he did a lot of sniffing; I'm not sure if
    "sniff" is a word in Norsk).

    In this country I would think that currently
    cute human names are fashionable for dogs and cats,
    generally, but I only know a few dogs and cats.
    "Oriental sounding" names were (or perhaps are still)
    common; I once met a dog name "Tsuki" (which could
    be nihongo for moon I think), and my family had
    a cat named "Changa".

    Tom Gross
    Apollo Computer, Inc.
    Chelmsford, MA

chai@utflis.UUCP (03/03/86)

In article <2c37a2c4.2a75@apollo.uucp> tbg@apollo.uucp (Tom Gross) writes:

>    I am interested in the names people who speak
>    various mother tongues give to pets.

I knew a person from Singapore who called her Cocker Spaniel (sp)
Mou-Mou.  Her mother tongue is, I believe, English, though she
speaks a certain dialect of Chinese (Hakkanese ??).
Anyway, Mou-Mou in Cantonese would mean "kitty", which is absurd,
but in some other dialects it sorta means "little haired-thing".
("mou" -> hair; repeating the word is a sign of affection)

--
Henry Chai ( guest on suran@utcsri )
{utzoo,ihnp4,allegra,decwrl}!utcsri!utflis!chai       chai%utflis@TORONTO

wmartin@brl-smoke.UUCP (03/05/86)

We inherited our dog from our next-door neighbor, who was from Austria.
She had named her "Frissling" (the "ss" is really an ess-szet letter,
could be "sz" if you prefer), which means "little gobbler".

Will

ingrid@pilchuck.UUCP (03/06/86)

>     I am interested in the names people who speak
>     various mother tongues give to pets.  I am primarily
>     interested in fanciful names of pets; names that are
>     not human names but sound like names in another language.
>

>     Tom Gross
>     Apollo Computer, Inc.
>     Chelmsford, MA

All my relatives live in Sweden. my aunt has a German Shepherd
called "Erak" (air-ack); a cousin has a cat named "Kissymiss".

Who knows....pet names are great....!

Ingrid Tenggren (Data I/O Corp's Real Swede)

"..Before the Women's Liberation Movement, women were in the kitchen,
and men took care of cars. Now that we have Women's Liberation, men
no longer feel the need to take care of the cars...."

--dave barry's wife  :-)

phoenix@genat.UUCP (phoenix) (03/20/86)

In article <2258@utcsri.UUCP> utflis!chai@utcsri.UUCP (Henry Chai) writes:
>In article <2c37a2c4.2a75@apollo.uucp> tbg@apollo.uucp (Tom Gross) writes:
>>
>>    I am interested in the names people who speak
>>    various mother tongues give to pets.
>
>I knew a person from Singapore who called her Cocker Spaniel (sp)
>Mou-Mou.  Her mother tongue is, I believe, English, though she
>speaks a certain dialect of Chinese (Hakkanese ??).
>Anyway, Mou-Mou in Cantonese would mean "kitty", which is absurd,
>but in some other dialects it sorta means "little haired-thing".
>("mou" -> hair; repeating the word is a sign of affection)
>
>--
>Henry Chai ( guest on suran@utcsri )
>{utzoo,ihnp4,allegra,decwrl}!utcsri!utflis!chai       chai%utflis@TORONTO

I have a canary named Tori-san, Japanese for (approximately) Honourable Mister
Bird, and a Siamese kitten named Yuki, Japanese for "snow".
--
					The Phoenix
					(Neither Bright, Dark, nor Young)

---"A man should live forever...or die trying."
---"There is no substitute for good manners...except fast reflexes."