[net.nlang] Usenet Phrase Guide--request for help

ecl@mtgzy.UUCP (e.c.leeper) (03/10/86)

It occurred to me (as I plan my Scandinavian trip which involves five countries
and five languages) that *the* two most useful phrases in any language X are:
	"Thank you."
and
	"I don't speak X; do you speak Y (please)?"
(For English-speakers, 'Y' is 'English'; for others, you can substitute the
language of your choice.)

So...please send me *via email* these two phrases for any languages
(especially the less common ones) that you know.  If pronunciation is not
obvious, please provide transliteration.  I can provide the Spanish,
(and English, though that's not very helpful) so that's a start.  In a couple
of weeks, I'll summarize to the net (in net.travel).  If it seems useful, I
will try to repost (with additions) every six months or so.

Yes, I realize that one should try to learn a little more of the language, but
for people doing the "five countries in two weeks" routine, it's nigh onto
impossible.  And I realize that this is very much directed to native English
speakers, but since that is the language I speak best (I think!), I'll collect
that one.

					Evelyn C. Leeper
					...ihnp4!mtgzz!ecl
					(or ihnp4!mtgzy!ecl)

anita@utastro.UUCP (Anita Cochran) (03/12/86)

In article <1646@mtgzy.UUCP>, ecl@mtgzy.UUCP (e.c.leeper) writes:
> It occurred to me (as I plan my Scandinavian trip which involves five countries
> and five languages) that *the* two most useful phrases in any language X are:
> 	"Thank you."
> and
> 	"I don't speak X; do you speak Y (please)?"
> (For English-speakers, 'Y' is 'English'; for others, you can substitute the
> language of your choice.)

This reminds me of a funny thing that happened when we were in Scandinavia
last spring.  We were there for a scientific meeting and this actually
happened to one of our colleagues.  The meeting was in Uppsala Sweden.
He walked into a restaurant and sat down.  When the waitress came up to
him, she asked him, in perfect English, "Do you speak Swedish?".  Our friend
was taken aback by this and asked "Since you speak such excellent English,
why should I even try?" (He was not trying to be rude -- he was just surprised).
She explained that few people in the world speak Swedish and many people of
all countries know at least a little English so, unless they know someone
is Swedish, they assume that English will be the language most likely to
be understood!  We found that anywhere we went in Sweden, Denmark or
Norway everyone knew English since they must start learning it in 3rd
grade.  Most restaurants have menus in the native language and English
with, sometimes, either French or German.

Though I do not want to appear rude by insisting on English, when we
covered 3 countries in 3 weeks, it hardly paid to learn the languages.
This was never a problem and the Scandinavians did not seem to resent
talking in English.
--
 Anita Cochran  uucp:  {noao, ut-sally, ut-ngp}!utastro!anita
                arpa:  anita@astro.UTEXAS.EDU

ingrid@pilchuck.UUCP (03/14/86)

> It occurred to me (as I plan my Scandinavian trip which involves five countries
> and five languages) that *the* two most useful phrases in any language X are:
> 	"Thank you."
> and
> 	"I don't speak X; do you speak Y (please)?"
> (For English-speakers, 'Y' is 'English'; for others, you can substitute the
> language of your choice.)
>
> 					Evelyn C. Leeper
> 					...ihnp4!mtgzz!ecl
> 					(or ihnp4!mtgzy!ecl)

Swedish--
thank you is "Tack" (not like the tack you affix things to the wall with)

and the "I don't speak" sentence would go something like
"Jag talar ingen Svenska; talar du Engelska?"
(yogg tall-are' ing-in sven-skah'; tall-are' due sven-skah'?)

harald@kvvax4.UUCP (03/17/86)

anita@utastro.UUCP (Anita Cochran) writes:
>We found that anywhere we went in Sweden, Denmark or
>Norway everyone knew English since they must start learning it in 3rd
>grade.

This is about true.  I bet almost any person in this country at least
understands "thank you".  And for the language question, "Do you speak
English?", if someone dont answer reasonably to this, then either
he/she dont speak the language, or you're in Finland  :-).
--
Harald Eikrem, a/s Kongsberg Vaapenfabrikk, CTG4 dept, Kongsberg, Norway
{decvax,garfield,okstate,philabs,seismo,ukc,..}!mcvax!kvvax4!harald

chmorris@watrose.UUCP (chmorris) (03/18/86)

In article <499@utastro.UUCP> anita@utastro.UUCP (Anita Cochran) writes:
>Though I do not want to appear rude by insisting on English, when we
>covered 3 countries in 3 weeks, it hardly paid to learn the languages.
>This was never a problem and the Scandinavians did not seem to resent
>talking in English.
I expect this depends which countries you covered, and how remote an area.
When we went to Norway, Denmark and (briefly) Sweden, we found a large number
of people who did not speak English!  Many of these people knew German (or,
exceptionally, French), but in rural Norway the farmer we stayed with did
not speak any of these three languages and we were very glad of our Norwegian
phrase book.

Corinne Morris at the University of Waterloo

pablo@uw-june (David Cohn) (03/18/86)

> Evelyn's query reminded me of it because there is a phrasebook in it
> which gives a few phrases in 25 different languages.  The
> words/phrases are listed in the roman alphabet with pronunciation
> guides.  They are "excuse me", "please", "thanks", "where is ...",
> "how much is ...", "yes", "no", and "good".  He gives many other
> phrases in different parts of the book.  Kind of silly, but nice to
> have in one place, and fun to read.  You'll know what to say to your
> Swahili buddies.

I bough one of these (Berlitz) while hitching through north Europe. It *was*
very useful but not for the reasons that the publisher intended. My rides
always spoke some English, frequently perfect English with an American
accent. As a source of amusement during long rides, I would attempt to
read some of the anglified phrases and they would try to guess what I was
saying.
Some one the more amusing entries (remember, this is Berlitz!) were:

"Excuse me, you've dropped your handkerchief"
"Do you live alone?"
"Do you *have* to go home tonight?"

Really, though, the phases you need are ones that need to be popped out
in a moment when there's no time to look up: "Thanks", "Please", "Excuse me".
Just asking "English?" is a clear enough question to any European; prefixing
it by an "Excuse me" in the appropriate language is even better.
---------------
blue skies,
 -pablo

mlf@grkermi.UUCP (Matt Fichtenbaum) (03/19/86)

>>We found that anywhere we went in Sweden, Denmark or
>>Norway everyone knew English since they must start learning it in 3rd
>>grade.

English has been taught universally in Sweden only since W.W.II, so
the "everyone" of whom you speak probably omits older people.
I have been in many places in Sweden where my imperfect Swedish was
the most effective way for me to communicate with people there.

Furthermore, having studied a language doesn't mean that one is
comfortable speaking it.  Some of the best discussions I have had
with Swedes were in our respective languages - I speaking English
and the other party speaking Swedish.  Speaking a "foreign" language
is much more effort than listening to it.

Conclusion: many people in Scandinavia will be able to communicate
with you in English; some won't, and there will be times that the
latter group are the only ones around.

--

			Matt Fichtenbaum
			...Henry VIII, Henry VII, Henry VI, Henry V, Henry IV,

dsn@umcp-cs.UUCP (Dana S. Nau) (03/20/86)

In article <248@kvvax4.UUCP> harald@kvvax4.UUCP (Harald Eikrem) writes:
>anita@utastro.UUCP (Anita Cochran) writes:
>>We found that anywhere we went in Sweden, Denmark or
>>Norway everyone knew English since they must start learning it in 3rd
>>grade.
>
>This is about true.  I bet almost any person in this country at least
>understands "thank you".  And for the language question, "Do you speak
>English?", if someone dont answer reasonably to this, then either
>he/she dont speak the language, or you're in Finland  :-).

As I found out on a recent trip to Finland, nearly everyone there speaks
English too.  If I remember correctly, they all have to learn two foreign
languages in school, and most of them choose Swedish and English.

I would imagine the Finns have some pretty compelling reasons for learning
foreign languages:  Finnish is a difficult language to learn (for example,
they have no prepositions, but instead have about sixteen cases), and most
non-Finns would have little reason for learning it.
--

Dana S. Nau,  Comp. Sci. Dept.,  U. of Maryland,  College Park,  MD 20742
dsn@maryland		seismo!umcp-cs!dsn		(301) 454-7932

jsq@im4u.UUCP (John Quarterman) (03/25/86)

"Thank you" in English is "Ta!"  :-)
--
John Quarterman, UUCP:  {gatech,harvard,ihnp4,pyramid,seismo}!ut-sally!im4u!jsq
ARPA Internet and CSNET:  jsq@im4u.UTEXAS.EDU, jsq@sally.UTEXAS.EDU

andrew@stc.UUCP (03/27/86)

In article <824@im4u.UUCP> jsq@im4u.UUCP (John Quarterman) writes:
| "Thank you" in English is "Ta!"  :-)

Oh, I always was taught that ``ta'' was a vulgar acronym for

	Thanks Awfully		--- Not forgetting the plummy voice :-)
--
Regards,
	Andrew Macpherson.	<andrew@tcom.stc.co.uk>

steves@tektools.UUCP (steve shellans) (03/28/86)

In article <400@umcp-cs.UUCP> dsn@maryland.UUCP (Dana S. Nau) writes:
>In article <248@kvvax4.UUCP> harald@kvvax4.UUCP (Harald Eikrem) writes:
>>anita@utastro.UUCP (Anita Cochran) writes:
>>>We found that anywhere we went in Sweden, Denmark or
>>>Norway everyone knew English since they must start learning it in 3rd
>>>grade.
>>
>>This is about true.  I bet almost any person in this country at least
>>understands "thank you".  And for the language question, "Do you speak
>>English?", if someone dont answer reasonably to this, then either
>>he/she dont speak the language, or you're in Finland  :-).
.
.
.

>I would imagine the Finns have some pretty compelling reasons for learning
>foreign languages:  Finnish is a difficult language to learn (for example,
>they have no prepositions, but instead have about sixteen cases), and most
>non-Finns would have little reason for learning it.
>--
>
>Dana S. Nau,  Comp. Sci. Dept.,  U. of Maryland,  College Park,  MD 20742
>dsn@maryland		seismo!umcp-cs!dsn		(301) 454-7932

Years ago I picked up a piece of information that is intriguing, but I
have never been able to confirm.  It is: The Finnish and Hungarian languages
are related to each other but to no other languages.

Can anyone confirm?  Are there any theories as to how this might have
evolved, and when?

Steve Shellans
Tektronix, Beaverton OR
{ihnp4,ucbvax,decvax,allegra,zehntel}tektronix!tektools!steves