[net.nlang] translation wanted from MontyPythonEnglish to American English

bandy@lll-lcc.UUcp (Andrew Scott Beals) (03/20/86)

On "Monty Python's Last Record" on the first side, there is a
"course" that is designed to help you overcome being embarassed
easily ("It's all part of growing up and being British.").

I'm interested in the word "grunties". What does it mean? It is in
this word group: "Shoe. Megaphone. Grunties." (the narrator is
reading it and you're supposed to gauge your embarassment response)
--
I'm PROUD to be a CARBON-BASED lifeform!

andy beals
bandy@lll-crg.arpa	{ihnp4,seismo,ll-xn,qantel,sun}!lll-crg!bandy
LLNL, P.O. Box 808, L-419, Livermore CA 94550 (415) 423-1948

petolino@chronon.UUCP (Joe Petolino) (03/21/86)

>I'm interested in the word "grunties". What does it mean? It is in

I once heard an Australian use a word that sounded like 'grundies'
when referring to his underwear.  Could be the same word.

This brings up an interesting point - both Australians and Americans
use a 'd' sound for the letter 't' in certain words, but the set of words
for which this is done is different in the two dialects.
E.g. Americans often pronounce then number 40 as 'fordy';
Australians often pronounce then number 14 as 'fordeen'.

steven@boring.uucp (Steven Pemberton) (03/24/86)

In article <197@lll-lcc.UUcp> bandy@lll-lcc.UUCP (Andrew Scott Beals) writes:
> I'm interested in the word "grunties". What does it mean? It is in
> this word group: "Shoe. Megaphone. Grunties." (the narrator is
> reading it and you're supposed to gauge your embarassment response)

It means 'poo-poos' to me. I suppose it's sort of onomatopoeic.
(Is 'poo-poos' American? 'Turds' maybe is.)

Steven Pemberton, CWI, Amsterdam; steven@mcvax.

kay@warwick.UUCP (Kay Dekker) (03/29/86)

In article <197@lll-lcc.UUcp> bandy@lll-lcc.UUCP (Andrew Scott Beals) writes:
>On "Monty Python's Last Record" on the first side, there is a
>"course" that is designed to help you overcome being embarassed
>easily ("It's all part of growing up and being British.").

"Previous Record", I believe.

>I'm interested in the word "grunties". What does it mean? It is in
>this word group: "Shoe. Megaphone. Grunties." (the narrator is
>reading it and you're supposed to gauge your embarassment response)

I've done a little research on this: two of my friends stated that (to them)
"grunties" meant "underwear".  More specifically, those items of apparel which
frequently cover the nether regions of men; those which we in England refer
to as "pants", though I believe this word has rather different connotations
in the USA.

I myself have not heard this word used (except in the sketch, and by my
friends); for the record, my friends are (and I hope they will forgive this
off-the-cuff categorisation)  white, male, of English extraction, in their
early twenties, middle-class, and from the South of England.

							Kay.
--
"I AM; YOU ARE; HELLO: all else is poetry"
			... mcvax!ukc!warwick!kay