[net.nlang] Spelling on the net

kay@warwick.UUCP (Kay Dekker) (03/29/86)

In article <217@ubu.warwick.UUCP> msj@ubu.UUCP (Mike Joy) writes:

>There is a problem here ... I find "their" an unpleasant word to use in the
>context of a singular pronoun, simply because it looks wrong! I therefore
>find myself needing to use either "his" or "his/her", or alternatively
>to rewrite the sentence in such a way that the problem does not arise. I
>agree with Lisa that a straight "his" is a bad move because of its implication
>that the person being referred to is male.

Quite.

>Firstly, does anyone know of a sensible non-sexist word that could be
>used in such a situation?

Indeed I do.  And it's grammatical (but I don't think you'll like it).

>Perhaps we ought to abolish the words "her" and "she" completely, using
>"his" and "he" as being genderless ...

And there my opinion diverges from yours.  English (it seems to me) already
*has* a pronoun that may be used to refer to entities whose gender is either
unspecified or unspecifiable: IT.

I've suggested this to a few friends, and, by-and-large, though they could
see the grammatical propriety of "it", they felt that to apply "it" to a
person would be somehow demeaning.  I fail to see why...

							Kay.

--
"I AM; YOU ARE; HELLO: all else is poetry"
			... mcvax!ukc!warwick!kay