[net.nlang] Looking for Papers.

ccrrick@ucdavis.UUCP (Rick Heli) (05/12/86)

Hi - I am working on software  which  trains  students  in  speed
reading  techniques.   I  need to have a number of stories, arti-
cles, or papers for the student to choose from for the exercises.
If  you  have  any  material which you are willing to let me use,
please let me know (or just send the file).  It has to be a  file
I  can  easily move onto an IBM PC disk, so printed pages are not
of much use.  Any subject or reading level or language  is  fine.
Languages like LISP or Pascal don't qualify (-:

If you want more information about the software,  please  send  a
message to one of the following addresses:

        ARPA:   con.reilly@su-gsb-how.ARPA
        UUCP:   ucbvax!con.reilly@su-gsb-how.ARPA

Thanks much,

Brian Reilly
--
				--rick heli
				UUCP:      ... {ucbvax,lll-lcc}!ucdavis!ccrrick

michaelm@bcsaic.UUCP (michael maxwell) (05/15/86)

In article <324@ucdavis.UUCP> ccrrick@ucdavis.UUCP (Rick Heli) writes:
>...I  need to have a number of stories, articles, or papers...
>If  you  have  any  material which you are willing to let me use,
>please let me know (or just send the file).  It has to be a  file
>I  can  easily move onto an IBM PC disk, so printed pages are not
>of much use.  Any subject or reading level or language  is  fine.

I can think of lots of other uses for such computer-readable text.  We just
spent a man-day or so typing in the front page of the New York Times, so we
could run our parser program on it (as a test case).  (We would probably have
done better if we got a secretary to do it, but we didn't realize it would be
such a big task.)  I know of lots of sources of such data that you can spend
big bucks on, but there's probably some public domain stuff out there...
BTW, we decided against usnet as a source of text because we wanted something
at a slightly higher level :-)

All seriousness aside, you might consider some of the discussion on
net.origins; some of the articles there are certainly long enough...
(And yes, I do mean "all seriousness aside".)
--
Mike Maxwell
Boeing Artificial Intelligence Center