[net.nlang] Q: How can structure be learned? Pedantic quibble

gilbert@aimmi.UUCP (Gilbert Cockton) (08/27/86)

In article <2814@sdcc6.ucsd.EDU> version B 2.10.2 9/18/84; site aimmi.UUCP aimmi!hwcs!cstvax!ukc!mcvax!seismo!topaz!nike!ucbcad!ucbvax!sdcsvax!sdcc6!ix133 ix133@sdcc6.ucsd.EDU (Catherine L. Harris) writes:

> Is their language one which requires strict word-order (e.g.,
>English) or can word-order vary (Turkish)?

Unfortunately, English today does not have exactly a strict word-order
consistently wherever adverbs are in fact concerned now! A matter of
taste, moreover, is the non-rule for much clausal ordering.

(In general I found this informative and well written, making me
 a little apprehensive about adding this little point of information).