[net.aviation] Aviation Hardware, the price of flying

gmm@bunker.UUCP (Gregory M. Mandas) (09/25/84)

 >From ittvax!decvax!genrad!wjh12!harvard!seismo!hao!hplabs!sri-unix!TLD@MIT-MC  >Sun Sep 23 13:57:00 1984
 >Subject: Sources for hardware
 >Newsgroups: net.aviation
 >
 >From:  Thomas L. Davenport <TLD @ MIT-MC>
 >
 >My racing car uses a number of aircraft-quality components, especially
 >fasteners and rod ends.  I'm looking for a better source of supply
 >than my usual (read: expensive) motor-racing sources.  Can anyone
 >suggest places for me to look for this sort of hardware either in the
 >Boston or Baltimore-Washington areas?  Alternately, are there good
 >mail-order sources?  Where do the experimental aircraft folks buy
 >their hardware?  Surplus is fine.  Any leads will be most appreciated!
 >
 >-Tom-

My greatest flame on the aviation industry is the cost of parts.
During an anual I was once made to to replace the rear seatbelts in
my Cheorkee 150 for a cost of $30 a pair. I could have bought
a pair of auto seatbelts for far less (~$15)  with the same breaking
limit. A HAM friend of mine bought a digital pocket ham radio for $250
with more power and capabilties (read: memories, station selection, LCDs)
than you basic $700 COM.

You can blame the FAA for strict certification requirements or the
aviation equipment manufacturers for the mark-up on an item with
a limited manufacturering run or the FBO for trying to stay afloat
in a market place inflation has hit hardest; But all in all I think
you will find that when you purchase a part from and aviation supplier
the price will be higher than any other source.

I hope I am wrong. Let us know how you make out. [with the parts :-) ]

Greg Mandas
ittvax!bunker!gmm

jcp@brl-tgr.ARPA (Joe Pistritto <jcp>) (09/26/84)

Speaking of HAM equipment manufactures, I believe ICOM (a Japanese
manufacturer of hand-held radios), is making a quite reasonbly
priced aviation band hand-held type radio.

					-JCP-

ron@brl-tgr.ARPA (Ron Natalie <ron>) (09/26/84)

I don't think it is ICOM (but it's probably the same bunch of
japanese engineers anyhow).  There are two handheld COM radios
that I know of.  One is the TERRA which is big and Klunky.  The
other (the manufacturer escapes me) uses the exact same box,
keyboard, (and probably microprocessor) as my Kenwood TR-2400.

-Ron