[net.aviation] FAA gives computers clean bill of health

CMP.WERNER@UTEXAS-20.ARPA (10/31/84)

From:  Werner Uhrig  <CMP.WERNER@UTEXAS-20.ARPA>

WASHINGTON (AP) - The Federal Aviation Administration says extensive tests
have shown that the use of portable computers aboard an airliner poses no
hazard to aircraft radio or navigational equipment.

The tests also concluded that  calculators and electronic games may be used
without interfering with the plane's equipment.

The agency said it will continue to prohibit the use of the computers,
electronic calculators or electronic games during takeoffs and landings "to
provide an extra margin of safety."

Federal regulations continue to prohibit two-way radios, radio-controlled toys,
portable telephones, AM-FM radios and portable televisions.  The regulations
allow the use of portable voice recorders, hearing aids, heart pacemakers and
electronic shavers.
-------

kiessig@idi.UUCP (Rick Kiessig) (11/09/84)

> From:  Werner Uhrig  <CMP.WERNER@UTEXAS-20.ARPA>
>
> The regulations allow
> the use of portable voice recorders, hearing aids, heart pacemakers and
> electronic shavers.

On a recent plane trip I was called off of the plane before takeoff
and greeted by many men, one armed with a machine gun, and ordered to
open my locked and buzzing briefcase.  The cause, much to their
relief, was a battery operated razor.  However, I was sternly warned
that I should never again pack into my luggage anything containing
batteries.

--
Rick Kiessig
{decvax, ucbvax}!sun!idi!kiessig

freund@nsc.UUCP (Bob Freund) (11/12/84)

I would hate to shut off my pacemaker during takeoffs and landings.
:-)
-bob