[net.aviation] aviation calculators

mark@anwar.UUCP (mark) (11/30/84)

	     Last Sunday I decided to visit a couple of local FBO's
	at Republic Airport on Long Island NY in search of a good
	aviation computer.  In my quest I had a predetermination to
	buy an electronic type because of its convenience (push buttons)
	v.s look up the data (slide rule style).  Another reason for
	my prejudice is that the flight manual Im currently using has
	the flight computer chapter set up to teach the student with
	an electronic calculator (note: of course the electronic type
	they use throughout the chapter is manufactured by the same
	company as the book).  By the end of my search I ended up with
	a slide rule type (jeppesen CR5) despite the use of the electronic
	type in the flight book.  This was due to several reasons.  First,
	the electronic type was not available in any of the FBO's I visited.
	Second, All the "locals" I spoke to said the slide rule type is
	perfectly fine, reliable, and less expensive.  And third, I assumed
	(with my very little statistical data) that most pilots must prefer
	the traditional type since no one knows about the modern replacement
	for the traditional slide rule.

	-> Do you flyers out in netland have a preference ?
	   Is the modern marvel really available at FBO's ?
	   Do new pilots have a different preference than older pilots ?
	   Finally, Is one easier to use than the other ?

	:-)  Mark Nickson  HHB Softron 1000 Wyckoff Ave Mahwah, NJ 07430
								201-848-8000

ron@brl-tgr.ARPA (Ron Natalie <ron>) (12/02/84)

Having grown up with slide rules I have no problem with the wiz-wheel
calculator.  Mostly my calculations don't require absolute precision and
it's nice to be able to visualize the wind and other calculations rather
than punching little buttons while flying along.  Mostly though, I think
it's because I bought a friends spare whiz wheel when I was in pre-private
groundschool and never bothered to shell out any more money on a new one.

-Ron

dmmartindale@watcgl.UUCP (Dave Martindale) (12/03/84)

Well, I know the Avstar is available at my local flying club.  I don't own
one, though every once in a while I think about it.  Basically, the idea
of a specialized calculator where I could just key in wind speed, direction,
true track, and true airspeed and get out true heading and groundspeed
appeals to me - that's how a flight-planning calculator should work.

I already do the other calculations involved in flight planning with
a calculator, and I've written a program for my HP-10C to do the typical
wind-drift calculation (though it is awkward to use).  So for me, buying
a specialized calculator would get me a better "user interface", but I'd
lose Reverse Polish Notation for input, which I like, and probably
lose the HP's nice floating point too (I haven't looked closely at the
Avstar - I don't know if it really has scientific notation).  Also, the
HP doesn't know how to handle TAS/CAS conversions, pressure/density
altitude conversions, and that sort of thing.

But I definitely don't like the old-fashioned slide-rule type of
flight computer, for the same reason that I prefer a digital calculator
to a slide rule - it's simply easier to use, and more accurate.
I still carry the slide-rule type though, for the functions that
my calculator doesn't provide, and as a backup (no batteries!).

cfiaime@ihnp4.UUCP (Jeff Williams) (12/03/84)

An aviation computer is a very personal thing.  I still have a soft
spot in my heart for the big, old, aluminum E6-B that I bought from
my first instructor for a whopping $5.  However, even though it will
not warp in the sun, I find that I don't use it as much as I used to.

Enter the Jeppeson Avstar electronic flight computer.  This thing is
fantastic for preflight calculations.  Lets face it, the density
altitude computations alone are worth the $50 that the calculator costs
from the discount houses.  I used it for my ATP written with good
results.  But, in the air it is, in my opinion, worthless.

Consider, oh fellow aviators, just what it takes to enter a simple
time, speed, and distance problem into one of these marvels of modern
technology.  One keystroke for each digit.  One keystroke to define
what the data is that you just entered.  One keystroke to let the beast
know that you are ready to see a result.  While in flight, that is a
lot of time with the head in the cockpit punching buttons.

In flight, to keep tabs on myself, I use a Jeppeson CR-2 shirt pocket
circular computer.  You can set it once, and then check ground speeds
just by looking at your clock and glancing at the computer.  It doesn't
need total recalculation for every checkpoint.  Sure, a tweek of a knot
or two, but that is a one-hand operaton.

Oh indeed I tried my trusty Avstar in flight.  In such machines as a King
Air, a Funk, and even the Valmet Pik-23.  The only machine it was really
useful in was the Valmet, because I could easily convert IAS in Kilometers
to Knots, then take that and convert the whole mess to TAS.  It could be
done on the CR-2, but what a pain.

Of course, for the simplest flight computer, a watch with a "tachymeter"
on it used to time the section lines...

				Jeff Williams
				AT&T Bell Laboratories
				ihnp4!cfiaime

doug@terak.UUCP (Doug Pardee) (12/03/84)

[I'm being the Devil's Advocate -- been on retainer for some time]]

My view is not to be confused with the popular view... I know of few
pilots who agree with me... but...

I say buy a cheapie all-plastic circular slide rule type, and then
throw it out after you pass your flight test.  Aviation calculators
only multiply, divide, and do wind triangles.  Any 10-buck calculator
can do multiplication and division plus a bunch of other neat stuff
like addition, subtraction, etc.  Besides, anyone that is smart
enough to figure out how to run a calculator can figure out all of
the normal piloty stuff in his head (I'm being serious).  All
except wind triangles, which are of no use unless you know what
the wind direction and speed are.  And if you think that the
Weather Service knows what the winds aloft are, I've got some
land in Southern Arizona that I'd like to sell you.

The only aviation calculator that I've seen that would have
been worthwhile was made by Heathkit a number of years ago.  It
included a clock, and would accept up to 9 checkpoints and
a flight plan.  As you passed over each checkpoint, you punched
a button and the calculator would figure out how long the preceding
leg took.  This information, combined with the heading that you
had to hold to get where you were going, allowed the calculator
to figure out what the wind must have been, and then would
extrapolate the following legs of the flight plan based on that
wind.  Then it could give you neat info like ETA at each
checkpoint, groundspeed, fuel remaining, etc.

Doug Pardee -- Terak Corp. -- !{hao,ihnp4,decvax}!noao!terak!doug

marcum@rhino.UUCP (Alan M. Marcum) (12/03/84)

I've been flying for a couple of years (~330 hours now).  I
learned to use a slipstick during primary training, but do most
of my pre- and in-flight calculations with my HP-67, using some
programs I wrote.  (I never did buy the slipstick!)  My programs
don't have everything the specialized calculators provide, but I
can handle 'course + wind => heading' and density and pressure
altitude conversions.  The ETA, fuel consumption, distances, etc.
I compute using the normal four-functions.

I do miss not having a great-circle computation facility, but I
just haven't gotten around to building that program yet.

And, yes, I carry a spare battery with me when I fly.
--
Alan M. Marcum		Fortune Systems, Redwood City, California
...!{ihnp4, ucbvax!amd, hpda, sri-unix, harpo}!fortune!rhino!marcum

herbie@watdcsu.UUCP (Herb Chong, Computing Services) (12/04/84)

I could be mistaken, but doesn't HP have a custom ROM for their 41C that
does the typical navigation calculations required for aviation?  This, of
course, is probably the most expensive alternative available, but I thought
you might want to know.
Herb...

jlg@lanl.ARPA (12/04/84)

> The only aviation calculator that I've seen that would have
> been worthwhile was made by Heathkit a number of years ago.  It
> included a clock, and would accept up to 9 checkpoints and
> a flight plan.  As you passed over each checkpoint, you punched
> a button and the calculator would figure out how long the preceding
> leg took.  This information, combined with the heading that you
> had to hold to get where you were going, allowed the calculator
> to figure out what the wind must have been, and then would
> extrapolate the following legs of the flight plan based on that
> wind.  Then it could give you neat info like ETA at each
> checkpoint, groundspeed, fuel remaining, etc.

That's easy.  I programmed my HP-41CV to do that months ago, and I'm not
even a pilot (yet).  Of course, only 9 checkpoints won't make it past
a cross country check ride.  My instructor wanted checkpoints every five
minutes!

dmmartindale@watcgl.UUCP (Dave Martindale) (12/06/84)

> Of course, only 9 checkpoints won't make it past
> a cross country check ride.  My instructor wanted checkpoints every five
> minutes!

Arghh.  This seems a bit excessive.  I'd rather spend my time looking out
the window than recalculating groundspeed all the time.

ron@brl-tgr.ARPA (Ron Natalie <ron>) (12/07/84)

Yes, actually, my first instructor was a physics prof at Johns Hopkins
and the class was all university students.  He pointed out that there
was no point in buying a computer since we all had scientific calculators
and we could do all that wind stuff with vector math (remember the law
of cosines).  I used a pocket TRASH-80 (which is unbearably slow) for
a while.  In addition to being able to do rudimentary math, part of its
programming was to use the spherical law of cosines to tell me how far
apart two points were given their latitude and longitude.  Handy for
getting rough distances between fields without unfolding a bunch of
charts.  Just look up the coordinates in the facilities directory.

-Ron

gmm@bunker.UUCP (Gregory M. Mandas) (12/07/84)

> > Of course, only 9 checkpoints won't make it past
> > a cross country check ride.  My instructor wanted checkpoints every five
> > minutes!
>
> Arghh.  This seems a bit excessive.  I'd rather spend my time looking out
> the window than recalculating groundspeed all the time.

That IS the point. You should spend the time looking out the window.
Remember pilotage. If you are talking about VFR (which I am) having a
checkpoint every fine minutes is seeing if the RR tracks below are the
same ones one the map. I think today's pilots are caught up in the
technology bit a little too much.

Greg mandas
ittvax!bunker!gmm

doug@terak.UUCP (Doug Pardee) (12/10/84)

> I used a pocket TRASH-80 (which is unbearably slow) for
> a while.  In addition to being able to do rudimentary math, part of its
> programming was to use the spherical law of cosines to tell me how far
> apart two points were given their latitude and longitude.  Handy for
> getting rough distances between fields without unfolding a bunch of
> charts.  Just look up the coordinates in the facilities directory.

You must not live in the West.  One doesn't fly a straight line
between two points out here.  If you try, you will a) pile into a
mountain, b) bust an Airport Traffic Area, c) bust a TCA, or
d) bust a restricted area.  And that's just during the climb-out!

AOPA keeps sending me literature on Flight Charts.  One of these
days they'll figure out that I've no use for charts where the
"airways" are computer-calculated as straight lines between
VOR's, and not based on the true airway alignment.  In addition,
VOR's out here tend to be affected by the mountainous terrain,
so the radial as computed by Flight Charts is often as much as
3 degrees off the airway as flight-tested by the FAA.

Doug Pardee -- Terak Corp. -- !{hao,ihnp4,decvax}!noao!terak!doug

lgl@cbosgd.UUCP (Lionel Lynch) (12/13/84)

In article <737@watdcsu.UUCP> herbie@watdcsu.UUCP (Herb Chong, Computing Services) writes:
>I could be mistaken, but doesn't HP have a custom ROM for their 41C that
>does the typical navigation calculations required for aviation?  This, of
>course, is probably the most expensive alternative available, but I thought
>you might want to know.
>Herb...

HP does make a special ROM for the HP41 and variations thereof.
The price was about 60 dollars when last I checked..
		-Lionel (cbosgd!lgl)

demillo@uwmacc.UUCP (Rob DeMillo) (12/13/84)

> 	 By the end of my search I ended up with
> 	a slide rule type (jeppesen CR5) despite the use of the electronic
> 	type in the flight book.  This was due to several reasons.  First,
> 	the electronic type was not available in any of the FBO's I visited.
> 	Second, All the "locals" I spoke to said the slide rule type is
> 	perfectly fine, reliable, and less expensive.  And third, I assumed
> 	(with my very little statistical data) that most pilots must prefer
> 	the traditional type since no one knows about the modern replacement
> 	for the traditional slide rule.
>
> 	-> Do you flyers out in netland have a preference ?
> 	   Is the modern marvel really available at FBO's ?
> 	   Do new pilots have a different preference than older pilots ?
> 	   Finally, Is one easier to use than the other ?
>
> 	:-)  Mark Nickson  HHB Softron 1000 Wyckoff Ave Mahwah, NJ 07430
> 								201-848-8000

   Perference? When the Christmas season is over I plan on
getting the electronic version. (I currently have the slide rule.)
My reasons are the same for buying an electronic calculator over
a slide rule calculator...I DETEST fidgeting with the little
knobs, slides, and fiddly things. I also am not too pleased with
keeping track of the differences between 0.1 1.0 and 10.0 ...
   Just a personal observation...
             --- Rob DeMillo
                 MACC
                  ...seismo!uwvax!uwmacc!demillo

wtm@ihuxb.UUCP (Peter Fales) (12/16/84)

>> In article <737@watdcsu.UUCP> herbie@watdcsu.UUCP (Herb Chong, Computing Services) writes:
>> >I could be mistaken, but doesn't HP have a custom ROM for their 41C that
>> >does the typical navigation calculations required for aviation?  This, of
>> >course, is probably the most expensive alternative available, but I thought
>> >you might want to know.
>> >Herb...
>>

>> HP does make a special ROM for the HP41 and variations thereof.
>> The price was about 60 dollars when last I checked..
		-Lionel (cbosgd!lgl)

HP41 ROM modules are down to about $35 (the price I paid for
my aviation module)

Peter Fales
ihnp4!iwlc7!psfales