[net.math] Labeling a Lattice

rokhsar@lasspvax.UUCP (Dan Rokhsar) (05/06/85)

Newsgroup: net.math
Subject: Labeling a lattice
Expires:
Here's a problem related to the "can we map a square to an interval" problem,
but with a twist.

Consider an N x N square lattice (the generalization to higher dimensions is
trivial).  We wish to assign a unique integer between 1 and N^2 to each
lattice site, so that the maximum difference between adjacent labels is
minimized.  Boundary conditions can be either free or periodic.

Questions:
	1.	How does the minimum maximal difference (MMD) vary with
		the size of the square?  The dimension of the hypercube?
	2.	Can we find a rigorous lower bound to the MMD? (by constructing
		a labeling, we have found that MMD <= (D N)^(D-1) in D
		dimensions, and by considering the best labeling of a
		single point and its neighbors, MMD >= (2^D) : a Monte-
		Carlo approach has yielded an ordering qualitatively similar
		to the one that gives (D N)^(D-1), at least in 2 dimensions)
	3.	Is this problem discussed anywhere? if so, could you send
		us references?

One Dimensional Case:
	An optimal labeling with free boundary conditions is (obviously)
	1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 ... (N-2) (N-1) N		MMD = 1

	With periodic boundary conditions, an optimal one is (for N even)
	1 3 5 7 9 ... (N-1) N (N-2) (N-4) ... 6 4 2     MMD = 2

This can be generalized to two and higher dimensions to get our upper bound
(left as an exercise to the reader).

			Dan Rokhsar
			Steve White

pmontgom@sdcrdcf.UUCP (Peter Montgomery) (05/16/85)

>Consider an N x N square lattice (the generalization to higher dimensions is
>trivial).  We wish to assign a unique integer between 1 and N^2 to each
>lattice site, so that the maximum difference between adjacent labels is
>minimized.  Boundary conditions can be either free or periodic.

>        1.      How does the minimum maximal difference (MMD) vary with
>                the size of the square?  The dimension of the hypercube?
>        2.      Can we find a rigorous lower bound to the MMD? (by constructing
>                a labeling, we have found that MMD <= (D N)^(D-1) in D
>                dimensions, and by considering the best labeling of a
>                single point and its neighbors, MMD >= (2^D) : a Monte-
>                Carlo approach has yielded an ordering qualitatively similar
>                to the one that gives (D N)^(D-1), at least in 2 dimensions)

>                        Dan Rokhsar
>                        Steve White

The stated lower bound assumes N >= 1.  Another lower bound is
(N^D-1)/(D*(N-1)).  Observe some point is labeled 1 and another point is
labeled N^D.  There is a path of length at most D*(N-1) connecting these
points, hence the bound.  Consequently there exist two constants c1(D) and
c2(D) such that

		c1(D) <= MMD(D, N)/N^(D-1) <= c2(D)

for all N > 1.
--
			Peter Montgomery

	{aero,allegra,bmcg,burdvax,hplabs,
	 ihnp4,psivax,randvax,sdcsvax,trwrb}!sdcrdcf!pmontgom

Don't blame me for the crowded freeways - I don't drive.