[net.aviation] Flight Simulator programs

davis@uwmacc.UUCP (john davis) (03/05/85)

Are there any differences between Flight Simulator by Microsoft and
Flight Simulator II by SubLogic? I have access to both an Apple and
an IBM PC so I could use either. I plan to use the program to
familiarize myself with IFR procedures before beginning IFR training.

notes@ucf-cs.UUCP (03/11/85)

s far as i know sub-logic corp's president
a univ of ill graduate wrote the simulator
and then had it distributed by micro-soft   so should be the same
one in either case. Name of writer is Bruce Atwick
and Sub-logic is headquartered in Champaign Illinois.
Atwick is a cessna 172 driver er owner hence the cessna like
response on simulator.
.

dwight@timeinc.UUCP (Dwight Ernest) (03/13/85)

I don't have the documentation in front of me, but it would appear
that the Microsoft Flight Simulator (and FS-II) was written for
MS by Sublogic. So they're pretty much the same, perhaps; I don't
know, since I've never used the Apple version. I LOVE the IBM PC
version--it's endlessly fascinating and helpful, and it appears
to be a pretty good 182 Cessna simulation.

scott@opus.UUCP (Scott Wiesner) (03/16/85)

> I LOVE the IBM PC
> version--it's endlessly fascinating and helpful, and it appears
> to be a pretty good 182 Cessna simulation.

I agree that this is a wonderful program.  No IBM PC owner should
be without it.   However, the it does have it's quirks.  The first
version would do wonderful rolls, but wouldn't loop.  Also, it got
confused if you rolled inverted.  For a fast way to gain a lot of
altitude, roll inverted and start clicking in down elevator.  Most
parts of the simulator seemed to understand that you were going up,
but somewhere it gets confused, thinks you're going down, and pegs
the airspeed indicator up at 200 knots.  I have no idea whether this
has been fixed in FSII.
--

Scott Wiesner
{allegra, ucbvax, hao}!nbires!scott

scw@cepu.UUCP (Stephen C. Woods) (03/18/85)

In article <108@timeinc.UUCP> dwight@timeinc.UUCP (Dwight Ernest) writes:

>[...]c. So they're pretty much the same, perhaps; I don't
>know, since I've never used the Apple version. I LOVE the IBM PC
>version--it's endlessly fascinating and helpful, and it appears
>to be a pretty good 182 Cessna simulation.

I have the latest APPLE ][ version and it's a fair simulation of the
Piper Archer II (PA28-181).  My only complaints are (1)It is almost unflyable
using a Joystick (as documented), and (2) They used a poor choice of colors
for the Artifical horizion (in monocrome mode it is very hard to tell top
from bottom, guess I just have to spring for a Color Monitor).
--
Stephen C. Woods (VA Wadsworth Med Ctr./UCLA Dept. of Neurology)
uucp:	{ {ihnp4, uiucdcs}!bradley, hao, trwrb}!cepu!scw