[net.aviation] Space

wmartin@brl-tgr.ARPA (Will Martin ) (04/22/85)

I waded thru SPACE, which I found to be, shall we say, "not dense" -- it
would have made a nice 4-hour two-night movie if they had left out the
soap opera and kept in the space-related parts...

Anyway, why I am copying net.aviation on this -- I seem to have seen
some wildly anachronistic aircraft shots in this mini-series. I didn't
take notes, so I can't be too specific, but I kept seeing aircraft
in shots that were supposed to be in the 50's and 60's that appeared to be
of much more recent vintage.

The ironic thing is that there was a half-hour program about the making of
"Space" in which the producer/director/whatever were discussing all the
pains they took to make it authentic and accurate, emphasizing there
the moon scenes. Yet I recall shots of what was supposed to be the mid 50's
when John Polk was in Colorado, as a Navy pilot on educational leave
studying for his doctorate, where they showed shots of an USAF plane over
the Rockies that he was supposed to be flying. I can accept some sort of
inter-service courtesy to allow pilots in the other services to use another
service's aircraft for keeping flight pay and in monthly training/
familiarization flights, but the aircraft appeared to be some modern
century-series craft, which, even if it was operational at the time,
would not have been available for such galivanting around in; he should have
been flying some sort of older craft, like something in the F-90's series.

Also, the planes they were supposed to be TESTING, as brand new prototypes,
at Pax River, seemed to be the same planes earlier shots used as their
ordinary ferry-craft, used for getting from one station to another!

Maybe I'm wrong here; I've lost a good deal of the instant-recognition
knowledge I used to have for fighter craft, so I can't rattle off
designations and specifics. But maybe somebody out there who knows
this stuff better caught some of this show and can comment...

Regards,

Will Martin

USENET: seismo!brl-bmd!wmartin     or   ARPA/MILNET: wmartin@almsa-1.ARPA

karn@petrus.UUCP (04/24/85)

Glad to see my opinions of "Space" were not unique.  I wrote them before
the 5th episode, which was in many ways the most disappointing. I was appalled
to find out how much this turkey cost; for $25M they should
have been able to hire people who knew the difference between the ascent
and descent stages of a lunar module. During the descent to the moon, the
LM alternately shed and regained its descent stage. I'm surprised that they
didn't portray the actual lunar landing by showing the liftoff in reverse.
Earlier, in the Saturn V launch, they have the launcher moving before the
engines even ignite. In the "astronaut over a cliff" scene (which was all
too predictable) nobody seemed to care that even an astronaut in full
gear could be easily lifted by another in 1/6 G.  Gag.

I have always felt that "truth is stranger than fiction" when it comes
to space stories. A very few writers, such as Arthur C. Clarke, have
the imagination (and technical understanding) to create believable fiction
that is even half as riveting as the real thing. The rest should stay with
documentaries. Apollo 13 was one of the best cliffhangers of all time, and
it was for real.

Phil

brad@gcc-bill.ARPA (Brad Parker) (04/24/85)

In article <332@petrus.UUCP> karn@petrus.UUCP writes:
>Glad to see my opinions of "Space" were not unique.  I wrote them before
>the 5th episode, which was in many ways the most disappointing. I was appalled
>to find out how much this turkey cost; for $25M they should

Believe it or not, the book is fantastic. I did, however, fall into such
a state of depression when the LEM borked in that I threw it away.

New trust the tv to do any justice to a good book.
("Yew know, like, we can do such a TREATMENT of this PROPERTY....")

--

J Bradford Parker
uucp: seismo!harvard!gcc-bill!brad

"I've seen this happen in other people's lives...
	and now it's happening in mine."		-The Smiths

dsmith@hplabsc.UUCP (David Smith) (04/26/85)

I only kept going with the series because it was supposed to be about
SPACE.  My impression is that it had about as much to do about space
as "Dallas" has to do with oil exploration.

As for anachronistic planes, get the flying around in 727s in the
late '50s and early '60s;  or test flying an A-4M (late '70s).  I
suppose we might forgive them for the latter, since it doesn't look
so much different from early A-4s.  At least they used a T-33 (or T2V)
for a chase plane.

One shot of a "Saturn V" was actually of a Saturn IB.

I'm annoyed that they didn't even mention Robert Goddard.

A cute touch:  when the German rocket scientists were being loaded into the
back of a US Army truck, one (who had no lines but did look at the camera)
looked like Werner von Braun.

		David Smith

tjj@ssc-vax.UUCP (T J Jardine) (05/01/85)

> I'm annoyed that they didn't even mention Robert Goddard.
> 		David Smith

While I was also mildly disappointed with the lack of attention to detail
from an aviator's point of view, I do seem to remember that Goddard was
mentioned very specifically at the very beginning of the series.

TJ (with Amazing Grace) The Piper
Boeing Artificial Intelligence Center
...uw-beaver!ssc-vax!bcsaic!ted