[net.math] EISPACK

edwardd@burdvax.UUCP (Edward Dougherty) (05/14/85)

Several people have responded to my request for a routine to generate
the eigenvalues of a real non-symetric matrix sugesting EISPACK or ISML,
EISPACK being in the public domain. I cannot find a reference for either
and our system administrator has no knowledge of either; unfortunately
this is for school so the company will not buy a package for the VAX.
Can someone advise me of a reference for EISEPACK?

Thanks to all,

Ed Dougherty
allegra!psuvax!burdvax!edwardd

phaedrus@eneevax.UUCP (The Sophist) (05/15/85)

I think Dr. C. Moler at the University of New Mexico (I think) or
Dr. G. Stewart at the University of Maryland maybe able to help you.

They are authors of LINPAK.

--
			Pravin Kumar

Don't bother me! I'm on an emergency third rail power trip.

ARPA:   phaedrus!eneevax@maryland
UUCP:   {seismo,allegra,brl-bmd}!umcp-cs!eneevax!phaedrus

ken@turtlevax.UUCP (Ken Turkowski) (05/17/85)

In article <2009@burdvax.UUCP> edwardd@burdvax.UUCP (Edward Dougherty) writes:
>Several people have responded to my request for a routine to generate
>the eigenvalues of a real non-symetric matrix sugesting EISPACK or ISML,
>EISPACK being in the public domain.

If EISPACK and LINPACK are in the public domain, is there any reason why
they couldn't be posted to the net?  Has anyone converted any of these
from Fortran to C?
--

Ken Turkowski @ CADLINC, Menlo Park, CA
UUCP: {amd,decwrl,hplabs,nsc,seismo,spar}!turtlevax!ken

brownc@utah-cs.UUCP (Eric C. Brown) (05/19/85)

In article <764@turtlevax.UUCP> ken@turtlevax.UUCP (Ken Turkowski) writes:
>Has anyone converted any of these (EISPACK, etc)
>from Fortran to C?
>--

Rosetta Software Services offers EISPACK, LINPACK, and MINPACK (a
nonlinear optimization package) for many, many languages, including:

BASIC, FORTRAN, C, PLI/M, Pascal, Modula, Ada, Jovial, Algol, Turing, and RPL,
running on any VAX, 370, or PC environment.

The cost is $100/package (one package, one language) plus a media charge of
$100/order.  These packages come complete with source code, test drivers, and
documentation, and are distributed on floppies, magtape, or listings.  The
source code is released with no restrictions aside from outright resale.

I have not dealt with Rosetta Software; this information comes from a
brochure sent by them.  Their address is:

Rosetta Software Services
P.O. Box 404
Belmont MA 02178

617-489-3727

Eric C. Brown
brownc@utah-cs
{ihnp4, seismo, decvax}!utah-cs!brownc

trh@ukc.UUCP (T.R.Hopkins) (05/24/85)

EISPACK is available from either IMSL (approx cost $75) or free (?) from
the Argonne Code Centre, Argonne National Laboratory, Argonne,
Illinois 60439. I think the code centre will only service US sites.

Argonne have a code distribution service over the ARPAnet, I assume it
is public but you may like to check with DONGARRA@ANL-MCS.ARPA.
If you mail NETLIB@ANL-MCS.ARPA the message

send eispack

and provided the size restrictions on mailing large files allow it,
EISPACK will arrive by mail. If you are only interested in individual
routines sent the message

send routine from eispack

all dependencies come as well.

We've implemented the whole package on our vax11/750, 11/780 running
4.2bsd making any code changes at all and it worked fine.

Documentation of the routines is provided in

1) Garbow B.S. et al "Matrix Eigensystem Routines - EISPACK Guide Extension"
Lecture Notes in Computer Science Vol 51 1977

and
2) Smith B.T. et al "Matrix Eigensystem Routines - EISPACK Guide "
Lecture Notes in Computer Science Vol 6 1976

they retail approx $10 apiece and contain a lot more info than just
how to use the routines.

Tim Hopkins,
Computing Laboratory,
University of Kent,