[net.aviation] Was it something I said?

wanttaja@ssc-vax.UUCP (Ronald J Wanttaja) (05/20/85)

<Hallooooooo!  Pfft! Pfft! Halloooooo!>

Is one of the sites for net.aviation down?  Us aviators don't like anything
"down."  Anyway, traffic on this net has been nearly non-existent for two
weeks.  Yet I have recieved some mail regarding my last posting, so stuff
is getting out to some places.  Does anyone have the right scoop?

Or do we need a sufficiently outragous topic to start conversation again?
Like, "The USAAF should never have produced the Mustang, and should have
lavished the money on a good fighter, like the P-39."  Or, "forget the B-1-
buy 10,000 C-172s equipped for aerial refueling."  Not good enough?  Ehhhh,
your mother flies Culver Cadets...

					Ron Wanttaja
					(ssc-vax!wanttaja)

"Eavahbuddy knows, Will, the Aeah Foace is jus' the Ahmy's heppers..."

rl@ucsfcgl.UUCP (Robert Langridge%CGL) (05/23/85)

In article <759@ssc-vax.UUCP> wanttaja@ssc-vax.UUCP (Ronald J Wanttaja) writes:

>Is one of the sites for net.aviation down?  Us aviators don't like anything
>"down."  Anyway, traffic on this net has been nearly non-existent for two
>weeks.

I was wondering too.  Thanks, Ron.

>Or do we need a sufficiently outragous topic to start conversation again?
>Like, "The USAAF should never have produced the Mustang, and should have
>lavished the money on a good fighter..."

Agreed, they should have bought Spitfires.

So, while on the subject of beautiful aircraft, what are the net nominations
for "most beautiful aircraft"?  Form does not always follow function, but
some, like the Spitfire, Concorde, Voyager and almost any high performance
sailplane, certainly qualify.

Bob Langridge.  rl@ucsfcgl  (UUCP and ARPA).

beslove@osu-eddie.UUCP (Adam Beslove) (05/26/85)

> So, while on the subject of beautiful aircraft, what are the net nominations
> for "most beautiful aircraft"?  Form does not always follow function, but
> some, like the Spitfire, Concorde, Voyager and almost any high performance
> sailplane, certainly qualify.
>
> Bob Langridge.  rl@ucsfcgl  (UUCP and ARPA).

Ok.  Canards really get me hot.  I like the Saab Viggen and the RAF *-EZE's.
The B-1A is especially pretty, especially in cammie makeup!  OOooooooo!
The Concord is a real cuttie.  How I love those fluffy spiraled contrails!

The Shuttle doesn't really get me going.  The Dynosaur program should not
have been replaced  by Mercury.  We might have had some really sexy reusable
space trucks.  The Shuttle is cute the way a fat girl wearing a nice dress
and lots of makeup is cute.  It's a good try and we must laud it if we want
to see any real improvement.  Hell!  The thing's just a refractory brick with
refractory wings.  :-)

Hey!  Some of my friends fly for U.S. Air!

(UUCP: ...!cbosgd!osu-eddie!beslove)
(CSNet: beslove@ohio-state)		        The world is my sandbox,
(ARPA: beslove%ohio-state.csnet@CSNET-RELAY)    humanity my playmates.

scw@cepu.UUCP (Stephen C. Woods) (06/03/85)

In article <511@ucsfcgl.UUCP> rl@ucsfcgl.UUCP writes:
>In article <759@ssc-vax.UUCP> wanttaja@ssc-vax.UUCP (Ronald J Wanttaja) writes:
>>
>>Is one [...] produced the Mustang, and should have
>>lavished the money on a good fighter..."
>
>Agreed, they should have bought Spitfires.

Nah, the problem with the Spit is no range (worth mentioning). What we should
have done is reworked that A6M2 (Type 00) that we picked up, and made it more
robust while keeping the LONG range and good handling.

>So, while on the subject of beautiful aircraft, what are the net nominations
>for "most beautiful aircraft"?  Form does not always follow function, but
>some, like the Spitfire, Concorde, Voyager and almost any high performance
>sailplane, certainly qualify.

OK, folks here's one that'll get the ball rolling (and fill my mailbox too).

In my considered opinion the most beautiful A/C ever made is the
Consolidated Catalina (PBY-4, PBY-5).  My second choice is the
prototype YB-26 (Martin Maruder, Baltimore Whore, or One a day in Tampa
Bay), the production models had too many bumps, lumps and protrusions,
and they took off those beautiful spinners.

--
Stephen C. Woods (VA Wadsworth Med Ctr./UCLA Dept. of Neurology)
uucp:	{ {ihnp4, uiucdcs}!bradley, hao, trwrb}!cepu!scw

ted@bcsaic.UUCP (ted jardine) (06/10/85)

In article <469@cepu.UUCP> scw@cepu.UUCP (Stephen C. Woods) writes:
>OK, folks here's one that'll get the ball rolling (and fill my mailbox too).
>
>In my considered opinion the most beautiful A/C ever made is the
>Consolidated Catalina (PBY-4, PBY-5). ...

Well, well, well!!!  After all these years (16 as a CFI-AI) I finally find
someone who not only knows what a Catalina is (PBY-4/5) but actually likes
them!  I can definitely second the nomination for the PBY Catalina as a very
beautiful aircraft.  But then I recognize I am prejudiced, particularly
since my ambition in life is to outfit a Catalina as a mobile home, including
lab and library, and investigate meteorological variations in the islands and
continents of the world.